Rulers are sliding

PattyJo

I was just wondering, can I or maybe should I be putting some of the plastic film that goes on a rotary ruler onto the back of my thicker LA rulers? When I use them, I seem to have to push down very hard to hold them where I want to be stitching. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Should I be holding them with a hard hand or a lighter hand? Any help would be great. Thanks

Hi Patty Jo. Well, I am still learning but I use a semi-light pressure on the ruler and I am doing OK without it sliding. I find that I need to keep just a little pressure on the ruler or it pushes too much down through and on to the machine and then the machine doesn\'t want to move! :D However, I have seen (read it here) where some quilters put those little sandpaper dots on the bottom of the ruler to keep them from sliding. You could experiment with one ruler to see what you think about the little dots.

Thanks Debbi - I already have some of that & the Goo Gone to clean them with. I think that I have probably been either holding them down too hard or not hard enough and I can\'t seem to find the middle ground. The spray baste will help and not make my arm cramp up!!

Patty Jo, do you stop and slide the ruler (alternating with the quilting foot?) Kinda like a dance? I find it easier to hold the ruler still, move the hopping foot, stop and then move the ruler again; stop and repeat. It is harder for me to slide the ruler along and quilt at the same time (and easier to slip and mess up!)

Shana - yep that\'s what I\'m trying to do, move the ruler along with the hopping foot. Never thought about that as I have watched others move all at the same time and thought that is what I should be doing also. Maybe I need to do it as you do, hold the ruler still until the hopping foot is about to go off on it\'s own, then move the ruler again.

Yes! Definitely alternate between moving the ruler and the hopping foot! Missy Myrna taught me that one! :) And, don\'t move the hopping foot to the very edge before stoping and sliding the ruler! THat\'s is dangerous, too! Try to only quilt keeping the hopping foot centered in the middle section of the ruler, not to the very end. You loose leverage on your ruler at the ends (similar to holding a rotary cutting ruler). Just do what you feel comfortable and when it gets awkward, stop and move the ruler again.

I have to jump in here with a silly question. I just got done with a big quilt with lots of ruler work. I do it both ways, slide and stitch like for a SID border and set ruler-stitch-move ruler for star points and small spaces. I don\'t do anything to my ruler (dots, plastic wrap, spray or otherwise). I like mine to slide a bit.

But I have noticed that it is a balancing act to get just the right amount of space between the backing and the expanded base. When I first starting learning to use a ruler, I found that I had to adjust the take-up roller on my Ultimate I (remove washers at roller ends), it was too high. My new machine has a crank that raises/lowers the take-up roller so as the roller gets full, I raise (crank) the roller.

Then I sometimes forget when I start my next quilt and I put my needle in place and have this big gap between the backing and the expanded base and the ruler seems to drag because it is not making good contact with the expanded base. I don\'t have that much trouble with round-edged rulers but my SID ruler has square corners that seem to dig in to the quilt top unless the base is touching the backing.Does that make sense.

Linda, Debbi & Shana - I knew that I came to the right place to get the answers that I needed. You all have good tips and I think that I just need to do a lot more ppp with rulers to get a better feel for them. I started out using the"Itty Bitty" to do my SID and slid it along with the hopping foot so therefore, I just moved that technique to other rulers and that\'s where I gooffffffeedd up! Thanks for your help.

Make sure you\'re not using a ruler that\'s too long for the job! It\'s easy to lose control, forget to move your hand and have the end of the ruler pop up and hit the needle bar or worse, have a chunk taken out by the needle.

The largest ruler I use is the one that comes with the Hartley Expanded base. More often I use the one by the Gadget Girls, Janet-Lee\'s Favorite. My students are only allowed to use the Dainty Ditcher or the Gadget Girls "Little Girl" until I see that they are keeping their hand on the ruler near the needle area.

You want a very LIGHT pressure on the ruler. It is there just as a guide to let the foot ride against. Like anything else, SID just takes practice, and if you\'ll practice with your black light and Bottom Line White #621, AND a side-lit neon ruler like Gadget Girls, you\'ll see your seam is lit up like a runway and the thread like a headlight! You\'ll be amazed at how many colors you can use this thread on. It\'s so fine and almost sheer, that it really picks up the color of the fabric you\'re stitching on.

Here are a couple of pictures from a Beginners Workshop. Note that only the thumb and 2 fingers are on the ruler. The other 2 fingers are on the quilt top to stablize it. This really helps when you\'re working near the edge of the quilt and stitching on the diagonal, but I do it all the time.

The little circles on the back of the ruler are like the plastic dots you put on the inside of cupboard doors to keep them from banging. I find the sandpaper dots scratch up the other rulers in the drawer. If I need "grip" I put the gripper side down; if I\'m "sliding" the ruler as I stitch, I just turn it over to the other side so it\'s smooth on the back.

Darlene Epp

Darlene--you are a goddess! It is lovely that you share all the hints with us. Something as simple as turning the ruler over when you want to do the slide-dance--great tip!!!

And Patty Jo, I have used Press and Seal plastic wrap from the grocery store on the back of larger rulers. It will keep the ruler in place with no sticky stuff to deal with. It lasts a long time, is cheap, and easily removable and replaceable. I started using this on my rotary rulers back a hundred years ago when I had time to piece.

thank you Darlene, Your pictures are great and I\'m glad I didn\'t get the sandpaper dots yet. I\'ll get the cushioned ones for door cabinets. I have just changed out my light bar for the Ikea lights that were on the chat here about a month ago, so I\'ll have to get a blacklight for my old lightbar. Also, I\'ll make sure I have the #621 Bottom Line so that I can go like a house a-fire (or at least a slow burn) on getting my SID & other ruler work down better. Thanks again.

I just bought the Rubber Stamp Positioner Ruler at Michaels last night and want to try to use it to SID on my next quilt. So far I have not been able to stay on line at all. I am putting together a drunkard\'s path that I want to SID for the most part. I cut the pieces on my Accucut and they went together so well if I can do the SID it should look good. If not back to Pantos. I have tried using the extended base with the rulers that casme with it but the Millenium still goes wherever it wantsd to. At least the ruler won\'t be a total waste as it can be used to position embroideries. Will let you know how it works.

I like my ruler to have a little bit of grip on some fabrics; especially if they are a little slick. Try just a couple of strips of double stick scotch tape on the back of your ruler to help hold it in place. If it grips TOO MUCH just run your fingers along the tape and smooth out or rub off some of the stickiness. When it gets dirty or I need to add just that little bit of grip to my ruler the tape just peels of cleanly and I can apply a new piece of tape.

By the way, I LOVE the Itty Bitty by Off the Edge Quilting for doing my SID work. It is tiny and can be manuvered around those corners and seems that are just a little bit off in the piecing.

yes,get some of those sandpaper dots at the notions department at any fabric store. or go to the hardware store and get sandpaper with adhesive backing. Stick that to the back of your rulers. They won\'t slip.

HI Patty Jo.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal

I can make perfectly straight lines going vertically, but if I am going horizontally, I often end up getting squiggles. I go slow, but I also don\'t have a stitch regulator, so if I slow too much my stitches are alllllllll close together.

Any hints on horizontal SID? Also, I have a hard time seeing because I have tri-focals and if I bend down to see I have to try to hold my head up and get a "crick" in my neck! It\'s actually kinda funny - glad no one is around to see me!

Archived