Quilt E-Z vs Circle Lord vs Hartley Fence

Grace

I own all three modes of making designs on the quilt. Each has its own purpose, and some good points about them all. CL is the most expensive, but has lots of possibilities. HF is the 'father' of these newer modes and I am grateful to Marilyn Badger and her husband Hartley for getting involved to improve our skills as quilters away from very simple,or time consuming patterns. QEZ is the 'new kid' on the block, and their products are helpful as well. Their cost seems to be the best and , as a young company, are eager to make any improvements that seem reasonable when brought to their attention.

As I have posted before, I love my CL, especially my large templates. My girlfriend did buy the Quilt-EZ products but the Baptist Fan is not a continuous line pattern and the ZigZag has limited applications where the CL one has 20+ designs from that single template. When you compare prices you also need to compare length (size), and versatility. How many different designs can you make with a single template? Also, how easy is it to use. The length of the CL templates and the continuous quilting design has cut down my quilting time by two-thirds. I wouldn't have to stop at all if my bobbins held more thread. I have used all three systems, as well, and my pick would be the Circle Lord. When you factor in all of the variables there isn't that much difference in cost and they have paid for themselves several times over already. Hope this helps.

Happy Quilting :D

Jean,

Can you use the CL with out a stitch regulator easily and with good results? I really would like to do an upgrade to get a stitch regulator but I also want to get the CL one costs a few thousand and the other under or close to 1,000.

Thanks,

Yes, the templates are so easy that you can certainly go a constant speed without a stitch regulator. Try one of Circle Lord's big templates first, king clams, zig zag or baptist fan and you will increase your income rather right away. That should make it easier to buy the rest of the things you want. I charge custom rates when I use the large templates and it takes much less time. My clients love them too. Let me know what you get first.

Of the three that I own, I use the CL the most often, however, the Lace design for the Quilt E-Z is a favorite of the ladies who rent my machine. The CL Baptist Fan is used the least. Not sure why exactly. The Hartley Fence is seldom used at all, unless I need some design from their stencil collection. I am debating the Crosshatch from CL or QEZ. CL is more versatile, but the QEZ looks easier and moving it the same as the CL directions would give similar results. Except it does not have the wavy lines to play with. I will probably end up purchasing the CL Crosshatch template when I do make up my mind.;)

I love my CL crosshatch. It's easy to use and I like the larger size. I am surprised that your CL Baptist Fan is the least used because my clients love it. Of course, I get a custom rate with it so it's definitely one of my favorites. My clients also love the CL king clams. It is very popular and looks wonderful on the quilts. It certainly makes my life easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you charge 'custom' on all the CL templates? The clam is definitely my favorite because it is so easy and really looks great on anything. The smaller CL templates are definitely worthy of 'custom' pricing, but the E2E larger templates are relatively simple to space out on the quilt. I'm all for making money, so if the Baptist Fan is considered 'custom', I'll gladly change my pricing for its use.:)

Archived