How do you test your stitches

michelleslongarm

I keep a supply of muslin squares, about 2 inches square and put them on the side of my quilt. There is enough quilt sandwich there, if the customer follows directions that is, to test your stitches on. I find using the same batting and backing gives a better test. The muslin would represent 100% cotton as your top. Is this as clear as mud ?

Glenda

I have a test sandwich about 2 1/2 feet square that I use. I cut the cardboard tubing that my batting came on down to 18 inches, I have two, cut a stripe out about 2 inches wide and this slides over the rails really nice and holds my test sandwich onto the rails so I can adjust my tension.

I just put the machine on 12 spi and manual, and run a sandwich under the needle. Just like the old days with my DSM and freemotion. Do it all standing up. Pull off the tester and check the back and the front for tension problems. It\'s great to get so many opinions and hints here!

I usually lay a small piece of fabric, something similar (or same, if it\'s mine) to the pieces in the top, out on the edge of the backing/batting - that way I can check tension, thread color, etc., before touching the quilt itself. And that small area is then available to test each new thread weight/color as they are used.

I have long scrap strips about 10" wide pinned from the backing roller to the pick up roller and test on that. I just stick about 4 pins in to leaders and that holds it nice and snug. It\'s great cause you can quickly un-pin the strip and have a really good look at both sides of your stitching. I find myself near the window where the lighting is better cause the ol\' peepers aint what they used to be ;)

cheers

Love the cardboard tube idea--I have been trying to figure something out for that besides pinning into the leaders--I was thinking about pvc tubes--but I like the free tubes better--now I had better get rid of a roll of batting soon!! Thanks

• 1 month later...

Archived