Star in a star in a star with booboo

O.k. yes - these are great clamps.... but you can also make them. I finally found the right thickness of pvc pipe. It is the stuff they use inside the walls to run a central vaccum system through. So you can go to the vaccum store and buy a long piece of this stuff for about $5 to $8 and have MANY clamps made from it!!!! (I think it was 8 feet long) really hard to get it to fit in the car on the way home!!!:D;):P

My husband made a few for me and I want some more. I have broken them too... They come in VERY handy when you are get a bit of a sag in the backing of a quilt too, like in only one spot, snugs it right up!! Much better way than using pins - which I would always forget to take out before I advance the quilt... bends those pins right up!

"It is the stuff they use inside the walls to run a central vaccum system through. So you can go to the vaccum store and buy a long piece of this stuff for about $5 to $8 and have MANY clamps made from it!!!! (I think it was 8 feet long) really hard to get it to fit in the car on the way home!!!"

I have some of this and would love to make some clamps. Did you just slice open one side, or do you cut off part of one of the sides? Thanks.

Wow, I didn\'t realize these clamps existed. I just ordered a set and I\'ll use them immediatedly when they arrive cuz I was just showing a friend a quilt I labored over forever and I was so proud to be finished only to see that I left one small area unquilted. :o It\'s already bound and I was wondering how I was going to manage to fix it. You guys rock.

Patty - My husband just chopped off 2 1/2" long pieces and then just slice them down the side, and rounded-off the corners - so they are not a sharp 90 degrees, and then sanded all of the edges smooth. He used a hack-saw or jig-saw first and then I think the dremel tool thingy.

You can also cut those batting tubes into pieces for a quicker and FREE clamp, but they do tend to "open-up" and get a fold in them and no longer work after a use or 2.....

I bought them at MQS a few years ago (I think it was when it was in Springfield, Il). They are great for quick fix ups but I don\'t think that I would use them for a whole quilt. Everytime you would want to roll the quilt you would have take them off and reposition them. A bit of a hastle! I also use them to hold down the unused end of the leaders - I highly dislike floppy leaders.:P When I float a quilt (99% of the time) I put them even with a stripe, end of quilt, etc so I can keep the quilt straight as I advance it. :cool:

Judith Fosse

Going to Paducah tomorrow (35 miles down the road)

Hello All -- I think the pattern is called Pina Colada from Fons & Porter. I have made this a couple of times, sans the applique. Hope this helps!

Thanks for being such a wonderful brain trust to those of us Wannabees!

Breezy (Wendi)

Wendi@ThatLittlePlaceInAnaheim.com

Once I had a name (thanks), I searched F&P web site and found the pattern, and learned that it was in the July/Aug 2004 edition of their magazine.

Pattern:

https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PINA%2DP

Magazine contents:

http://www.fonsandporter.com/aspx/FonsandPorter/fp/Ourmagazine/currentissue.aspx?id=22

Now, off to see if I have that magazine.

Thanks everyone.

I have actually draped a couple of quilts over the rollers to do repair on spots I had to take out after I thought I was done. It has worked fine, but you do have to be sure to keep the back of the quilt off the table so the machine doesn\'t roll over it. Janet

Wow Victoria, Now that is so sweet. I\'ve done four Opportunity Quilts since I\'ve been quilting on a longarm. The first one I did echoing feathers on Batik. It was for a small group of 21 members and took in more than $7500.00. Since it was my first I did it for free and so far all the others have been free. Knocked out job on your quilt. zeke....

Archived