Rulers

Ok, you\'re talking about the crosshatch ruler that I had the gal from CustomQT make for me. It even has my name on it!! :P:P Her name is Michelle. Anyway, she was making them for gals in my longarm guild and she is selling them now at the shows and eventually on her website.

She\'s working with someone to get her website up and running. Unfortunately, the web site was started and then worked had to be halted for awhile due to some maternity leave. The gal doing her website is back from maternity leave and has started working on it agan recently.

Give Michelle a call if you want one of the rulers. I believe she has some on hand. They are great for crosshatching borders and sashings because like MB said, you can stitch 2 crosshatch lines without moving the ruler so it goes pretty fast. There\'s also no measuring or marking involved and that\'s always a good thing in my book!!

Debbi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heiei,

After stitching the "V" for the 2 sides, you need to stitch away from the ruler to the next starting place. The diagonal lines on the ruler help you line up the next starting place, depending on how big or small you are crosshatching.

Reset the ruler and stitch the "V" again. After stitching a couple of series of "V" (1 torward you, 1 away from you, etc) the crosshatching will start to form.

Michelle uses the ruler for crosshatching borders, but I think she uses it differently.

Anyway, I can draw some pictures tonight for how I use the ruler on a white board and post them if it would help. Pictures are worth a thousand words!! :D:D

Debbi

Debbi,

Yes I am for sure a visual person. I take it from your description that you stitch right too the point and then down the other side. I was looking at the pics that Mary Beth posted and it looked like the point was up into other border where you wouldn\'t want to cross hatch. I love cross hatching but I need to find a way to do it quicker on customer quilts. It is such a classic design and one that I think can make a quilt so elegant. All that ruler work takes time though. Not marking anything is a huge benefit! Do you know how many sizes there are? I\'d like one big enough to do a 12 - 15" block...doubt I\'ll find a perfect one though.

I line up the point so that it is 1/4" inch away from the seam. Then you can stitch the "V"\'s and the points end exactly in the seam. So the sequence for a border is:

Stitch a "V" in one direction.

Backtrack away from the ruler to the next starting point.

Line up the ruler with the previous "V".

Stitch a "V" in the other direction.

Keep stitching "V"\'s back and forth for the crosshatching.

I\'ll post some pictures tonight.

Debbi

Heidi,

I haven\'t tried it for anything but borders and sashings. I had it specifically made for that purpose so that I could quickly crosshatch a border without having to manipulate a larger ruler.

You could probably use the long straight edge like any other crosshatch ruler.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of quilting tools for new (and old quilters), I noticed Quilt-EZ hasn\'t been mentioned. With Quilt-EZ we wanted to make a simple system that was easy to use and at the same time wasn\'t as expensive as others. At Quilt-EZ.com you can find all our templates. We have a stylus that will attach to ANY machine or frame. Quilt-EZ releases a new design every month...always coming out with new products. Able to do blocks, continuous patterns, lots of different options. So when making a decision be sure to take a look at Quilt-EZ too. They even work on short-arm machines/frames and if you ever get a bigger machine, no need to invest in a completely new tool, the templates are able to be used on any machine/frame.

Joe Cullumber

Quilt-EZ.com

Guest Linda S

On the original topic of rulers, the ones I use most often are the Gadget Girls\' Janet-Lee\'s Favorite and Little Girl. Also, Sherry Rogers-Harrison\'s Dainty Ditcher. And then, Megan Best\'s Best SID Ruler.

I do have the Circle Lord and it is fabulous. Those King templates will whip out a quilt in very short order.

Linda

Archived