Hick Chick 1 - Hell Bent For Leather - My MQS entry

Hi Tracye - AWESOME - I am amazed at your Beautiful Quilt. I used to do a little leather tooling in my teen years (probably to keep me out of my mother\'s hair) and this looks so realistic. I can almost smell the leather. Just beautiful and I agree, you are so gracious and thankful for the help that was given to you thru this process. You are also one of the ladies that many of us gain lots of ideas and confidence from. This quilt is truely amazing and nails the look of the west to a "T". I can\'t imagion that there won\'t be multipul ribbons on this quilt. Your work is so right for this quilt.

OK - Now, I\'ll wipe off my chin from the drool and continue on with my day thinking about your quilt.

P.S. Now you need to go and buy yourself a leather jacket with fringe and stand by this at the show!

Tracye,

Wow! Your quilt is stunning. I love the way this all came together. What a cool new direction for (art) quilters to head into, combining old and such new techniques in a way to come up with these one of a kind quilts...we have so many wonderful people here that share ideas...and look at how some artists decipher them. Wow!

Oh you guys thank you!!!

You\'ve brought tears to my eyes you are SO sweet!

No it wasn\'t on the machine for 300 hours, the design cutting/pasting (like kindergarten) and the marking were the hardest/most time consuming. It took planning and made my head hurt.:P

Linda, you nailed the baby on the head, 300 hrs worth of baby!!!! That\'s the pain. Though, I have been wondering how something leathery would look in RED fabric. ;)

Sherry I would be HONORED to be in your book! Thank you again for all your help and inspiration.

I\'ll post close ups (flaw pictures I call them :P ) after I get the binding on. Wish me luck. I was a spaz and marked/quilted right up to the edge so I\'m going to have to be creative. I have an idea (scary thought to anyone who lives w/me).

Angels on your bodies.

I could not have done this without you "girls (and guys) in the box".

Tracye....I actually fell in love with tooling when I was in high school and have won several awards (high school level), but when I opened this and saw your picture, my first thought was why would someone put up a picture album cover on a quilting forum.

I really really thought it was leather and I am so impressed...I wish I was going to MQS, I bet its even more gorgeous in person. I bow to you...oh, mighty one. It was well worth the 300 hours and I hope to see tons of ribbons hanging off it soon. Again Congrats ;)

Originally posted by ClaudiaPfeil

Do I remember right......you are going to take one of my classes at MQS???...... WHY??????;) ....for sure....we will have FUN!:D

Claudia

Yes I am Claudia! I am SO excited! You are amazing that\'s why! I\'m hoping some of your amazing talent rubs off on me so I can do things that AREN\'T just quirky (like leather). I am so in awe of your work!

:P

I\'ve learned on this quilt that having a fabulous moving machine and unusual pattern are all great, but there is only so much I can do just being me. My handwriting SUCKS! I think this is relevant. I am so in love with all the traditional quilting but it is SO difficult for me to do and make look great.

On this quilt, I could follow my chalk markings easy and do my backtracks on the flowers/plumey (cheetohs they\'ve been called) because my machine is so sweet, but the ropes, even marked and w/a ruler, were a challenge and it was just me. I can\'t do it on paper either.

That\'s one thing that is so great about our artform, there is something for everyone. We don\'t have to be good at everything, just have fun and see what comes of it. ;)

OK so I\'ve been gone from the computer for one day and return today to find this! Wow! This is so awesome.

Tracye, Allow me to jump in line and give you a great big cheer! YAAAAAY!! :P

Tracye, you are right about the support we get from our quilting peers, and the ideas that are "brilliant." These people are so giving and helpful and so willing to help be the rungs on the ladder of success. The talent that encompasses all of you is amazing, and we all get to benefit with instant gratification. We are all, especially me, grateful for this!

PS: I am so excited to see you at MQS and to admire at your Hick Chick in real life! :)

Tracey. That is drop dead gorgeous. It looks so much like tooled leather. Growing up a cowgirl I love it and like the others, I can almost smell the rich smell that leather gives off. nothing quite like it in the world. Can hardly wait to see it with the ribbons hanging off of it. Thank you for sharing. You make us all proud.

I\'ve looked at the photos, read all the posts.....re-read.....That really isn\'t leather? WOW ! ! Beautiful...masterful........NOW I can\'t wait to see more.... When is the NEXT piece of art due out? SO I am still confused........WHAT IS THE FABRIC if NOT leather? AWESOME! ......and to think as I sit in my jammies with my AM coffee....am privy along with others in their jammies to the unveiling! Beautiful....Beautiful....Beautiful

You guys are too kind to me! Thank you.

No Kathy NOT leather, it\'s by Patrick Lose, I think his Marble Mania collection. I got it at the LQS. I bought 3-4 brown fabrics all together at different LQS, then I\'d get home and not like them. The black thread /ink wouldn\'t have shown on them. Then I found this right in my back yard store.

I don\'t know when the next one is due. I\'m thinking about it, which is progress. I was checking out Patrick\'s other marbles online. I\'m wondering if doing it in another color would look like dyed leather or if it would loose the leather look all together.

Grammie that is high praise coming from you. Can\'t wait to hug your neck in a few weeks.

Archived