UGH!!! It Happened Again!

I did another blue and white quilt and once again, the blue ran into the white. I soaked the finished quilt in Synthrapol and used dye catchers. Should I have soaked it in Retayne instead? I just want the quilt to look like it\'s supposed to. In other words, HELP!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you prewash your fabrics in synthrapol? or retayne (helps set the dye)? Prewashing dark colors is always a good idea especially when using whites or light colors with the darks fabrics.

As for resolving the problem now...I would try washing the quilt again with synthrapol.

Cheryl

Gable,

Retayne sets the color so DON\'T use that on a completed quilt that ran. You\'ll need to soak in Synthrapol and hopefully you will get it all out. To help avoid this problem you should pre-wash your fabrics with Retayne and then test to make sure the dye is stable. You can also soak in Synthrapol first to remove the excess dye left from the dying process and then Retayne. I never start a quilt without using Retayne.

Hi, I made a complicated Batik quilt a while back. A dark blue must have been over dyed and not rinsed. This fabric was less than 5% of the top. It was destroyed. It was a quilt for my daughter. Her hubby washed it, and claimed to not know better:mad:, dryed it that way. He rewashed and dryed it 4 times trying to get the dye out before she came home. Anyway I took it home and thought for sure it was destine for the dump. I washed it with Oxyclean and Dyecatcher cloths. Took a couple of washings, but it came out. It is just a bit duller from so many washings. Oxyclean and Dyemagnents together will save your quilt!!!!!! I\'d wait on the Retayne untill you were sure you got it all out. Christi

Originally posted by Beverly

What is Synthrapol and where can it be purchased? Also the Oxy Clean. Thanks.

Beverly

Bev, you can get the Oxi Clean at any grocery store in the detergents. It comes in either a box or a plastic round container...its a powder and has a scoop.

post--13461899592344_thumb.jpg

Archived