books

KerryM

I have only had my Milli a week, and haven\'t had any training, other than the set up training, can anyone out there suggest any good training videos or books that would help me get started on the right foot. I did order Karen McTavishes Whiteworks Quilting, anything else to help me get started? Any advice would be accepted gratefully.

Kerry

Hi Kerry - When I got my Millie, I bought a bolt of muslin and some batting and made a huge quilt sandwich and just went for it. Tried different things - feathers were square, squares were round, wrote my name, drew a palm tree,,etc............... Just do it and have fun. It is best if you can get comfortable with your machine before your free day of training. After you spend time running your machine then you have more questions that you can get answered by your dealer. Put a pad and pencil near your machine and everytime you have a question on how to do something, write it down. Just some ideas. Then hopefully you can be ready for your training day. As far as books go, there are alot of LA teachers out there with books + DVD etc. I would wait until your free training day and ask your dealer which ones they would recommend after they see your style, strengths & weaknesses! Just a thought or 2

Hi Kerry,

Congratulations, a CQ too! How cool is that??!! Now, when you say you are interested in training videos or books, is that for learning freehand techniques or are you planning on learning the CQ to it\'s fullest first? Which learning curve are you attempting first? I got my CQ shortly after my Millennium, I learned my CQ system first, and then I went back and learned freehand techniques. That way I knew what I wanted to do freehand as opposed to computer guided. The most handy freehand books I ended up buying was Darlene Epp\'s pocket guides, they are jammed with useful designs to practice freehand, (and also her new feather book, although I haven\'t used it as much as I should have!)

If you plan on using your CQ alot, you might want to check out Suzanne Moreno\'s digitizing course. I took the course the day after I got my CQ...and I am glad I did. By understanding digitizing, I can better plan on how to use my CQ system and what designs to either purchase or digitize if I chose to. There are many designers selling their digitized designs, by taking Suzanne\'s course I am better able to chose designs that work with my system, not cause me grief. I find that digitizers that use CQ have a better understanding on how our system works and the designs are flawless. Where in Canada are you? I\'m in BC, Vancouver Island.

Wow, you are entering the most fun ever, quilting on a Millennium and CQ!!!

Archived