What do you use pre-wound polyester bobbins for?

I have had nothing but problems with my tension. I changed the spring and it took me two days and 2 bobbins to get it right. :)

Then I decided to try a new pre-wound bobbin. OK, I think I messed up. :( I bought 100 pre-wound bobbins (L).

The thread is so thin. And of course, the tension is a mess again. What is a good use for these pre-wound poly bobbins? I mean besides making a necklace.

Linda, I love the pre-wound bobbins. I use them almost exclusively. You do need to adjust your bobbin tension and after fighting trying to use the drop test method, I bought a TOWA tension gauge and have had very little trouble. You need to find the number that works best on your machine then test each bobbin before you use it. I have found that 23-25 works best for me with these pre-wounds. I think when you get your tension figured out, you'll love them.;)

Sue- I agree! They hold SOOOO much thread, they are great!

I have had no trouble with the drop test method. The dealer that taught me told me the bobbin case should be like a spider quickly falling down his own string. I don't use them if I am using something heavier like King Tut, but that only makes sense anyway.

I also like to wind my own out of So Fine. I can get quilte a bit of that on the metal bobbins.

Keep pluggin' Linda!

LInda,

I use these prewound bobbins for dense quilting like McTavishing, or stippling because they hold so much thread. I also like them for pantographs on large quilts because I can make more than one pass without changing bobbins. Right now you probably won't believe this, but I also get better looking stiches on the back with these bobbins. You do have to fiddle with the tension, and a Towa tension gauge makes that easier. They can also save you time winding bobbins if you have a large quilt to do. I've never thought about making a necklace with them....hmmmm.;)

Ramona,

I too have problems with tension. I now have three bobbin cases that are adjusted to the type of thread, one for my regular Sew Fine, one for the thin Bottom Line and one for the thick verigated cottons. At least that way, I don't have to start from scratch each time I change thread.

Donna

I use them when I use lighter weight threads such as rayon/embroidery threads. I don't like them for most of my quilting as I prefer the look of a heavier thread on the back. The prewounds also work great in domestic machines when doing embroidery---automatic or freehand. They fit in my Janome and Viking. I agree that the TOWA helps you adjust your bobbin case. I have a case just for the prewounds, so minimal adjustments are necessary.

Kay

I use prewounds a lot also and like them, because they last longer than the ones I wind myself. I make a small sandwich of the same type of fabric that is on the machine and over to the side I test the tension until it satisfies me. Since I have started doing this with each quilt I put on I have very few broken threads and the stitching, front and back, looks great. It works. Evelyn

You guys gave me some great tips/ideas.

- I ordered the Towa and a top tension gadget too. They should be here tomorow or Friday.

- I will be getting a couple more bobbin cases - I like the idea of not having to do a marathon adjustment every time I change threads.

- The half gross of prewound poly thread bobbins I got from APQS did not mention embroidery so I think they are for longarms. APQS doesn't sell embroidery thread, I hope. I noticed that when I used the poly prewound, it looked like a little dot of batting came out on each stitch but the tension looks better. I do like the look of tex 3/40 on the front and back.

I'm hoping that once I get that Towa and upper tension gadget, I will get my act together.

Linda, the prewound bobbins that you purchased from APQS are the only ones that I use. I love them. Once you have your tension set you will see how nice they look on the back of the quilt. Not only do they hold more than the ones you wind yourself (even when using So Fine) but the variety of neutral colors they offer will match virtually every fabric. A client recently requested that I use a green thread on the back and a different color on the top. Since I didn't have green I used one of the darker neutrals and it blended beautifully. The client was thrilled even though it wasn't green.

All of us have experienced tension problems so please know that you are not alone. Let us know how things are going now.

Happy Quilting :D

I also use pre-wounds almost 100% of the time!! I LOVE them!!!! I am probably one of Superior Threads best customers!! I adore the Bottom Line bobbins as they will always run very sweetly with any type of thread in the top and they seem to last almost forever!!

However, that being said, I also have 2 other bobbin cases set for thicker cotton threads that I will occassionally use... very occassionally!!! I have been spoiled by using the Bottom Line pre-wounds!!

• 1 month later...

Archived