Karen McTavish

I too, Karen, received your book yesterday and I\'m having trouble putting in down and going to work on customer\'s quilts. Maybe it was a mistake ordering it. HA HA. Congratulations on your teacher of the year award. I can totally understand why you got it.

Congratulations Karen on being teacher of the year!!!

I have all of your books and love them. I\'m signed up for 3 of your classes at HMQS in just over a week. It\'s hard focusing on my day job because of the anticipation of the great quilting classes I\'ve signed up for.

Is anyone else going to HMQS???

:P

Linda:P

Hey guys! Thanks so much - I noticed Michelle Miller is on this chat - she has a quilt in Whitework Quilting that won so many awards that we stopped counting.

That is a quilt to die for - its under the shadow trapunto section in the book called "Bella Donna"...(praying my memory is right). Maybe its "Bella, Bella".....Or "Bella Baby Rockin my Bad Baby to sleep"...no that\'s not it....:cool:

But yes, getting ready for MQX and sending out 220 book orders in the same week was a feat of major proportions that I never ever want to experience again. WHEW!

Shipping is not my major career choice....I dont know how people do that. My entire body was sore. It was like "working out at the gym"....and I havent done that since the 80\'s, when Olivia Newton John was doing aerobics. "Let\'s Get Physical, Physical!"

OMG, I think I even had a outfit that went up my butt.

Your book arrived in the mail this morning. Amazing. I\'m standing here with my mouth hanging open. Beautiful. (The book, not my gaping mouth) And it\'s funny! Love your description of acting like a Minnisotan. And you SIGNED it!!! Thank you thank you thank you. And THEN I find out you won this award. Congratulations. I\'m so happy for you. Laura

Karen thank you so much for my book and the surprise of finding out that you signed it. I was jumping around like a jumping bean and my hubby and kids thought I was going nuts. I love the book and have started designing my first whole cloth. I do wonder though, does the thick batting not get caught because there is no backing while you do the stitching with the water soluble thread? I also would like to know what stitch length do you set your milli at to do the stitching? Do you use different speeds for say the micro stippling as compared to the straight line crosshatching? Sorry about all the questions but I\'d really like to know.

Thanks again.

Tina Caderma

"The Quilt Lady"

Tina asked: "I do wonder though, does the thick batting not get caught because there is no backing while you do the stitching with the water soluble thread? I also would like to know what stitch length do you set your milli at to do the stitching? Do you use different speeds for say the micro stippling as compared to the straight line crosshatching? Sorry about all the questions but I\'d really like to know."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throw on your extended base to avoid getting the head stuck on the trapunto batting - its not really a big issue if you really tighten the batting to your backing roller - do not let anything float or hang down when working on a wholecloth....Pull the thing tight! everything should be tightly pulled. Load the trapunto batting to your backing roller and TIGHTEN. You wont have a snag then.

Using water-soluble thread -it doesnt matter what your stitch per inch is - because its going away anyway. But I like to keep it small - 12-14 spi...so it doesnt break on me.

Speeds: I use my manual mode for all free-hand background fillers such as McTavishing or Micro anything - no stitch regulator. I move my machine so my stitches are really small. Makes for smoother and nicer looking shapes and helps trapunto pop up -like sculpture.

I only use my Stitch regulator during cross-hatching, SID or stitching around applique. 14 SPI is fine -but you can go seriously tighter if you want.

Stitch consistantancy is more important than the size of the stitch. There is no more rules about size of the stitch. Ask Diane Guadynski, the master machine quilter, who has the tiniest stitches I have ever seen.

Thank you for the advice. I\'ll let you know how I make out as I go on this journey. It\'s all pretty exciting and reading all the comments from the ladies who let their quilts be photographed for the book makes it seam possible that I too can do this.

Wish me luck and I\'ll post pictures of my progress.

Tina

Is it any surprise why Karen won MQX Teacher of the Year award? Look how fired up we get over her inspiring books, techniques, classes and quilts! You can\'t go to a quilt show with out seeing her imprint on nearly every quilt on dislpay!

Congrats again on your well deserved award.

Lisa

NW New Jersey

APQS Liberty

Karen:

I know I paid for your "new" book as soon as I heard about it. I have not received mine yet and it is April 28th. My name is Joy Bernhardt, Kingston, OK. When you get time (lol), will you check on it please? UNLESS, some other people still haven\'t gotten theirs either. I noticed you mailed them all out at once, so I am wondering.

I have a UPS address and a USPS address. I hope I mentioned that when I ordered my book.

Hugs,

Joy

You should email me your receipt of the book to my email address: kmctavish@designerquilts.com

I just went thru all the orders and need more info from you - if you have a receipt number or the name in which the order was placed - that would be a great start for me to search for your book.

All the books were mailed on April 13th if you had a reserved copy. Now they are mailed immediately when the order is placed.

Lindy - Its the same book but with updated info in the back of the book. The first print run and the second print run are identical except for a new author photo and contact info -

Cathy Franks is so awesome. Linzi, she rules. All that creativity and talent in that tiny itty bitty little body....How does she do it?:) She\'s a great instuctor.

I did not order the wholecloth quilt book, however I got my "Mastering the Art of McTavishing" yesterday. How exciting this all is to be able to actually be in contact with the Rock Star of quilting! Karen you are the top and I love my book and DVD.

Thanks ever so much for signing it. YOU ROCK

Ginny

Archived