Books on tape

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that I no longer have time to read novels, as my hands are always busy doing my quilting. I joined Audible.com a couple of months ago. If you sign up for their year membership, you get two books a month for about $21, and a free player -- now I download my books and listen while I'm quilting! So far, I have "read" The Memory of Running, The DaVinci Code, and The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Lots of fun.

Linda

Good idea. Also check your local library as many of them have quite a selection. I have noticed that quite frequently the new books that the library gets (the bestsellers), they get both a hard copy and an audible copy. The wait for the hard copy can be long, but you can get the audible one quickly.

Also check, some libraries have gotten subscriptions to Audible (alas, not mine) so you can get the books free.

I just finished listening to a book by Terry Gerritson, sorry can't remember the name.

Check out your local library!!! FREE, FREE, and FREE. They offer books on cassette, CD's (with no limit to the amount of books you can check out) and now Audio books - and did I say FREE!!. Depending on the size of your county you may have the opportunity to borrow tapes/CD's from all over your county. If you library offers Net Library - they have a huge library (mine has over 1000 titles and they add 50 new ones a month and did I say FREE. To use the Net Library all you need is a computer and a MP3 player - not an IPod. You download your book of choice into your computer then download it to your portable device. The best MP3 - and I did my research( took a couple back) is the RIO Forge - about $99.00, weighs a couple of ounces, uses a AAA battery and this feature is a must have - allows you to start where you ended in the story. The two I took back did not have this feature:(. Also you cannot use the listening device from Audible books because they use a different format than Netlibary. Net Library uses the WAM protected files format. I average 3 a week - great when doing panto's however when doing custom work I sometimes am concentrating so hard I have to go back and listen again to what I missed;)

Great books that I have listened to: Janet Evanovich - all of hers, ie... Careful - you may burst out laughing throughout all of the books. My DH has come into to studio thinking I'm loosing my mind with my hysterical laughing - with the small earphones and the player in my pocket he doesn't see the player. All of Iris Johansons books, Robin Cooks, and many of James Pattersons books. His new womens murder club series is great: 1st to Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree and his brand new one 4th of July. Lisa Scottoline books are great - anothers writer that has you laughing out loud. A group of women attornies that can't stay out of trouble. I have more - e-mail me for a list.

I always was a serious reader - 5-10 books a week, but since I started quilting I missed my "fix". Portable books answered that need.

Jerri - I joined Audible after having checked several audio books out of the local library. I think I missed a whole chapter of one book because the tape was all goobered up, even some of the books on CD were in rough shape. I haven't given up on the library totally, but when I want something special, I want to hear every word!!

Linda

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the library tapes - I have never had that problem. I did have a problem with a cassette player - would not play anything - music or audio. Tape one was fine but when I put the second tape in - nothing. I purchased a new player - $12.00 at my local dollar store - loaded cassette two and it worked. Also when my batteries are bad - the tapes won't play.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I just finished a few more books while making my jackets. "Tears of the Giraffe", "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", and I'm half-way through "The Secret Life of Bees." So fun to be able to "read" while quilting!

Linda

I highly recommend the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon! I think it is available on tape. Believe me, two of the best main characters ever written about....a bunch of us love the series and just when we think it is over, another book comes out....I think that maybe the series wasn't supposed to go on and on but the author probably had a high demand for more!!!

love to read....Sandra

Linda,

Don't you just love "the Secret Life of Bees"? It's one of my favorite books of all times. Although Sue Monk Kidd's following book, "The Mermaid's Chair" was a big disappointment for me. I think some authors have only one great book.

I've been a BOT 'reader" for over 10 years. I started when I was commuting in DC and soon discovered that I can sew and read at the same time. I keep track off the books I have read, authors that I like, readers that I like. I was looking at the spreadsheet this weekend and was surprised to discover that I have read over 500 books since 1996. I am addicted for sure!

I love M&I, historical novels and biographies. Some recommendations:

anything by Kyle Mills - M&I centered around an FBI agent

Biography of J Edgar Hoover (very long but well written and a great history lesson)

Anthony Trollope Palliser series - all about British society on the late 1800's

anything by Phillip Margolin - another great M&I writer - Gone but not Forgotten is my favorite

Alexander Hamilton - came out a couple of years ago around the 100 year anniversary of his death

Walter Mosley - EZ Rawlins series - Devil in a Blue Dress, etc. they all have a color in the title

Lincoln by Gore Vidal - historical fiction, very well written

There are others but I'm out of town and without access to my list! I'll add more later. I'm always looking for recommendations so please post your favorites too. I'll check out the Diana Galbaldon books.

I haven't tried listening to books while sewing or longarming, but I'll have to try. Books are another MAJOR addition. For those of you always looking for new titles, get Book Lust by Nancy Pearl. She's retired from the Seattle Public Library's Center for the Book, and she's amazing. Book Lust groups titles and quick descriptions of books by all sorts of different topics and categories. I think she may have published a second, More Book Lust.

Happy reading and listening!

Alayne P.

• 3 weeks later...

Took Jerri's advice and got a Rio Forge. I have consumed many books in the past month. I have even downloaded a Cardio Workout....whew! I can clean house, do yard work, and quilt much faster. I am really having fun working now!

I rebound every morning for 15 minutes. It was such drudgery before I got the Rio Forge, now I look forward to my workout.

Thanks Jerri, you are a doll.

• 3 months later...

Hi Jerri,

Look at this, my first post on this forum and its nothing even remotely related to APQS! I am completely addicted to Books-on-tape and love to listen to them while I quilt. Our library now has the new free download Netlibrary and I've wanted to get a player to access this service.

Now my question, what size of a Rio Forge mp3 player do you have, like what capacity is it, 128, 256 or 512mb. Do I need to get the biggest and best or does the basic model fill the requirements for audiobook listening?

Thanks, this list appears to be full of helpful fun people, glad to be here.

Brenda Stack

In-process of purchasing Ult I(I'm expecting, does that make me pregnant);)

Hey Brenda! ;)

Yes, you lucky girl, I guess you are expecting!

Wish I could be there to help you with your delivery, ha-ha.

Just relax & remember to breath, you are going to love your machine!

Lets us know when your "big day" arrives!:D

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

I always keep 3-4 good books-on-tape on hand in different genres, I never know what I will feel like listening to next. I love to read but I love to sew and knit and garden also and there is only so much time in a day, no matter how hard I try to change that fact! About 5 years ago I discovered I could combine 2 of my favorite things and since then I have listened to at least 300 books.

some of my favorites...

*anything from the Ophra Book Club

*Dana Stabenow, mysteries set in Alaska, the detective is a strong woman character Kate Shugak.

*Robert Tanenbaum the Butch Karp series, Attorney in New York, lots of great characters in this series of books

*Kathy Reichs a series about a forensic medical examiner set in Canada

*Jeffery Deaver's series about the paraplegic detective, I love anything that combines medical jargon with mystery, I used to be an OR Nurse in my former life)

These are just a few of the authors I haven't seen listed her yet , heavy on the mysteries now that I look at my list but that is what comes to mind. Most of these authors have over 10 books in their series. I love to read all the books from an author when I find one I like.

My daughter wants the computer...just want to say, my new-to-me Ult I arrived last week, she is still in her boxes but my husband is working hard installing cabinets and windows to convert the garage into my new studio!!

Brenda in CA

Ult I !!!!!:D

Have any of you had any issues with having to significantly raise the volume on your audio device (I use an Ipod Nano) to listen to books while you run your longarm - mine is a Millie???

I fear that I am affecting my hearing by how much I seem to have to have the volume at in order to hear the words of my book while I quilt.

Does anyone else have that problem or that fear - and what do you do about it?

Archived