Books on tape

Guest Linda S

I agree with you all, love to listen to books on tape or cd while I am

quilting. I do not like to use the ear phone thing'ies , I had read a study

once about hearing / ear infections / and working out while wearing ear

phones, since then - no thanks!

If I am listening while my girls are around, I choose something like the

Harry Potter books or something from the junior area of our library.

The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemmony Snickett are really great!

All 12 books, and one more yet to come.... have had those at least twice!

I like that our library in on the web, so I am able to put books on hold from

anywhere in the area, and have them brought to the library of my choice.

The only problem is sometimes the tapes are a bit chewed-up.

Right now I am listening to the "Prey" books by John Sandford. These are

set in Minnesota so I hear many familiar places mentioned, kind of neat!

(These are NOT for kids to hear play though - bad words)

• 3 months later...

Judy-

I like young adult and children books, too, just for the reason of language, etc. Try the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, and Inkheart/Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.

If you want to laugh, listen to the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella -- they are a hoot, and I don't think there are any inappropriate parts for kids to inadvertently hear. ( Don't quote me on that).

I have an iPod 20 GB, and have about 10 BOT loaded. I only use about 6GB of space. So it seems a 256 or 512 Rio would work fine.

If you do have an iPod, subscribe to get Alex Anderson's podcast -- it is fun to listen to her talk about quilting while longarming.

Enjoy!

Jill

• 2 months later...

I have been enjoying the Alexander McCall Smith books that start with The Number One Ladies Detective Agency. Mma Ramotswe and her common sense look at life have been an inspiration to me as I quilt. I almost feel as though I were walking the streets of Botswana. I also took the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and Life, the Universe and Everything! It's been an interesting summer. The Lighthouse by P.D. James, Pride and Prejudice, I think I will begin Memoirs of a Geisha next weekend.

Linda

I have to raise my volume significantly when the machine is running...especially at the back of the machine. As soon as I can though I turn it back down. I love the ear buds but I fear they are not good for long term. I have a pair of wireless head phones for my CD player...I have to turn those up too when the machine is running.

I get books from Audible but I am also signed up at NetLibrary through my public library. It's free. I had a little probem finding the right player but now I download at least two books every week. This is great for those titles you really don't know if you will enjoy enough to justify spending. You might want to check with your local library.

Cheryl in Iowa

Archived