THE ART OF QUILTING

amandy735

hi everyone!

i have registered so i can chat with all of you wonderfully-talented quilters!

i am a student at syracuse university in environmental and interior design. i am currently working on a project in which i am to design a quilt shop for clients nearby.

i have done some considerable research about quilting, but i was wondering if i could have your perspective instead of some dusty old books.

i am wondering if there is a fundamental rule you follow in quilting... maybe a particular pattern that may be the basis of designs you choose to do..

i am trying to do some intricate floor patterning that can correlate with the furniture and the design of the shop. basically, i need something to work with..

any thoughts and ideas would be extremely helpful!

thank you so much!

=D sincerely, amanda

Amanda,

I have been in many quilt shops, and the floor ideas are great, but work closely with your client to find out what kind of things she really wants to specialize in, hence convey to her customers.

Is she going to go strongly into reproduction or period quilting? Then the interior should reflect that. Is she interested in drawing the contemporary quilter? Then a more simplistic approach is in order. The interior should also reflect her personality.

First and foremost, plenty of light, natural if possible. I also really like some areas that are not cluttered, especially when you first walk in. Of course a new shop never starts out that way, they just get cluttered looking as time goes on and they begin to outgrow their space.

Hope that helps!

Amanda, I envy you. I would love to earn a degree in interior design or art.

My suggestions for a quilt shop would be:

*Plenty of natural lighting (ie windows, skylights, etc)

*Large tables to spread fabrics out on (useful for seeing repeating patterns or laying out many samples to contrast colors)

*A large workshop in the back for lessons and classes

*A special area for books, and one for tools and such

*Lots of fabric display area

* A rail built in so consignment or sample quilts can be displayed (better yet, hang them from the ceiling so the front and back both show.

I hope this helps some. Teresa

Archived