Power Serge and Troubles

RitaR

Today while qulting the machine sounded like someitng inside it exploded, then it ground away trying to sew, then

it did it again. I hate static or electric shocks, I was aiming my round body towards the door, when it did it two more times, and I finally forced myself to go back and turn it off.. it kept going, so I ROFLMHO, pulled the chain on the chandalier, then thought to turn the room lights off. NONE of which have a thing to do with the plugs the machine is on. LOL.

Well after departings it\'s company, himself bravely went in, slowly, in his stocking feet, peering around the corner of the door.. went in and turned it on. same thing.. off.. on same thing.. off. on same thing.

Anyone know what we blew??? Apparently the promise of a high level rated serge protector didn\'t get put in place.. so..

We may be sucking on dill pickles for damages.... I\'m just sick and well.. I\'ll stop there.

RitaR

Hi Rits,

This will not help with the problem now but it will in the future. I bought a line conditioner (Google it) and IO pluged my millie into it and turn it on from there. Apparently if you get a surge of electricity you can fry your mother and daughter boards. It cost me about 80.00 but worth the piece of mind.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Rita, some of the surge protectors have a guarentee. If you still have your box or info on it you might have a recourse there. I have one that has several hundred thousand dollars (forgot where the dang box is at the moment). Or you might check into your homeowner\'s or business insurance.

I still don\'t trust them and unplug the machine when i\'m not using it and won\'t quilt if there is a storm or really strong winds. I unplug my computer and printers as well. Had a professional camera tied to a computersystem with a surge protector at work and both the camera and computer were fried in a storm. When I sent it back to the home office the repair dept called me to see what had happened--much of the wiring and computer connections had melted!! jeri

Hay Rita

I don\'t know what to tell you with out seeing the machine or actually hearing the sound but I did send Mark an email to check the post. He is more then likely driving the truck to MQS with Toni so I am not sure that he will check his emails tonight, those boys are crazy and will more then likely drive through the night. I would call Amy first thing tomorrow she is Awesome and I am sure she will be able to help you... and don\'t worry, I haven\'t seen a machine they can\'t fix LOL

thanks Sue.. I am praying we got it fixed.. seems the power somehow put the needle so it was hitting the bobbin race or hook.. Himself checked all pieces real well for snags, burrs, scratches, etc. He got that set to where he thinks it sould be, and we\'ve not had the time to check it out on a practice piece.

Thanks for the help.. and there WILL be a Serge Protector, a Good one, Purchased and put in place... I\'ll do it and make sure its done.

Thanks again.. will yell at Amy if we need to.. Yes she\'s the tops.. they were closed by the time this happened..

Thanks all of you...

RitaR

Hi Rita,

I have an "uninterruptable power supply" (UPS) which is a battery back up/power surge suppressor for each of my machines (Lenni and Millie). I also have my Millennium and CQ on a separate dedicated power plug. (I had electricians come in and wire in a new circuit/plug just for my machine so the circuits wouldn\'t be overloaded when my machine is operating). We sometimes get some pretty darn interesting "brown outs" here which are really hard on electrical equipment. I figured I invested so many $$$$ for my machines, spending a few more $$ is cheap insurance and they are protected from that sort of thing.

Amy will get your machine up and running soon I am sure.

Hay Nadia

I tooooooo have a uninterruptable power supply... I got it for my computer but use it for my machine!!! It is awesome mine will allow me to quilt for 30-40 minutes after the power goes out!! We to have roaming brown outs, usually right in the middle of the day while I am hard at work LOL with my UPS I just open the blinds and keep on going.... unless it\'s a beautiful hot sunny day... then I just grab a blanket and lay in the yard and tan LOL:cool::cool: After all summer is sssooooo short here

Well, believe it or not, Himself actually got Penny up and running again.. It was the needle hitting, and he checked everything twice for a burr, nick, scratch, snag, etc.. and it\'s clear..and clean. I also had to change the thread tension on top.. it ended up way loose.. and that I don\'t understand.

Thanks for all the help, and Nadia and Sue, thanks for the info on the thingamajig,, I\'ve written it down and we WILL be getting one after the Dr. appt. today.

We don\'t have brown outs.. just plain no power, power, no power, power.. like when a car hits a pole but doesn\'t disconnect the wires..

This is the first time I\'ve been using Penny or the viking, that I can remember, though.

Thanks again..

RitaR

Archived