APQS/COMPUQUILTER fact, fiction....

nineva

So, the rumors have been flying for awhile now. APQS is supposed to be developing their own software. Being the inquiring kind:P:P I\'ve asked everyone what\'s up. Geez, paid a LOT of money for the CQ and now finding out APQS is doing their own software. The only answers are SILENCE...:(:(:( My guess is the dealers either truly don\'t know or are sworn to secrecy. And the rumor about CQ coming out with major upgrades to their software. No news there either. So, is the partnership over? Has CQ gone to A-1? The Compuquilter link is gone from the APQS website..anyone else notice? :o And the only people listed on the CQ website are A-1 dealers except for John Mitchell and Sue Morris . So I am HOPING;);) There will be some

big new announcement at MQS, where the longarmers of the world are gathering ;);). One more reason to be excited when the vendor mall opens on Wednesday. Since the Compuquilter booth is on the same aisle as the APQS booth I\'ll be heading to the back of the store! Inquiring minds NEED to know. :):)

Nancy

See, Brenda, told you I wasn\'t chicken!!!:D:D:D

I too am an inquiring mind. I love the fact that I am the 19th to view, but the only one to reply.:D:cool:

I am guessing your sworn to secrecy is true;)

I just really hope that everyone treats us nicely, I already have 14,000 in the software. I just bought 6 months ago:mad: I really hope I am not going to have to come up with more. I am already quilting my days and nights away to keep the DH happy.

Can\'t wait to see ya.

:cool:

Brenda

I\'ll reply, but haven\'t a clue.. Since it won\'t work on Penny, I just don\'t read up on things She\'s not compatible with...

Good luck, ( I think thats the right thing to say) maybe you will be able to get some info.. answers, hints, whispers, etc.from APQS that will be favorable to owners of CQ, that will make folks at least relieved, if not happy.. with whatever happens with APQS and the secret gossip...

RitaR

I noticed the link was gone, and I know there was discussion alluded to several years ago when I was thinking of buying CQ. I have had CQ for a year and I am gonna be steamed if this is true becaus eit ewas one of the questions I asked when purchasing. I am upgrading to the new Millie inext week should ship and this is worrisome news indeed.

Hay gals and guys

If APQS came out with a new system you can be asured that they would still fully support all the CQ\'s out there. APQS has an outstanding rep. for customer service and if you all remember when the Freedom and Milly came out we still supported and continue to support all our Alt. 1 and 2\'s. It would be very exciting if we had a new computer system and if that is the talk about town then we should all keep are ears and eyes to the chat and web site..... wow how exciting to be in on the gossip... I LOVE THIS CHAT ROOM !!!:cool:

I agree Sue. If APQS IS indeed coming out with something, my bet is it is going to be wonderful. I am keeping an open mind and hoping that whatever is happening is going to be a very very good thing for all of us. I am not at all concerned that our CQ will not be supported. That is not the way APQS does business. I am simply an inquiring mind wondering what is going on. The quiet is overwhelming. Hahaha:D:D Besides which, the rumors say either program is going to be able to do things many of the CQ users have been asking for, much like the Statler and ProQ people are able to do. Yayyyyyy is all I can say!!I cannot wait to find out if it is true. This is a very exciting time, eh?

Nancy:D

:cool::cool:I am also interested in this new rumor about APQS....I know that there are some people in the APQS chat that have expressed their dislike of computerized quilting simply because they really don\'t understand the benifits or possibly they can\'t afford the computerization. It would be nice to see what Compuquilter, Intellaquilter and this new side mount have different from each other..Can\'t wait...;););)

I know I am not computer savvy, but I can\'t for the life of me see why the computer set up is soo expensive. I own 2 computerized embroidery machines and you can design you own quilt designs on your computer or download designs. I could buy a couple of these machines for what just the computerization for a longarm costs. I know there is software licensing, but it seems to me that this would be developed to bring the cost down.

Hush hush is never good!

As I am in the process of purchasing a computerized system, I would like to know if there is going to be another system available soon.

Same thing goes for when I bought my Millenium in October. I wish I had been told that the NEW Millenium was coming out in a couple months.

I like APQS and LOVE my Millie, but things like this could be handled differently.

Jen

Jen and Sharon,

I agree with you both. I bought mine last May and I too would have waited if I had known a new model was coming out with features that make more sense. It would have saved me some money that I could have used on other gadgets. I did upgrade and am glad that I did, but come on....

Raggie

I too purchased a Millie the END of November and was not told a new one was coming out after the first of the year as I also would have waited. To trade a 2 month old machine would have cost another $ 2,000.00. I think APQS should have told us a new one was in production. I gave my rep heck about it to no avail. Bummer! For sure, I would have waited until the new one was out.

;);)I have digitized for over 13 years using most of the embroidery programs out there. I also digitize for my longarm and have been waiting for some more features to ad on to my system. I teach digitizing via one of the sewing shops here in town, and privately too.

The longarm programs aren\'t a new thing, most of the program is a revamped version of the wood cutters lath and bandsaw computerized system that was made years ago, which is a lesser version of your basic computerized embroidery program with a few tweaks. Ever wonder where the pattern boards are made from? The same basic program....I have seen some differences in the computerized systems, almost all the companies, but they are basically all just big embroidery machines, and yes very expensive cause the makers want to keep the price up. There is a cheaper alternative, don\'t jump to the conclusion that just because APQS puts it out that it won\'t have some hitches, and will be $$$$$. I did allot of BETA testing for one company and don\'t want to fall victim to that again.....I wanna see it perfected first. ;);)Statlers had the marked for years, and way expensive, I think something\'s gonna have to drive the prices down once people realize that a high school computer nerd could build you a computerized ad on and have a program much more efficient than what is out there now....Wait, it\'s gonna happen...already there is 2 side mount models that will attach to any longarm and do what the SS does....and cheaper!!!!!

:P:P:P:P One APQS owners husband, Craige Moats built a computerized system for her machine, and made it work very efficiently for very little money. I don\'t think he is gonna market it, but if a guy builds one from scratch at home the price has gotta come down.....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I too, am purchasing a computerized system and would like to know if APQS is coming out with something before I have mine installed at the end of the month.

Why all the hush, hush. I would think that they might say something so that someone with an APQS machine that is adding a computer would wait for the company one instead of purchasing from another company.

Anxiously awaiting..........:o

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hated to do this, I canceled my new Millenium order today! I ordered it back in February and still didn\'t have a delivery date, even after repeated inquiries. Now I\'m glad it never got delivered and I have an opportunity to cancel and get my deposit back!

I was so looking forward to my new machine but I\'m not going to be deceived!

CQ is coming out with a new HARDWARE upgrade before the end of the year. This is what I\'ve been told by CQ.

APQS will not support this new HARDWARE upgrade because they have dropped CQ, although they will continue to support the old CQ systems.

APQS told me today they don\'t know if the new Millis will be compatible with CQ, and I\'m sure I\'m being told this because they want people to buy into their new computerized system.

I\'m with Michaelalan, I\'m going to wait and see CQ\'s new upgrade before making my decision. I think that will save me big $$$$ in the long run.

APQS has disappointed a lot of Milli owners by not letting them know a new Milli upgrade was just around the corner.... learn from this my fellow quilters.

Let them know we want a little more respect than that!

Irussel2...........well said.

I am still upset with APQS as I bought a new Millie in November,, 2007 and was NOT told there was a new one coming out in just a month or two.

If or when I decide I want to get the computerized system, I will not be getting it from APQS as they would probably upgrade it a month after buying one and would not mention that at the time!!

HOWEVER, after attending MQS and taking classes on the new Millie.............I like my 6 month old Millie much better than the new ones. It just seems to handle better than the new ones. But then that could be because I am used to mine.

I understand the disappointment that some of you may feel but you need to remember that this is a business. You can\'t expect APQS to not sell machines for several months because there is an upgraded machine in the works. If they did, there wouldn\'t be a company.

I don\'t have the computerized system but just wanted to speak up and say that I\'ve had an APQS machine of one kind or another for 7 or 8 years now. They have gone above and beyond when I did have a problem (and there have been very few problems). I agree that silence is scary sometimes but from my experience with APQS and from hearing the experiences of other quilters with APQS and with other brands, I can\'t imagine APQS ever doing anything that would make me switch brands.

There have been times when I\'ve waffled about going to another machine but have never done it and have always been happy that I stayed with APQS.

If I were looking for a computer system now, with all this up in the air, I\'d wait too but I wouldn\'t switch to another brand. From what little I know about the computerized systems, you still need a fantastic longarm attached to the computer and in my opinion, it just doesn\'t get any better than the Millennium!

Did I say switch to another brand??? Nope, I don\'t believe I did.

How could APQS handled it better??? Here\'s an example ....How about doing what Apple did with the iPhone? They gave those that bought it early a $200.00 coupon to either upgrade or buy accessories or you could get cash back, the customer got the choice.

Now that Apple is coming out with a new iPhone they stopped making the old one and is now out of stock on them... but people know that the new one is coming out it wasn\'t kept hush, hush. Apple iPhone customers got a heads up. Perhaps that\'s why Apple does so well. They don\'t "screw" their customers and run with the money!

Perhaps APQS could have done something similar. A rebate for those who bought the old one 6 months before the new one came out.??? Or an option of getting a rebate or waiting for the new product???

How about announcing a sale on the "old" product, reason being that a new product is with in 6 months?

APQS had many options on how to handle this.

APQS chose to ignore this problem and haven\'t learned anything from it. I believe they will continue to do this until quilters demand a change.

My little part in demanding a change in the way they do things is to cancel my order. If enough people do this they will listen!

When I mentioned, we\'re in a recession... APQS response - "It doesn\'t affect our business." Hmmm what\'s that tell you?

Don\'t get me wrong... I like the product... just don\'t like the way they do business!

I do some quilting on the Millenium but if I want it to really look good I use one of my embroidery machines to really jazz it up. Sometimes i do the embroideries before putting the quilt together but I did a king size double wedding ring on my ellageo with one of the quilting patterns in each of the centers. It was a bit bulky handling the quilt but it really looks good finished. Now I have a 6 needle embroidery machine and want to get the flat hoop to do quilts on it. I canot get the Millenium to do what I want it to do so only use pantos most of the time. I did do some drunkard path quilts on it trying to stay 1/4 inch fome the seams but they look like I was drunk. I thought about the computer system, $14,000 plus the $18,000 for the machine but thought the six needle embroidery machine at $7,200 would work better for me.

Originally posted by lrussel2

Did I say switch to another brand??? Nope, I don\'t believe I did.

I\'m sorry if you thought I was speaking to you. I was not speaking to any one -- just stating my feelings on the whole issue and my feelings about the service and professionalism I\'ve experienced from APQS.

Originally posted by lrussel2

I was so looking forward to my new machine but I\'m not going to be deceived!

CQ is coming out with a new HARDWARE upgrade before the end of the year. This is what I\'ve been told by CQ.

APQS will not support this new HARDWARE upgrade because they have dropped CQ, although they will continue to support the old CQ systems.

APQS told me today they don\'t know if the new Millis will be compatible with CQ, and I\'m sure I\'m being told this because they want people to buy into their new computerized system.

Irussel2,

With all due respect, how can APQS tell you if the new Millies will work with a new CQ hardware upgrade they have not seen yet?

I\'m not saying for sure that it will or won\'t work... only that I can\'t tell you one way or another because I have NOT seen or even been told what the hardware changes will consist of... and I am one of the CQ installers. We were not informed of the new CQ changes, not this new one or previous ones... which puts us in a very precarious position, to say the least, when asked whether the systems will be compatible. I would suggest that you direct this question to S&D Stitches.

Maybe you were asking for something that APQS simply can\'t confirm ?? I believe that APQS acted very professional in telling you that they were not sure whether the upcoming CQ hardware changes would work or not... even at the cost of losing a sale.

Just my thoughts... not meant to ruffle anyone\'s feathers...:)

Tina,

I\'m sure that any of the systems (CQ, IQ, Statler) can be retrofitted to any machine. Warranty or no warranty it doesn\'t concern me at all. All these machines (A1, Gammill, APQS etc.) are pretty well built and there is no one machine that does it all. All I\'m saying is people need to be patient and do their homework.

I don\'t think now is the right time to buy anything...not a new machine and certainly not a computerized system! Now is the time to sit back and watch how things unfold in the next 6 months.

APQS didn\'t loose my business because of the new changes to CQ. I canceled my order because APQS couldn\'t deliver! PERIOD

Call it customer dissatisfaction.

I was never affected by the purchase of a Millenium in November, I\'ve had mine for a few years now, but I did read about those who did and felt cheated. I would too.

And like I said before, APQS didn\'t do anything about it!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

I know you dealers have to defend your space, but us customers need to be able to defend ours and be heard... not only the praises but the bad stuff too.

I\'m sorry dealers don\'t like to hear these types of complaints but instead of shooting the messenger, try fixing the problems!

Seriously.

Archived