How do I find Quilting Supplies?

Hi, Quilters. I\'m new to this forum. I am setting up to do machine quilting in my home. How do I locate batting, thread, and backing suppliers? I understand that I need a wholesale resource, and I already have my resales license, but who do you suggest? Thanks. I need all the help I can get. I\'ve really enjoyed reading all the posts so far, esp. concerning what insurance I would need, etc.

QIQ

Hi Who your Wholesale suppliers are, sort of depend which area of the US you live in. Place to start is contact the actual companies you wish to deal with they will tell you if they drop ship or they will tell you who your closest wholesale supplier is. For thread try Superior or Kingsmen. Batting contact the Brand you wish to carry etc.

As far as insurance contact your homeowners first, then maybe shop around.

Good luck,

Terry

There was an excellent thread about bags to put the quilts in - not wholesale, but good prices. Do a search. I really liked these: http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_5554.asp?keywords=handle+die+cut+bags

I concur with Superior for thread, Quilter\'s Dream for batting and Kingsman for lots of items. I also like Columbia River for lots of items - books, pantos, needles, etc.

APQS for spare parts

Sue Schmeiden - Quilting connection for zippers to attach your quilts. If you rent your machine, she sells renter sets at wholesale price.

Good luck! Don\'t go crazy buying things - go easy on templates and pantos and thread - get some basic colors and patterns and then add as you need them.

Julia

Check out Linda Lang\'s site too, she carries everything (except for batting and fabric) that one needs for longarming... www.longarmsupplies.com

Check out her site, she even has a 1-800 number! I\'ve ordered from her a bunch of times and I am pleased with her service, my order has always arrived quickly. She carries the Superior threads as well as Cuccirini thread for longarms. I\'m not affiliated, just a happy customer.

• 5 months later...
:D:D:D:D Hello zincfly....I don't think your statement about going to the "quit market" was intended to be a pun, but I think at this point in my life that my husband would like me to go to the "quit market" and not the "quilt market"!!! Purchasing a long arm machine was just the beginning!! Helen

You have gotten some good resources in this thread. I use www.brewersewing.com for some batting. They ship from both Reno and Chicago so it helps on shipping "freight intensive" items like batting. I still get some of my batting from Quilter's Dream which ships rolls of batting (from Virginia) to the west coast for $20.

Check out the Quilted Rose online for thread if you are looking for a bizillion colors. I like PermaCore TEX 40. It is a cotton-wrapped poly that has the poly toughness with the larger footprint of a cotton thread. QR sells a cone of 6,000 yds for $8 ($7 for TEX 30). And they have lots of colors.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Sharon. You didn't tell us what kind of machine your have or what part of the country you live in. It is hard to get started at first. Most of us here are very passionate about quilting. I guess you can tell, huh?

Oops, bad finger day. I meant quilt market.

I do not have a machine yet. I am setting up in January or February in rural Nebraska. I checked the quilt shops nearby and there are 3 long arms there and they all have at least a one year waiting list which means they need another long arm quilter there.

At the quilt market, you would see the newest battings, fabrics for backing, supplies and be able to make wholesale contacts. That is why I asked. Also I could order bolts of fabric for samples of work for customers to see.

I know you can contact certain batting companies and by wholesale. I did a hand quilting shop out of my home in the late 1980s and bought that way, but I never went to "market".

I do not know what the criteria is for being able to attend. Does anyone know?

Watch the shipping on batting - it can break the bank! The first batting I got was using a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's.

Has Checkers been mentioned yet (just watch the shipping cost on battin)? You can also order directly from the Warm Company and Quilter's Dream - both have locations on the east coast so check shipping to your area.

Originally posted by zincfly

At the quilt market, you would see the newest battings, fabrics for backing, supplies and be able to make wholesale contacts. That is why I asked. Also I could order bolts of fabric for samples of work for customers to see.

I know you can contact certain batting companies and by wholesale. I did a hand quilting shop out of my home in the late 1980s and bought that way, but I never went to "market".

I do not know what the criteria is for being able to attend. Does anyone know?

The last time I checked and this was 2-3 years ago you had to have a resale number, be a legit business and have at least $250.00 in receipts from a wholesale supplier to attend market. I think that was the dollar figure, but it could be different now.

I just went to Quilt Market in Houston. (It just ended on Monday and I bought an APQS will I was there) I set up my business in September and intend to be a long-armer.

For criteria I used:

My Federal Tax ID number

A business card for my business

A letter from my bank stating I have a business account (you can only do this for the first market you attend) Next year I will need to show a wholesale invoice from a market vendor for more that $300 (amount may go up this was the amount for this fall's market)

Some of the vendors require that you have a state resale license, which I also had already set up, so that was not a problem. There are also some vendor that require that you be a brick and mortar storefront to purchase, which I do not qualify for, but it was not an issue in my case. Just being able to purchase the APQS and talk to thread and batting vendors made my trip worth it.

Archived