Tribal Fusion - Sherry Rogers Harrison

This quilt won first place in Innovative Wholecloth and here is why:

It was exactly that: Innovative and a wholecloth. It was simply stunning!

What a fantastic quilt this is to see in person! Oh, I was admiring it all and appreciating the very intricate design that accentuated all of the other designs within it. Very beautiful and unique. Sherry, honey you totally outdid yourself with this piece of work. I can\'t wait to see your next INNOVATIVE piece of work.

So proud of you, Sherry. Congratulations on your very well-deserved recognition.

Sherry, I have to ask you this question: When you learned that your Tribal Fusion quilt won first place, did you lose your voice again screaming with delight? :P I\'ve been curious all week.

Shana

post--1346189967395_thumb.jpg

Dear, dear Shana!

I am sooooo happy that I entered it at MQS so you could look at it as long as you wanted to. I am so pleased you enjoyed it and I can actually feel your praise through your posting. Thank you dear Shana for always making me and everyone else you touch feel so special.

No, I never lost my voice on this win. I celebrated this one all by myself in my neighborhood where nobody knows my name!

Sherry - you are so right that Shana is just a joy to have on this board! She knows how to make a girl feel good even when they might not be having a great day! Your quilt is just awesome. I just can\'t imagine all that coloring and it is so solid! I\'m sure you spent many, many hours doing that but boy the impact was so well worth it. Not to mention the quilting designs! Just stunning! Your awards are well deserved! Congrats again.

Heidi

Sherry,

Congrats "again!" Your quilt was definitly a show-stopper, as we all knew it would be! Wish you could of been there. We had sooo much fun, and thoroughly enjoyed the up-close look at all the quilts, including Tribal\'s!

Hoping I get to see you next year at MQS! Here\'s a big "HUG" and a loud "CLAPPING" of hands!!!!

Sheri

Sherry

Your quilt is so beautiful, I could look at it all day!!

I had no doubts that it would win again, you are blessed and gifted with unique talent!:D

LL

Wow wow wow!

Sherry--it is hard to find words to describe this beauty. Everybody else used them all up. We need new superlatives for you!

My last guild meeting had a group just back from the show and they were passing a photo or two around for us to enjoy. I tell you, the room was buzzing about your quilt!

Here is a question--Since this will become the iconic Sherry Quilt (that is, until your next triumph!) what shall you call your "Style"?

Quilts by others copying this style will all be so recognizable, I think you need some special word or words to stick in people\'s minds. You know, like everybody knows what you are talking about when you say "Convergence Quilt", or "McTavishing".

Can we all make suggestions?

Like--Sherry Fusion

or "Fusion" Quilts

or Inked Fusion Quilts

What do you think and have you already decided on a name for this innovative technique? Inquiring minds and all that!!

Can\'t wait to see what you come up with next!

Good point Linda! I totally agree - don\'t have any other really great ideas though.... would like the word "Tribal" in the title....

Tribal Quilting.... Tribaling??

Shana - I would love to see this in person too - you just don\'t get the real "feel" of it.

Congrats again Sherry - you earned it baby - Enjoy!!!!!:D:P:D

p.s. there is actually a place where Nobody knows your name? hmmm... must not be quilters!!!;)

This almost looks like applique from some pics. I bet people were surprised to see it up close, thinking maybe it was a preprinted wholecloth or something. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and hear the comments when they read the details and realized it\'s ink! This is just such a COOL quilt!

Ah heck, Thanks you guys, I am soooooo happy that I got to share with you all and super excited to hear of all the attention this quilt received!!!

Tribal Fusion became its name based upon the fusion of friendship and techniques that I was blessed with when I met Tom Russell in one of my workshops. In the sing song tone of Donnie and Marie, I\'m a little bit Traditional and Tom\'s a little bit Contemporary. I coined a new terminology "Tratemporary" It seems to fit this quilt to a T!!

Its fun to see you all thinking of things to call this technique though. I have referred to it as LA Ink and or Quilt Tattoo\'s. Another good one could be Ink-lique\'

This could be fun and I am writing a book so this will come in quite handy! LOL

WOW Sherry, how wonderful and totally deserved. How exciting. Your quilt is just so beautiful there really aren\'t any words to describe it.

And on top of that, we now all know a calendar girl. Any month you are in will be a nice month.

Can hardly wait for the new book.

For sure it will be included in the 100 Best Quilts of the 21st Century. I "pin up" quilt! Iconoclastic. Just when we think every thing\'s been thought of, its artists like you that kick it up a notch (or two). It will be copied, emulated, etc. for years to come. It has a yin-yang appeal, too. Masculine color, yet feminine curves. African art overtones, depth, organic feel...In short, amazingly sophisticated--yet only 2 "colors". A grand slam home run.

Congratulations on a superior quilt.

Marlene in Tahoe

Sherry, it is an amazing quilt. I look at it & have to ask...how do you control your stitches in such tight spaces? The design is very unique, also, but controlling the machine, & knowing you have one of the "big girls"...leaves me wondering how you do it! Inquiring minds wanna\' know!

Shana, thanks for taking the excellent closeup, so we can all appreciate Sherry\'s talent.

Congratulations, Sherry! Your award is well-deserved!

Now that is a calendar I will have to get! And a photo that will be great to frame I am sure!! Not one to be tossed out at the end of the year!!!!;)

We will always wait to see your next creation! Oh - and we might even have a BOOK to read while we wait?!?! hmmm.. I want to know more!!

Thank you gals so much for such uplifting words! You all say the nicest things, thank you gobs!!!

Pat,

You asked about control. Watching me quilt is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I am very very slow. The accuracy of my stitch regulator allows me to precisly take one itsy bitsy stitch at a time if I need to. When I use my SR, I set the stitch length all the way to the right. When I to teeny tiny stuff like the connecting beads, I turn off the SR and set the speed to about 5-7%. Yep, that\'s how I roll and I love every single solitary stitch of it!!!

Sherry,

Yes you are one hot mama, calendar/pin up girl is quite an honor!!!:cool:

Originally posted by SherryRogers

I forgot to mention that Tribal Fusion was chosen to be included in the 2009 AQS calendar!! I finally get to be a calendar girl. Hope I am a nice month!!:P:D:D

Archived