Burrs on my needles

I noticed a burr on point of my needle last night and was about to change it when the machine jammed. The needle went thru the quilt and stopped in the downward motion. Like it was hitting metal. I replaced the needle without checking anything else. Gave it a shot of oil and when I started the machine to run the oil around that needle got bent.

When I checked, I noticed that the hook retaining finger had loosened and the bobbin basket was free to circle around and the needle was stopping on the metal of the bobbin basket that had come loose. So I put the hook retaining finger back in the slot on the bobbin basket, left some room for the thread to escape and tightened up the screw.

I replaced the needle and saw that the hook and needle were no longer aligned so I re-timed it. It looked good to me, hook slightly deflected the needle. So off I went. But then I noticed a burr on the new needle within the first 25 stitches. So I knew it was hitting something. I have adjusted it 3 more times (3 more needles) and I can't see where it is picking up that burr each time.

I am using new MR 3.5. I had been using MR4s previously.

Anybody go any ideas what it could be?

Is the burr occurring in the scarf area of the needle (where you have timed it to meet the hook)?? If so, my first guess is that the timing is still not adjusted perfectly.... The needle should just barely graze the hook.. I am guessing that the needle is hitting the hook hard enough to cause needle damage. Have you tried to pull it back just a tiny bit?? The needles you are using are smaller than the previous ones--- so that shouldn't be causing the needle to hit the hook any harder than before.

The burr is at the very bottom of the needle, not in the scarf at all. The hook does barely graze the needle at the scarf. A couple of times I noticed that I could not backup the needle, it hit the bobbin basket so I kept fussing with it. It runs but it makes those needle burrs almost immediately. I switched back to MR 4 - same problem. Plus I noticed a clicking sound that I don't remember hearing before.

I have adjusted the timing so much I have a permanent cramp in my forearm from spinning/holding the handwheel (too bad there is no lock on that handwheel).

I'm thinking I just need to take this machine in for a tune-up. I got it used, it was neglected and missing parts. I got it running OK and actually got two quilts done but I am throwing in the towel now. I wonder if APQS will even be willing to work on this old APQS Ultimate I. And I don't know where to send/take it in my area?

It is obviously over my head. My dead needle count is up to 11 now. All with the same burr right at the bottom of the needle.

Backlash spring? Is that the little metal thing inside the bobbin case? I put my bobbin on top of it when I load a new bobbin? Thats the backlash spring? This is a fairly new bobbin case. I got it about a month ago. I always blow it out (canned air) when I change bobbins. I noticed that it had a lot of dust but the backing on this quilt is flannel so I just figured that was the dust.

I am at work now but will try that when I get home and let you know how it went. Thanks for the quick response.

Hi Ramona, I am not sure if your Ultimate I has a collar behind the hook assembly that keeps it from moving in and out, try to grab your hook assembly and check for in/out motion which could allow the hook to move out more during running. The collar has setscrews on it which can be loosened. It must be all the way back against the wall to prevent any in/out movement.

I had a clicking noise on the Millennium once when I timed the machine with a G.B. San 11 MR4 needle and then switched to a Singer MR4. However it did not hurt the point of the needle.

Sherry watch out, we are landing at SEATAC @ noon on Wednesday. Kathy and I are spending a week near Squim.:)

I had not thought to look at the collar at the end of the shaft. When I switched out my hopping foot (1 quilt ago), I had to remove the bobbin cage, loosen the collar so I could push the shaft back enough to pull the old hopping foot out and put the new one in.

I wonder if when I replaced the hopping foot, maybe I did not sufficiently tighten the collar that holds the shaft in place. That's another thing I need to check. Of course, I have quilted one quilt since then but maybe the shaft has been working its way out since I changed the hopping foot.

I know that the 3 set screws behind the bobbin cage were OK - I did play with with those during the timing process. But the shaft set screw is more like an allen wrench screw (not phillips or flat screw). I'm going to check that when I get home.

I hope that I have not wrecked my machine with my tinkering.

Thank you for the idea. I will post what I find.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the machine back from the shop. When I replaced my hopping foot, I moved the needle bar and did not tighten it enough. Over time the needle bar dropped a tiny bit but that caused the needle to run into the hook. That is why my needles kept getting burrs. The shop raised my needle, replaced the hook, greased up this old 1989 machine and it was back to me in two days. Works great except...well that's another post.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Linda

Archived