Claudia Pfeil's Fabric Challenge

Okay, the fabulous Claudia gave some of her fabric to those who would promise to make something, any size, by the end of June. We were allowed to add other fabrics to it as well.

Being a bit complusive whenever I have ANY form of deadline, I started working on it Monday. :P

Here\'s what Ive go so far. I just need to let the Shiva set 2 more days then I can practice some of the couching and fills I learned in her class. Oh, and embelish the heck out of it right?

The gold in the border and bits in the body are the only fabric I added, all the rest is from her collection.

post--13461899684864_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Linda, I have not unpacked either.... My suitcase is still at the end of the bed. The dirty clothes removed, but the clean clothes (I always over pack) need to be put away. The laundry pile has gone as high as my butt and then fallen over in my absence. The only thing I\'ve done productive (well 1 load of wash) was to put away my MQS purchases. Mostly so I could fondle them.:P

But since I now have to wait for the Shiva to dry, I\'ll probably be good and at least a little domestic.;)

Claudia, I dreamed about couching things on it all night! :P I\'ll post pics with it finished.

Claudia,

On my plane ride home (some where over Wyoming, I think), I pulled out your swatches and petted them and admired the designs in the fabric and lots of ideas are coming to my mind.

So, I was in a big rush out the door at MQS on my way to the airport, when I grabbed the fabric swatches, and I do not know the deadline in June. Can someone tell me a day (date) in June I need to have this done?

And, just to clarify, there are no rules with this fabric challenge? If I want to cut it up (fussy cut) I can do this, too? And, I can add a fabric of my own to accentuate yours, too? Just want to make sure I understand. :)

Hey Shana. Glad to hear you made it home ok and hopefully you aren\'t getting sick with the crud that I had all week.

Claudia told me the only rule was to have a picture posted of your project by the end of June. It just has to be a picture of the project in progress, not necessarily finished. Have fun with it!! It is fabulous fabric with tons of possibilities!!

Debbi

Do whatever you want to do with the fabric pieces;):D:cool:

And the deadline of end of june is only to show "something" on the chat - it hasn´t to be finished then!;):cool:

I´m sooooooo curious what you will do with them!

It was sooooo wonderful to meet you in Kansas!

We have to repeat it!;):D:cool:

Claudia

Debbi - I\'m so glad that you are feeling better. But how sad, you have probably lost your sexy Lauren Bacall voice. :cool:

Do you remember my saying that if you gave your cold to 2 other people, you would get rid of the cold sooner? :P OK, so who is the other person that you gave it to besides me? MaryBeth, maybe. Oh, ugh. Good luck to Shana, your roomie. She probably won\'t catch it; Shana probably has a cast-iron immune system after living in Alaska.:D

Tracye, what exactly is shiva? Is it a thread or embellishment for quilts. The only shiva I know is "sitting shiva". Can you explain shiva, please?

Linda,

The count is now two for my cold. You and MB. :( :( You should have just let me fall over on Thursday night at the ice cream social instead of holding me up. You probably wouldn\'t have caught it. :P:P

I still have the sexy Lauren Bacall voice in the afternoons. Maybe that will hang on for awhile and everything else go away. At least until it catches me a hubby that can support my expensive quilting habits!! :P

Anyone else catch this awful cold yet?

Debbi

Well now I am even more sad I didn\'t get to go. I did however have the same crud, so someone sent it via this chat I am guessing.

Patty Jo want to go Claudie fabric shopping whenever it hits the LQS? We don\'t have one in Gresham so I could drive however many miles and adopt yours right?

Tracye after your other award winning quilt, I can hardly wait to see what you do with this.

I thought I posted this on Saturday but it didn\'t show up so now that everyone knows what is going on....

Claudia had one more fabric pack for the challenge. I have it and if you are interested in the challenge talked about on this thread, then email me at donnawsmith2@msn.com or u2u me. I will respond to let you know I got your message. Everyone who is interested will go into a drawing and the lucky winner will get the last fabric pack. So to make it fair, I will take entries until Friday at 5 pm Eastern time. I\'ll post the winner here.

BTW Tracey, yours looks great. I truly need to get my act together. I finished a memory quilt yesterday and used not only stuff I learned from Claudia, but also sashings by Deloa Jones. Need to have my studio cleaned and in order in two hours, a new customer is coming by.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Donna

Oh my Tracye,

That is quite beautiful. I have been thinking about my use of the swatches. Now I am even more inspired. I am glad I am not the only one that has yet to unpack. No inspiration. I have been using my Lola and quilting away with some of the new techniques. I guess I should get around to it maybe...by the weekend???:P:P:P

Nancy

Linda, here\'s a description and a link.

http://www.sewthankful.com/ShivaPaintstiksAndMore.html

Shiva Artist’s Paintstik® Oil Colors are real paint in solid form. They are not crayons, oil pastels or soft pastels, but highly refined drying oils blended with durable pigments and then solidified into stick form.

My sweet gal pal Danetta Burnette (quiltcrazy) gave me some for my birthday last year and I just got them out for the first time to do the dark brown on Hick Chick (leather) quilt.

For Claudia\'s I used painters stencils. One thing I want to play with is doing it lighter. Danetta made me a quilt and used leaf stencils and a coppery Shiva paintstick and until I asked her how she did it I would have sworn that she appliqued a sheer organza onto the top. It was transparent but still showed really well!

Thank you for you vote of confidence Bekah! It\'s fun to do things like this where you can get out of your comfort zone and just play.

I had ideas of using the swatches in some sort of paper piecing but needed bigger pieces so I have to wait until it gets to the quilt shop. :P

That\'s really cool Donna that you\'re using stuff you learned already!!! I love that about MQS!!!!

Can\'t wait to see what you come up with Nancy Jo, you are so creative. Unpacking can wait I think. At least until I get tired of stubbing my toe on the suitcase.;)

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Tracye, what exactly is shiva? Is it a thread or embellishment for quilts. The only shiva I know is "sitting shiva". Can you explain shiva, please?

Linda, I\'m jumping in to answer this. I believe Shiva is paint sticks you apply to fabric and can smudge or mix and blend on fabric. I\'ve not used it but have seen photos/advertisements for shiva paint sticks.

Debbi, good news: I made it (so far) without getting the nasty flu/infection you had last week. Whew! :) Every year I get the flu shot so hopefully that kept it from attacking my system.

Thanks for the answers re: fabric swatches. It will be fun to see what everyone does with there pieces.

I\'m home (actually at my day job as I type this note), and I am getting back into the swing of things; every day life. It\'s a nice bright day outside today. Spring is here; the birds are here; it\'s supposed to be in the mid 60\'s all week.

We\'re a little behind y\'all in the L48 with blooming flowers, but ours should be out in a few weeks. Here is a photo of the tree outside my office window -- it just popped its little fresh new leaves last week and will be fully bloomed by mid June.

Enjoy a wonderful day, everyone! :cool:

post--13461899685105_thumb.jpg

I recognize these fabrics!!!! These are some of what I saw at the Houston Show in November! I am so excited. I don\'t peice, so I am so excited to see what everyone comes up with. I can\'t wait!

WOOHOO Claudia, you rock!

And Tracye, that border design is perfect! It would pretty much go along with all the fabrics!

Linda, Claudia just said to do something, anything, anysize with the fabric swatches that you could have to post here on the chat by the end of June. You can add other fabrics if you need/want.

Did I get that right gals?

Thanks for posting those pics on your webshots, I need some of those other colors too! I love that quilt!

Hey Tracye-

Boy are you fast! I\'ve been so busy since getting home. Quilting at night and getting things ready at the shop. Guess I better get a move on with this challenge.

Your quilt looks great!

It was great meeting all of you face to face at MQS. Didn\'t get to visit much. Seems like I never have enough time.

As usual, gotta run,........

Have a great day..

Laura

Archived