Ciomputer Quilting VS Hand Guided

Cheryll

Can someone clarify if computer quilting competes with hand guided quilting in a show. I spoke to one person at a quilt store in the Kansas area. She told me she had won ribbons in a show. She did not understand my question when I asked if she had to enter it in a special category for computerized quilting. It seems more and more people are going towards computerized will shows be clearly saying that if it was done by a computer it will be in a separate category from work done by a person standing there really doing it.

At MQX the hand guided and computer guided complete against each other. If I remember correctly the reasoning is that just because it\'s computerized doesn\'t mean that the quilt is perfect. The could still be bad design choices, bad tension, bad thread choices, bad digitizing resulting in curves that are not smooth and crooked lines, etc.

Debbi

I just filled out the entry form for the Maine State Guild show and stitch regulator and computer guided were both on the "check if appropriate" list. It doesn\'t look like separate categories, maybe just a note for the judges to take into consideration.

As was mentioned before, quilts will always have a human factor (I hope)

Leslie

I think every show has different rules and different categories; and to make it more confusing, sometimes the rules change from one year to the next (even with the same show), so I think you have to read carefully for the specifics in each category for every year and every show and don\'t take for granted that the same rules apply from the prior year, or the future years.

I think they like to keep us on our toes!!! :P

Archived