My Next personal project - colored quilts

I\'ve been working on this sitting in front of the TV at nights after I\'m done in the studio. This is just a sneak peak of my newest project. I hope to get it finished for the June 6th NWLA\'rs meeting and I\'ll bring it for show and tell. Here it is:

2986289890094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Irena Bluhm uses get this Roseart colored pencils. She uses some kind of liquid medium. I wish I knew a little more to tell you. She has a book on the technique. It\'s called " Quilts of a Different Color" You can buy it from AQS\'s web site. www.AmericanQuilter.com I saw her and the book with her kit a MQS. I decided I could get the book cheaper thru AQS and I already have the Roseart pencils. I still need to get that book ordered! :cool:

thanks for the words of encouragement. The colored pencils that I had were very inexpensive, yet they work too. If you are doing a large bed quilt or wall hanging, there are 3 different liquids that you mix together and paint over the pencil coloring to set it, but if you are doing a smaller wall hanging, you can use any textile medium, paint over the colored places, let it dry and then heat set it with an iron. Part of this picture is a panto that I quilted up from Designs by Deb ("Hibiscus") and then I added freehand stuff around it.

Good for you Donna. I also feel very calm, cool and peaceful as I do this. Who says I need therapy. This takes me back during the covered wagon days, coloring in my coloring book in grade school :P:D :cool: I am joking - just incase you thought that I really did live in the covered wagon days.:D

Your covered wagon reminded me of a speaker who once asked "How many of you grew up without houses?" I was shocked when a whole bunch of ladies raised their hands. I just couldn\'t imagine. I snapped about a minute later. She had said " with OUT houses", not "without houses.: It gave me a good chuckle.

Donna

Patty Jo that is fantastic!!!!! What a brilliant idea to use part of a pantograph!

I\'ve just been auditioning threads to start quilting my class sample from her class last week. I finished marking it last night.

I LOVE your colors!!

Can\'t wait to see more pics.

I am humbled by all your comments. You know that this is only about a 6" square of a much larger piece and of course I showed you the prettiest spot! I\'m going to continue coloring tonight and hopefully, will be able to get the textile medium on it in a day or so, after I finish a couple of quilts. I just love doing this, but your hands do get tired. Thanks for all the comments. I\'ll post pics after the meeting for ya all to see.

PattyJo

It looks so wonderfull! I lover fabric painting. But I do it with expensive pencils! In Germany everything is expensive when you want to have some fun in your freetime! You want some fabrics .... expensive ... you want to do your own warm socks ..... expensive and pencils for fabric painting are ...... expensive :)

I love the book of Irena Bluhm! But I don´t know where I can buy the textile medium! I think in Germany we don´t know that. Does everyone knows if Irena Bluhm has an Internetshop or something like that? Thanks

Manuela

Hello Manuela over the ocean - the colored pencils tht I have I bought in an office supply/school supply store and spent very little $$ for them. Less than $2 if I remember right. They are very inexpensive here. Maybe I could send you a box if you can\'t find them in Germany. I know that there are paint sticks here that are more money, but these are the kind that children use in school. And as far as the textile medium, they sell it in craft stores in the same section as acrylic paints, little 2 oz bottle is maybe $3 or $4 and goes a long way. The fabric that I\'m using is some that I think is rayon. I\'ve had it for so long that I\'m not really sure what it is. I just thought that I would practice on it and then buy sateen (Which Irena recommends) later for yet a more beautiful wall hanging. I can\'t remember the sizes of the quilts that she has made, but I can\'t imagion doing a full size bed quilt this way. It is hard on my hands as you have to kind of scrub the color into the fabric. Anyway I hope that this will help you find these items. As far as thread goes, I tried using cotton thread and did 2/3 of it with it, but I think I have a bad cone of thread cause it started to break every 10 to 12 inches and I ended up having to change to a poly and that worked much better. I hope this will help you find these products and then just go for it.!!! It really is FUN

Hello PattyJO!

Thank you so much for your answer!The colores pencils I can find in an school supply store too. And after you explain (hope it is the right word) me where I can find the textilmedium I try to find it in an art shop! In Germany there are only a few people who paint on fabric. They only do it on kids t-shirts or pillows. But never freehand! So I can´t get a lot of stuff for this. But know I can try to find.

Thank you again and have a lot of fun with painting fabrics.

Manuela