My Next personal project - colored quilts

"In Germany there are only a few people who paint on fabric. They only do it on kids t-shirts or pillows."

Hi Manuela,

That\'s exactly what that textile medium was designed for. So you could use your acrylic paints for your kids tee shirts instead of needing the "puffy" paints. I still have some, I think, but I didn\'t know you paint it on afterward instead of mixing with the paints. I said I was going to do this some day, and now, Patty Jo, you\'ve really got me hungering to....

Still love your M.J. Fox quote. Think of it every (quilting) day....

Very pretty Patty Jo. You gave me a shove since I now have everything to try it. If you look at Irena\'s quilts, she has done motifs that she wants to color in a colored thread with the rest of the white quilt stitched in white thread. Here is a close up of one of her quilts that I saw at the Denver National Quilt Festival.

Vicki

Hi Jean - Yes, you quilt it first, then color it. I did the main objects and colored it. I\'ve kept the zippers on and will put it back on the machine to do the small fill around the larger flowers & leaves and a bit more texturing here and there.

Patty Jo - Very pretty!! Thanks for sharing a sneek peek with us - you tease.... I look foward to seeing the rest of it!:)

Donna - Oh! Can you imagine - Outhouses, especially around here in the winter time....brrr & grr.... I avoid ever having to use a port-a-potty if I can - I don\'t even like to drive behind them when they are hauling them from here to there! I know they spay them out and clean them... but still.... drip-drip...dripage (if thats a word).

Vicki - Thanks for posting the close-up of Irene\'s work - you are so good at taking photos - way to go girl!!

Manuela,

I would be happy to send you the textile medium and colored pencils. According to Irena\'s book it can take several pencils of the same color, what ever colors you are using, to do a quilt, unless it is very small.

Patty Jo is correct about the medium mix if you are making a quilt that will be washed. PJ, your quilt is beautiful..love the soft coloring.

Where do you live in Germany? I lived there for 3 years while my husband was in the Army there. We lived in Gelnhausen and Mainz. My maternal great-grandparents were from Goettingen and Baden Baden. They met on the boat on the way to the US in 1889. My grandma was born in 1891 in Cincinnati, OH. The family names were von Rudolph(Opa) and Metzger(Oma).

My email is buytheyard@gmail.com

Hi Judi, Marlette & Jeanne Thank you for your kind words. I\'m working on finishing my quilt. I\'m not very good at small background fill, but using this as a practice piece. I\'ll be keeping it for our house but gives me a good way to learn this before I get a customer quilt that wants it! I\'ll post a pict of it later. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Sherry - your Lancaster Star would be beautiful done with this technique. Irene goes for a more formal look and I love some of her designs. I thought that I would try something that is a bit out of the ordinary and do a little freehand and some panto pattern mixed together and I call it "Out of the Box". I\'ll be posting pictures the end of this week.

Archived