Mary Beth.... pinwheel quilt

Mary Beth...

Seen the pin wheel quilt you posted on April 12...

love it... have a quilt in now... going to give the circles a try...

did you bury the tails of thread or cut off...

this is my first time at posting anything ....I\'ve been a lurker up till now...I did meet you at MQS and did major surgery on your finger....well at least the splinter is gone....and there is fine line between major and minor sugery....At least ..I hope your finger is still attached to your hand.

QuiltingMill

Thank you, Thank you for removing my splinter. I have been watching Ebay, but have not seen it listed :P

And it was major surgery because it was happening to me ;)

About burying threads....are you kidding!! No I didn\'t bury, and after attending classes at MQS have decided not to ever bury threads. Every teacher mentioned it and every teacher poopooed (sp? :o) it. So if some of the really accomplished quiltiers/teacher don\'t do it, I\'m not either. They all either speed up and make tiny stitches or back stitch. I backstitch always, but have decided, if I know the quilt will be going to a show I\'m going to try to remember to make tiny stitches.

What device will you be using to make your circles? Of course I am a CL girl and it was easier than I thought it would be once I got started. Good luck....I want pictures....

And, welcome to the forum!!

Isn\'t that the truth...I met so many people who seemed to know me and I felt like I was starting to get that "deer in the headlight" look every time someone came up to introduce themselves. It was really like a family reunion, we all "knew" each other, but we didn\'t :o

Mary Beth..

Thanks so much for the info.....I know bury or not to bury is not a big thing.....Well yes it is...thats alot of work for us.....I am using the Hartley fence...so will take me a while...but after getting my mo..joe going, I\'m sure it will move along faster.....As for your finger...in my life before children.... I was a surgical tech...other words I handed instruments to the surgeon during surgery....You were in good hands....as for selling your splinter on e-bay that will have to wait for another day....I\'m not computer savey..more of a hands on gal...Thanks and will not be so afraid to jump in again...

Linda Mc

QuiltingMill

Woo Hoo! Welcome Linda!

Now where oh where is Sharon Dimberg? I spoke w/her on the phone last nite re: the edgerider wheels, and she said she\'d also "come out of lurkville."

SHARON.....WHERE R U??????

This chat and MQS for 2009 is gonna be HUGE! WOO HOO 4 US!

Mary Beth, Hi! Could you please explain how you do the tiny stitches for ending? I tried to do the knot and bury thing, but could not figure that out. I just got done with my 2nd quilt (cutomer) and I just backstitched, but still not real happy with that look....My problem is , I need to SEE something done.... but maybe you can explain good!! thanks!! linda

Let\'s see, since I haven\'t seen it done...only had the teachers "say" that\'s what they do, my thought is that they speed the SR up to about as high as it will go for the last few stitches. The teachers that said that they do this said those stitches aren\'t going anywhere. Try it and let me know what you think...

I\'m still trying to break myself of using the thread cutter...not sure I can remember to speed up and not hit that silly button too :o

Hi Mary Beth!! So you haven\'t tried it? Why would you not want to use your thread cutter? What do you do with your thread if you don\'t do that? I don\'t know how to get my thread to come up to the top when I am done with a "row" OR whatever. Man, do I have allot to learn!!!:o

When I use the thread cutter I have a tail about 4" long left on the back of the quilt. When I am doing custom type quilting it can take me an hour or so just to clip threads on the front and back of the quilt, depending on the size of the quilt.

If I can learn to end my stitching line, either by back tacking or by making the tiny stitches, then move my machine back, take hold of the top thread and hold it, then bring the machine back and needle down/up in the same hole, that will pull the bobbin thread to the top, then I just clip all three threads and Ta-Da!! Then there are not theads to clip on the back of the quilt.

But, it\'s hard to teach an old dog a new trick!! Every time I back tack, I hit that stupid button and stomp my foot. It is just automatic...hitting the button and stomping my foot because I hit the button :)

One more time on the thread cutter? How does that work? I\'m always pulling to the top then cutting off. I\'ve never tried the thread cutter. I just learned that when I change thread with sew fine or bottom line, I can pull the knot clear through the needle. I always pulled it out and re-threaded the needle (duh), wouldn\'t you know!

Mary Beth, I\'m with you... I figured out how to unplug it from the panto side, but not yet from the front. I accidently hit that button too and it drives me CRAZY!

When I stop, sometimes I "squat" to clip the thread if it\'s close to the front... but i use the one stitch button, and like you bring the bobbin thread to the top... when you pull on the bobbin thread, the one that doesn\'t move is the one to cut. Someone should have shown you that when you got your machine... I learned it from classes.

When I bought my machine, the thread cutter was "the" big deal. Everyone was excited about it. Just before I got my machine I was watching a local lady quilt. She was on a practice piece and when she finished stitching she just reached under and broke the thread. I asked her why not the thread cutter and she said, I never use it. I thought that was a little strange since that was one of the things the dealer really pushed at the time.

So, Bobbi, you disconnected the thread cutter on the back...I\'m guessing in your mushroom handle??

Archived