Need thoughts on Quilting Density in Border

Sams Mom

Hello all,

I am finishing up a sampler quilt that is pretty heavily quilted. The 4 1/2 inch wide border however, where I started, is piano key piecing that has 1 1/2 inch wide keys. Because I was worried there was some fullness in the border, I just SID around the keys. Then I ended up going wild in the quilt and I\'m wondering if the less dense border is really a problem. Since it is SID, I can\'t really a large scale pattern, it would have to be individual in each key.

I\'d really like to be done now. Is that OK or am I a slackard?

Donna

Donna,

I would unroll the quilt a little bit while it is still on your frame. You should easily be able to see if you need to do more quilting in the border. If you do, you could make a simple X in each piano key, or maybe divide each one in half, or do a curl up the middle of each piano key, etc. Something that you could do continuously all the way around the border.

Debbi

BTW - You are definitely not a slackard. Not with those feathers!! Very pretty.

Thanks Debbi, I laid it out and even though it lays flat, there is a definite difference in the texture. So, tomorrow morning I\'ll make that piano sing.

Colleen, this is the Avatar BY Dummies verison. Linda Card can give you the real answer. First of all, you need a picture that is available on the internet. Mine is on webshots. To be an avatar, the picture must be small, 100x100 pixals. If you are working on Webshots, click on the photo and it gives you the option of making it this size 100. Click on the 100, and then look for the address for linking it to a website. Highlight the address, and copy it. Then you can go to the APQS chat website and click on User control panel (upper right corner, under logged in as....) If you click on Edit, you can then find the link for the avatar, where you can paste this link. Then Sam changes from cute five year old, to goofy 11 year old with his newly broken arm.

Good luck!

Donna

I love the quilt. It is hard to tell from the photo that you posted but if I were going to add anything, I would want it to be continuous (lots of keys there) and visible. I took the liberty of displaying some of my fine drawing skills (ick :P) for some ideas that might work.

Or .....go back to your Deloa Jones notes and find something that works. I remember a sashing design she had that was a curl that went into a single feather then out to a single leaf that might beef up those keys.

donna.bmp

OK, here it is finished. I carried the feather theme to the light areas and the straight lines to the dark areas so I think it looks "thought out". I did alot of practicing on this quilt and although it has some issues, (like I don\'t know how to finish the inside of the circle feathers at the same angle as I started), the pebbling makes it look like I wanted it to look like this. Don\'t think the client took the same class I did last week so she won\'t know.

Sam\'s cast is red and it is a soft cast so he can swim in it. He just can\'t play the guitar. Hopefully it comes off before Rock (as in \'n Roll) camp.

Thanks for all the help!

Donna

That I´ve told told you something similar what happened to my son Julian last year having the truck accident! But I´ve used the wrong words....sorryyyyyy- my funny english - using a translating system: concreet instead of cast!*lol* Yeeees..... and you all reminded me this time at MQS:D:cool: Promise: I will never use concreet again*lol*

Donna.... I saw the shock in your face, while getting the phone call......I felt with you!!!! I knew what was going through your mind! I hope everything is going well with Sam! Best wishes to him!

I like your quilt - if you wouldn´t have finished, I would propose different sizes of bubbles every second row!

Have a nice sunday and memorial day.....

Sending sunshine across the ocean.....

Claudia

Hey Claudia,

Thanks for the thoughts. You are right about the stress. When I got the call and DH is hemming and hawing and I go right to "JUST TELL ME THE STATUS".

He\'s doing fine. Apparently the cast makes the pain go away.

I\'ve been practicing! Watch out next year, I\'ve got my quilt all planned out!

PROST.

Donna

Archived