Chairs for doing micro-work

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to inquire of what kind of chair you use when doing long hours of micro quilting. The drafting chair I have moves back and forth and swivels so there is not much control. Do you use a height adjustable stool or are there some drafting chairs that have wheel locks and swivel locks on them? Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.:)

Janice

Wow who knew there was a motorized chair. Does that table seem really low to anybody else? To me it looks so much lower than mine and I only have it up about an inch or so.

Janice - my wheels do not lock. I don\'t find that I need it to lock and I\'m on hardwood. I do have to say I have long legs but once I\'m put I put my legs up on the bar so they are off the ground.

When I was looking for a stool, I too wanted one that would not move around too much. I researched many sites and found an artists stool that accomodates standing, sitting and getting up and down alot. I bought the

DC206 Synchro-Tilt Drafting Stool by Alvin. http://www.draftingsteals.com/tastdcsy.html

The stool took a little getting used to, however, I really like it. I have a cement floor, so other chairs moved too much as my arms worked. I find this stool very nice and also gives my lumbar the support it needs.

I have laminate flooring and found that the drafting chair I purchased at an office supply store rolled around too much. I solved the problem by purchasing an area rug that I throw down when I am going to use the chair. Problem solved. Now if I could just grow legs so I could get into it easier....!!

Jan,

Accomplish Quilting offers a drafting chair and alignment mat combo for $390. The chair wheeled base fits in a horizontal metal groove in the mat that is the length of your table. It can only move side to side and only when you want to move it. You might try looking into that one. They\'re located in Stevensville, MI.

Janice, I use a saddle stool on hard wood floors without any problem.

Of course my floors are well over 100 yrs old and not smooth anymore and

I probably have enough thread wrapped in the wheels that is won\'t move much.

ROFL. ( I am still working on finding a better method of dealing with clipped threads

than throwing them on the floor. LOL)

Michele

Michelle,

I am still working on finding a better method of dealing with clipped threads

When you come up with something let me know. I have a trash can by my machine....I usually clip and throw...like Eleanor Burns....I hate that....but it happens. I am usually at the other side or other end of the machine from the trash...or I am right next to it. After I clip and throw...I look down and mentally kick myself!!:D:P

Originally posted by mrmquilt

I am still working on finding a better method of dealing with clipped threads

than throwing them on the floor.

Tape a piece of batting with double sided tape to the top of your machine just behind the laser post. The bat will hold all of your stray threads and keep them off the floor or table top and out of your wheels. Then in one batch you can hit the trash can ;)

Michelle and MB,

I also clip and throw, but I throw them on the quilt where I\'ve already quilted. Before I roll the quilt, I swipe a lint brush over the top of it. Probably not the best way of doing it. I tried the trash can and half the time the threads didn\'t make it into the trash can. Then the vacuum ended up cleaning them up. Not good because they wrap around the beater brush. At least with them on top of the quilt, a couple of swipes takes care of it and my vacuum is that much happier. :P:P

Debbi

I use a saddle stool, and in checking it out last night, found that I lean on the rollers a bit,and that seems to keep me from rolling around.. I also have the laminate floors.

The motorized one would be nice, but I sure can\'t see me using it and trying to clean the wheels, etc.

As for threads.. the solution was in a post several weeks ago, make a small apron with two pockets. In one I put the blunt end scissors, and in the other, a piece of poly batting to "catch the threads" to start, then they almost migrate there. When I don\'t have it on, my front left side really becomes a mishmash of threads. That\'s not nearly as easy to clean as the pocket is to pull threads off the poly bat.

RitaR

Michele & MB,

I got a smock with two pockets. The one on the right I put any small tools I\'m using for that quilt, such as rulers, chalk, marking pen, etc. The left hand pocket is for threads. I clip and automatically put the threads in my left pocket. One day I forgot to put my smock on and didn\'t notice until I did that first clip. At the end of my project I empty the pocket and then I don\'t have any stray threads to worry about...I have enough other things to keep my eyes on!

I wear an apron with a big pocket in the front--this keeps my clothes clean--I have had a black backing give off on it--and I use the pocket to hold the thread pieces. I usually empty it every quilt.

Now I have to add I usually do this--if I am getting to the end of a large custom job that I am extremely sick of doing--they go Elanor Burns style too!!

oaky, I\'m going to combine techniques. I have an apron with pockets...I just forget to put it on :D I\'m going to start wearing my apron and try to remember to put the threads in the pocket....or...lay the threads on the quilt where I have already been. Time will tell!!

Man I thought I was doing good with the Eleanor Burns thing....and vaccuming once or twice a year. Now I have to learn to put threads in my pockets....It might be hard to train an OLD dog to do a new trick, but at least I now know what the left pocket on my apron is suppose to be used for....it has always been the empty one.;):P

Archived