What Tools Do You Use for Quilting Around Applique?

Debbie, the quilting is awesome! I was glad to hear how you were handling all the starts and stops (to finish them off)....burying that many could just about do you in! I have also used the idea of 1/4" around the applique, then gradually spreading the stitching out until you get more of a curvy affect. Depending on the quilt and the customer\'s intention, I think that works very well--but if the applique is very close together--as in Debbi\'s I believe you would have to stick with 1/4" because you don\'t have a lot of room. I\'ll be looking for Deloa\'s tool! Jane

Gee, Linda - the rulers aren\'t suppose to go under the hopping foot? I\'ll bet that\'s why mine have all those nicks in them. VBG Actually the worse damage I did with a ruler was leaving one on top while advancing the quilt. Now I have 2 short wavy rulers instead of one long one.

Off the Edge has a CD on ways to use their rulers - I always come home from a show with a batch of rulers and have already forgotten what neat trick the demo was about whch caused me to hand over the smoking debit card.

Judith Fosse

Southern Illinois

Debbi - love, love your quilting!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and help. I marked the heck out of the quilt and went really slow but thanks to everyone\'s advice...maybe it didn\'t turn out too bad. Some of the ink may still show but it should disappear in a day or too...

The bird was freaking me out!!!

post--13461899738996_thumb.jpg

DELOA\'S APPLIGUIDE ORDERING INFO

Sorry for the delay in adding the guide to my site but i have been traveling and teaching across the country and just got myself out of a huge pile of quilts, the web site has been updated and i have added my two new books and the appliguide everyone is excited about. it has a beveled edge which makes everything a ton easier as it smoothly glides over seams and appliques, it also doubles as an affordable micro drive, i will be adding a video demo in the coming day or two, i have changed my telephone number also so you can contact me via cell at 269-767-2799 or studio 269-637-4268 the books and guides will make a great fathers day present...he he he thanks

to order visit

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com

post--13461899793091_thumb.jpg

DELOA\'S APPLIGUIDE ORDERING INFO

Sorry for the delay in adding the guide to my site but i have been traveling and teaching across the country and just got myself out of a huge pile of quilts, the web site has been updated and i have added my two new books and the appliguide everyone is excited about. it has a beveled edge which makes everything a ton easier as it smoothly glides over seams and appliques, it also doubles as an affordable micro drive, i will be adding a video demo in the coming day or two, i have changed my telephone number also so you can contact me via cell at 269-767-2799 or studio 269-637-4268 the books and guides will make a great fathers day present...he he he thanks

to order visit

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com

post--13461899793212_thumb.jpg

Thanks Deloa. The guide was a tremendous help and the panels were shipped off to the decorator last Monday. She was absolutely thrilled with them.

Right now I\'m using your guide on another applique quilt. I am having some difficulty using it with straight diagonal lines on the applique. I seem to drift off the line or I can\'t keep the line straignt. Do you use it for straight diagonal lines? Any advice or tips??

Thanks,

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We have just launched a Long Arm Cross Hatch Guide that does not require any marking on your quilt, you use it from the front of the machine and will give you cross hatching to be proud of

We also make a range of curves, clamshells and waves that operate with the guide fence. Available from Australia www.westalee.com.au and shortly from www.quiltersrule.com in the U.S.A.

Leonie

Archived