what is your favorite batting?

hey guys, back again for another question. ive got the sewing part all figured out now.

anyway, i live in florida and it gets pretty hot down here. i wanted to know what batting would come out soft and fluffy, but at the same time cool and light enough so i dont have to turn the air way down at night. oh yea, something with little to no shrinkage would be nice too.

the comforter i have on my bed right now has this kind of super fluffy stuff on it that\'s not that warm at all. what is this and how much does it cost?

Personally I like the Quilter\'s Dream poly battings, but their puffy batting is warmer than down so you would melt in Florida... But it is great here in Maine!

Be cautious of the low cost, high loft battings at some of the discount stores. They are often uneven and difficult to work with. Think of cotton candy mixed made of steel wool.

Consider using wool. It is light weight and it breathes but it will also keep you warm when it is chilly. I have a customer with kids in Florida and she likes the wool in their quilts. I live in Colorado with warm summer nights and I use wool exclusively on my bed quilts.

Again....batting is like quilting....each person will have his or her own likes and dislikes. All we can tell you is our perferences, but you have to experience the effects yourself to see if you like it or decide that its not for you.

The only batting I can tell you I HATE is Fairfield 80/20, which I have just used for the first time because I didn\'t have time to order the kind I usually have on hand...HOBB 80/20.

I used it in a 65" x 65" quilt, and it bearded up so badly, that when I washed it I think more came out of the quilt than stayed in, even in the washing machine there are bits of batting all over the quilt.

It quilted up wonderfully, but now its in the wash and I can\'t say I really like it. TO flat, bearded really bad, and now so limp I wonder if any batting is still in there.

Once out of the wash and completely dry I can tell if it shrank or not....it states that there is a 4% shrinkage, and the quilt must be quilted at least 3-4 inches apart....did that, so lets see how big the quilt is now once its dry....will let you know.

Sorry...I may have been the one who confused you. I don\'t really know if the wool would be too hot for you or not. I read that some feel the Puff (advertised as warmer than wool) and the wool would keep you nice and warm. Therefore, I thought they might be too warm for Florida. On the other hand, wool will breath, so it might be perfect for you.

Let us know what batting you decide to use. Good luck with your quilt.

Several years ago I gave up on Hobbs batting. I just couldn\'t get consistently good quality batting from them.

I used Warm & Natural and Quilters Dream for a while but have switched pretty much exclusively to Mountain Mist batting. I use their Rose which is 100% cotton and very flat. In my opinion, it feels very similar to Quilters Dream Cotton, Select weight, but the Rose seems to work a little better for me when tugging and smoothing to get it through the longarm. I didn\'t have any problems with QD, but the Rose seems to work better.

I like the Mountain Mist Gold which is 50/50 and that\'s what I use when I want something not quite so flat or something that isn\'t 100% cotton. It has plenty of poof for good feathers (not for trapunto - just regular, every day feathers) and is drapeable too.

I\'ve been through probably 10 rolls of Mountain Mist batting and have yet to find a flaw or a problem. I always had perfect Quilters Dream and Warm & Natural batting too some seem to have a negative opinion of Mountain Mist . . maybe from products made many years ago??

Anyway, I love their battings!

wierd... i just looked up batting and this site is selling it in black. my quilt is mostly black, red, and white, should i order it online? or is there really no difference between black and white? (they don\'t sell black batting at my jo - ann\'s)

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/midnight-dreams.htm

or there\'s this mountain mist stuff at jo - ann\'s that\'s cheap.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3605&PRODID=prd48131

Black batting is good for a mostly black quilt instead of white, which sometimes "beards". That means the tiny white fibers in the batting migrate through the fabric and stitches and show as tiny hairs on the top.

If you decide on black batting, it may show through the white fabric in your quilt top and "gray" the white down. That is not attractive and depending on which way the seam allowances are pressed, a gray "box" will show instead of a gray block.

It is exciting to put together a quilt and there is a lot to learn. Someone suggested checking out quilting books from the library and that is a great and free resource.

Have a great time!

Hey Gothy, if you have a topper that\'s dark and a backer that\'s light, I\'ve heard that quilter\'s lay a black batt on the top and a white batt on the bottom (essentially two batts).

I\'m currently quilting a customer\'s quilt that is all batik in dark greens and purples so I picked a dark batt so I don\'t have any problems with annoying little white pokies.

I think that any natural fibre would be cooler in warmer weather. That\'s what I generally tell people, anyway. Warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. So I would go with cotton, wool, etc, rather than poly.

I also have people that prefer a poofier look, and light-weight, so I steer them towards poly. Me, I like the weight of the cottons.

I just started using bamboo/cotton this month. Love it! I think it\'s going to be a real hit! It also drapes beautifully, like wool.

I tell my customers there is no right or wrong...it\'s all a personal preference.

I live in Louisiana and I use Quilter\'s Dream Wool exclusively for my personal quilts. The drape is wonderful no matter the density. It is not heavy. Many of my customers have switched to wool also. You can get a sampler pack from Quilter\'s Dream. Then you can quilt on the samples and see the differences in the batting.

Sandra

Archived