advice for a newbie

Hello,

I?m a lady in Spain who?s been looking forward to purchase a long arm machine for almost 2 years. The reason why I haven?t is because is too expensive. Could anyone tell whether APQS sells used machines?

On the other hand, I?ve been looking at the new offer of the freedom model with stitch regulator for 16200 dollars and I think is too expensive given the fact that a millenium is only 700 dollars more expensive and it has more features.

Best wishes,

Cris

Cris, APQS does have used machines moving through. You'll just need to call them to find out what's available at the moment. Also, you'll need to have your financing in place, because these used machines go very quickly. Learned that the hard way!

Also, there are a few websites that you can monitor for used machines, or place an inquiry. Some that come to mind are:

http://www.houseofhanson.com/formerlyowned.html

http://www.longarmchat.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=10

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Machines4%20Sale.htm

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=31

I placed an inquiry several months ago, and because of that post, I received many emails from folks who were wanting to sell theirs but hadn't posted. Consequently, I'm in the process of taking possession of a "used" machine (that's never actually been used at all, but I'm not paying full price for as in "new"). :D

Just monitor the above referenced sites, plus, maybe post an ad in the appropriate place describing the machine you're looking for. Be patient & the "right" machine will come along.

Have fun!;)

Pat

AZ:cool:

Thank you very much for all your kind advice.

I have another doubt. Can I buy a machine directly from Apqs, Gammill or Nolting or do I have to go through a distributor, in case I decide to go for a new instead of a new one?

I?m saying that because if I decide to import the machine myself I won?t have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax in the European Comunity).

Cris

Hi Cris,

We do sell used machines. However, I'm not sure what your

electricity is over there and it may have to be wired different... Then it would not be worth getting a used, as it would cost more to have us gut the wiring and start over! Plus you might as well get the 3yr. warranty if you can!!!

Our machines are wired for 110volts, so yours may be different!

You can buy directly from APQS!

Good Luck !

Hi Chris!

In Spain and all over Europe you have to think about purchasing a Longarm machine with european standards!

This means 220 Volt and CE proofed, otherwise you have to use a transformer!

In Europe APQS started selling their machines with european standards this year, so no used machines are available at the moment!

For alle questions we would like to help you! Call Philippe Menudier in Nice/France or me in Germany!

We would like to welcome you in the "european part" of the APQS family;)

Have a nice day...

Claudia Pfeil/Germany

Dear Claudia and Connie,

Thank you very much for your kind advice. I know we use different voltage and that is why long arm companies offer a transformer paid apart.

I think that I don?t need EEC standards because I believe that if a machine works well for an American, why not for me.

On the other hand, I don?t want to pay VAT and if I do buy the machine from a European dealer I will have to pay and I think it?s quite unfair because it?s not made in Europe.

Cris

Hi Chris...

I?m absolutely!!!:D non-educated in tax affairs, but I know for sure that I had to pay the VAT for my machine coming out of the states! Maybe you should ask someone who is well informed about this theme!

In Europe there are 3 represantives ( Philippe, Janne in Norway and me) - no distributors - only reps:D:cool:

So - we will be happy to help you in any form you need!

It doesn?t matter wether you order a machine in US directly or in Europe!

But out of my own experiences: Don?t take a machine with a transformer - I believe that the machines without the transformer are running more softly!

Maybe Connie or Mark could explain it better:cool:;)

Best wishes to Spain...

Claudia

Hola Cris,

For all goods you are importing into the EEC from a non-EEC country you have to pay import VAT and on top of that customs.

As far as I know all EEC countries handle it this way.

You may get a refund for any VAT paid when buying as a company owner.

To find out about all the odds and ends and about what would work best for you, you might want to ask your tax consultant.

Best,

Birgit in Germany

Dear Birgit,

I?ve already done it. If I buy a machine directly from APQS, I will have to do everything on my own, including transport. When the machine arrives inSpain, I will have to pay the customs, which, in the case of Spain is 4,7 % if is an industrial machine (9,7 if it?s a domestic one). No VAT if I import directly.

Cris

Hi Cris,

Well, so much for a unified Europe...

When I ordered my machine through Claudia, APQS shipped it in a way that it was delivered right into my house. Sure, I had to pay for shipping, import tax and customs - but that would have been the same had I bought it differently (most probably shipping would have been a lot more expensive then)...

I'll keep my figners crossed that you will find that perfect machine and the most favorable buying/shipping circumstances. Keep us posted.

Best, Birgit

Dear Birgit and Claudia,

Please accept my apologies. I?ve double checked this morning about the VAT issue and you are right, I will have to pay VAT whether I buy the machine directly from APQS or from you.

On the other hand, I?ve been talking to long arm owners in Europe that use them with transformers and are happy with them.

Having said this, I wish I could afford a new long arm at the moment but I simply can?t. At least for at least 6 or 12 months.

I believe this is the time to buy a long arm machine in Spain. There are more than 100 long arms owners in Spain but only 4 of them use them for patchork. The rest of them are companies that produce curtains, bedspreads, etc. I can say that probably ALL of them are Gammill since they are the only long arm company with a dealer in Spain.

I would rather buy an APQS. I?ve gone to 2 quilting shows in Europe last year and I?ve already tested a Gammill Classic, a Nolting 24 and a Millenium and I prefer the last one.

I know that if I wait a year to buy the machine the other long armers that quilt for patchwork in Spain will have much more advantage. That?s why I desperately want a used one.

Thank you for your kind advice,

Cris

Yes, Chris - you are absolutely right!:-) NOW it?s the time to start with longarm-quilting ! I felt the same in Germany!

And now I?m really busy and full booked the next three months with custom-quilting:cool::D

If I know something about a used and checked Millennium at the APQS head office I will let you know. You?ll save some money and you will get one year warranty!

Don?t hesitate to ask or write ....

Have a great day...

Claudia

:):) Dear Claudia,

Thank you very much for your kind advice again. I?m interested in both the millenium and the liberty. I?d like a stitch regulated machine. I could afford a discovery or a freedom but I prefer a stitch regulated.

By the way, do you ever come to Spain on holiday? I live in the south, in Seville, 2 hours drive from the "Costa del Sol".

Best wishes,

Cris

Archived