Antique Look on a New Quilt

I want to get an antique or shabby look to a quilt I just made. I made a quilt from 39 Moda "Dandelion Girl" fabrics because they were very much the look of an old quilt pattern I found. After I pieced and quilted it, I was disappointed that it had a "new & bright" look. I used cotton batting and washed it after it was quilted which helped, but it still wasn\'t the look I wanted.

I thought of Tea Dying it, but after searching tea dying on the internet and finding warnings that tea may be too acid based, I had second thoughts about using tea.

I found Dylon has Tea Dye for an antique effect and would like to know if anyone has used it or may have another suggestion to achieve the antique look I want. I have tea dyed (using tea) fabric only for small projects, but I have never tried to tea dye a finished quilt.

You can wash and dry it several more times and gradually it will get really antique-y looking.

I have a king sized quilt I made back in 2003 with cotton batting and it is very much used and loved and has been washed many-a-time and now it\'s really scrunchy and old looking (and so buttery soft!) :)

I tea-dyed a quilt once. It was a scrappy bullseye quilt and some of my backgrounds read too light. I just wanted to soften the scrappiness and unify the color a bit. I boiled some water, put in 2 teabags and let it steep until the heat was gone and dumped it into a large basin with other warm water and put the quilt in and let it soak for a few hours. It came out great.

PS

I\'m talking about the leftover grinds. After you\'ve drunk your coffee add some more hot water to make up a nice dark brew and don\'t forget to strain. It is really yuck with the grinds all caught up in the folds of your fabric!

I\'m with Shana, a love that buttery softness from worn fabric.

Judy

Archived