Where have all the Lenni's gone

I love reading all the new posts, but the Lenni forum has been sooooo quite this week. I have almost decided to get a Lenni and have been reading about what everyone is doing,. Is everyone happy with their Lenni and what extra goodies did you all buy for it. Happy quilting Maree.

Hi Maree

Have a look at RitaR\'s posts where she\'s posted pics of a lone star quilt she\'s done on her Lenni Penny. It looks like she\'s having fun.

I\'m almost finished my first quilt - promised I\'d post some pics. Some of the quilting is a bit average, pride got to me and I\'m doing a bit of frogging at the moment.

Judy

Hi Judy, How long have you had your Lenni, I am off to Hobart at the end of the month for the craft fair and will look at a Lenni then to make sure I can fit it into my room. It will be very cosy but hopefully go. I am free quilting at the moment doing a form of McTavishing and it is so heavy I can\'t wait to be able to put it onto a frame. Happy quilting Maree.

Hi Maree. I think you\'ll be impressed when you see the Lenni. It\'s very lightweight, nice stitch tension, with plenty of room to quilt. As I recall it was slightly more expensive than the comparable models from the other manufacturers.

I\'d never seen an APQS machine before ordering mine this year! I did however have a very basic shortarm from another well known manufacturer. I\'d had 5 years of fun with it and basically couldn\'t go any further.

I had very clear expectations on what I wanted in my new machine and they have definitely been met. There is a learning curve and depending on your expectations, it might take a while to become really relaxed with it. I know there are still techniques that I\'m struggling with.

You\'ll read all sorts of opinions on this forum and can browse back through old posts to see comments on the Lenni and its table. Sometimes you\'ll see negative comments, and I consider these essential to a forum such as this. To me, it means that it is not just another advertising/selling machine, where everything is rosy.

If you\'re not happy, you\'ll get feedback from APQS which is positive and meant to help resolve your problems.

You\'ll love quilting on a frame. My McTavishing is very ordinary and that\'s one area where I need lots of practice. You\'ll find the stitch regulator brilliant for backtracking when you need to change direction in your McT\'g.

I hope you\'re happy with whatever machine you choose.

Judy

I\'m right here in North Carolina.. love my Penny, wish she had the ergonomic handles and the fabric advance.. two things to help those with physical problems.

Otherwise, other than bobbin casing tension disks, I love the machine, as long as Himself keeps his paws out of her workings.

RitaR

Hi Judy

I just saw you mentioned that you have removed your no 2 roller on your Lenni, I haven\'t thought to do that, sounds like a good idea if you float your tops. Lenni has a great brake set up that means each roller is tightened individually so removing one roller doesn\'t affect the others.

Looking forward to seeing you this week.

Sue in australia

I have a Lenni and just love it. I got a circle lord a couple of months ago and it\'s been lots of fun and very useful. Having to adjust top and bottom tension for different threads was scary at first, since my old dm almost never needed adjusting, but I\'m getting more comfortable with that. I feel like I\'ve learned so much from this forum. My hat is off to all the talented people who share so freely here. Thank you to all of you.

Hi, I read a couple of replies in this thread that mentioned bobbin tension,. Does the tension in Lenni need adjusting very much. I never adjust my bobbin in my machines only the top. I guess it will be something else I have to learn.

I have cleaned my room out to make sure it would fit. What a terrible job. Didn\'t know I had wo much material.

Maree

Hi Maree

Adjusting the bobbin tension is easy I\'ll show you how.

We\'ve been at the Sydney Quilt & Craft Fair, you should be here the quilts are awesome.

We\'ve had some Lenni owners come up and say Hi! They all are unanimous (sp! its late here) they just love their Lennis.

Ele ordered hers today and is all excited - she can\'t wait for Lenni to arrive and there is this great new product to help us with cross hatching more info coming.

OK got to go

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Thanks Maree,

We did have fun day today. Haven\'t had a chance to look at any of the quilts but come Sunday when its quiet, we hope to.

The cross hatch ruler we have was designed for the Milli but it works perfectly well on the Lenni without any alterations and so would work on any APQS machine. The great thing about Lenni is the huge quilting space.

Best wishes

sue in australia

My new baby is due to arrive in two days, Friday the 13th??? Her name will be Nellie, almost an anagram of Lenni, after my grandmother who bought me my first Singer Featherweight and first Bernina 830. That was about 30 years ago, and grandmother is long gone. (the machines are still runnning!) But. she would have loved everything about this quilting adventure. Have been anticipating this since ordering in March. Have a basket of tops ready to go, but how much practice does it take before I put a real quilt top in? I know it will be different for everyone, but would love to hear your experiences.

This one will have the fold up table, since the guest room is also the sewing room. Must save a space for the first grandson who is also due this month. But, Lenni - grandson-Lenni-grandson- ???

We may have lots of questions on Saturday morning. But, from reading your messages, it sounds pretty easy to set up. It will be the actual sewing that will be interesting. I have been using a Brother 1500 for the last 4 years. It works great, but so tired of pinning and pushing the quilt through the machine. This will be fun, fun, fun!

Must go finish the room prep.

Take care,

Nancy in Texas

I\'ve had my Lenni since February and it runs like a top! I never adjust the bobbin tension unless I switch thread weights and then sometimes it doesn\'t need it even then. Adjusting all from the top seems to work well. I have an old wooden table that the Lenni fit on perfectly, so I also took off the quilt roller bar and float my quilts and I love it, love it. I sit to do fine work and no reaching over a bar.

Lenni is all I need right now, the SR is a joy!

Good Luck

Sharon

I sure didn\'t answer many of your questions in my previous reply.

Sometimes I have to do more adjusting of the bobbin than at others. Just keep an eye on the blue thing in the bobbin csing and make sure it\'s not flattened out. That will cause all kinds of problems top and bottom threads.

I did buy a couple templates. the Tripple Play and I think it\'s called the Apple Core, by Lakeside Quilting.. I also bought the Topper which is similar in techniques to the Hartley Fence and the Circle Lord, except it works from the front of the machine.. to use it, you have to have the number 2 roller on, as it rests on it and the leveler roller.

I use several different threads on top, do not like bottom line and I don\'t like Lava, at all. I love Poly Quilter, Highlights and Rainbows. Use several others, too.

After having a beast of a machine before, Lenni is a treasure to use.. I still find it hard to do a panto if the desiggn is small. and I\'ve been using a long arm since 2003 or 2004.

I can freehand pretty small circles, just can\'t panto them.

I guess I really shouldn\'t say that as I\'ve not tried lately, and do have several.

I find her easy to clean, easy to replace the bobbin, easy to thread, and easy to run. Just wish the on/off switch were a little closer to the middle of the machine. At times if I have the needle down to keep my place, It is hard to reach from the front.

Just play a lot and try diff ways to hold the handles, one on the right, one on the left, both on handles, one on a handle one on the head, one on the rail, etc.. When freehanding, I often find myself with one hand on the handle, sometimes the right hand on the left, sometimes on the right handle, and the left hand on the hip or in my pocket.

Oh, I also have the hartley Extended Base, and the micro drive handles, also an Extra Big Base my Hubby makes which sets behind the HB.

Gotta run.

RitaR

I had a Brother 1500 with a Gracie frame before I got my Lenni. That Brother is a wonderful machine but you are going to love your Lenni. It will take you a little time and practice to do pantographs and smooth free motion but the SR works like a charm. I have never had to adjust my bobbin tension. It seems that the top tension adjustments are all I need and those are easy to do. Have a blast!

Archived