Loading top - top and bottom vs sides

Sharonsews

What I do to help with bagginess of fabric is this.......pin on the backing fabric to both rollers. Then I roll the fabric back and forth, sometimes 3-4 times, till the fabric evens it self out. It really does help. I have had to unpin the top roller after a few rolls back and forth when it shows you may have been off by a little when squaring up. I saw this on a Donita Reeves video. It is really simply on a Gammil. They did it with a hand crank. It takes a little longer with a Apqs because of the motor. Maybe someone can tells us how to by pass the motor? Hope this helps some. This technique works great for pieced backs that are all wierd!!

If at all possible I load the backing the seam runs horizontally instead of vertically. If there are many seams I still try to run the bulk of the seams horizontally. In most of the backings that I receive that are pieced, the customer joins the pieces selvage to selvedge. Because I think the finished quilt "lays" better, I will try and pin the backing selvages to the backing rollers whenever possible. I just loaded a quilt that because of the backing pattern and the top pattern, the seam had to run vertically. I too roll and re-roll at least 3 or 4 times, with a hand crank it takes just minutes. It is crucial that you have a straight line to pin to because if you don't, no matter how many times you roll there will still be puckers and unevenness in the backing:( - been there done that......

Hi everyone

I usually load the seam vertically. To reduce the bulk you could have the seam pressed open rather than to the side. I think traditionally seams were pressed to the side when quilts were hand quilted for durability. Our machine stitching gives quilts durability nowadays.

Other times I roll the backing onto the rollers with the seam pressed to the side and as I roll I smooth the seam out with my thumb and fingers and then run my hands along the backing out from the centre on both sides of the seam to keep it even. It takes very little time and there is no need to roll and re-roll.

Hope that helps

Sue in Australia

Archived