Can't get the right tension

I just bought a used Millie. I have been playing with it and adjusting the tension. But, when I stitch with the stitch regulator on, at about 11 stitches per inch I get the bobbin thread pulling though the top. But when I back off to 10 stitches per inch, no bobbin thread.???????

And it seems like no matter what I try I always get the top thread poking out the back. Is this normal?

And my machine seems to stitch better when I go from the right to the left, when standing in the front. Why would this make a difference?

I have cleaned and oiled bobbin area, and changed to a new needle.

Any advice would be great.

I adjust my tension by feel. It\'s called the "drop method". It sounds like your bobbin tension is too loose or your top tension is too tight. I start with the bobbin, put in the thread, hold the thread with my left had and let the bobbin case with the bobbin drop. I keep mine loose enough so the bobbin case slides (kinda crawls)down the thread and slows down and stops in my other hand which is about 6 inches below the bobbin. I test the stitch along the 1.4 inch margin of the sandwich. Usually, it\'s just a top adjustment for the thread type and I tighten or loosen until I can\'t see pokies on either side. I\'ve used white on the top and black on the bottom without being able to see pokies on either side.

Also remember, quilts are under a fair amount of tension from the rollers. Often when you remove the quilt from the rollers, the pokies just go away! Someone said something about the dryer and a tennis ball! That sounds like it would work too!:P:P

There is a Towa guide for setting bobbin tension. I don\'t have it but would love to get it. They\'re about $70 and from what I understand, everyone just loves them. You may want to do a search and read about them on this forum. Lots of good info.

As for tension changing between the stitches per inch, I have never experienced that. Try re-adjusting the tensions and if it persists, I would call APQS.

By this time you probably have your problem solved. It does sound like your bobbin tension is too tight and pulling your top thread down...maybe your top thread is a little loose too :o I love my Towa gage. One of my best investments. If you don\'t have one you can try the drop test. I can\'t seem to get that one right and fling my bobbin out and it rolls across the floor and it makes me want to cuss....but I refrain :D I use both types of bobbins and don\'t have a problem with either. Also, keep in mind, since you said that you are new to this machine....there is a getting acquainted period. You will find that in time you find just the right place to have your tension, or you will be able to find it easily, just don\'t give up.

AAAHHHH!!!:mad:

I have been playing with the tension for about 2 plus hours now. I get a little improvement, and then it all seems to look the same again after awhile. I have tried all of your suggestions. Thanks by the way!

I\'m lucky just playing on practice fabric, so I\'m not ruining anything. I just took it off of the rollers, hoping things would pop into place, nothing:( So I have it piled up on the floor and I\'m sitting on it, comfy but not pretty:D.

I guess I\'m going to wait until Thursday, when I\'m off of work and call tech support. And buy more practice fabric. I\'m also wondering if it all has to do with the cheap batting from Walmart I\'m using. A great bargin to practice on, but could it be the cause of all my headaches????:o

Thanks again, I\'ll keep everyone posted.

Sara

You know when I first got my machine I tried using serger thread and had lots of trouble with the tension. As soon as I started using Superior thread my tension problems were pretty much solved. That said - almost every time I have tension trouble now it\'s because my top thread has slipped out of the tension wheel. Good luck. I know you\'ll love your machine once you get to know it better.

Hi Sara,

Here are a couple of things you can do to help the tension.

First, make sure you are using a 4.0 needle in the machine. New Millies are "timed" to a 4.0 to reduce the impact a flexing needle has on the stitch quality. The thicker/stronger the needle, the less it flexes away from the hook as you move the machine 360 degrees over your quilt.

Second, since your machine is used, you may want to review the timing. It\'s not hard--just a little time consuming to get a feel for where the needle and hook should be. Let Amy know at the factory (800) 426-7233 if you need instructions emailed about how to do this.

Next, take a look at how tight you had the fabric. If it is too taut, the needle will flex even more. Also, a tight quilt sandwich reduces the "air space" the batting creates, making it difficult for your Millie to pull the bobbin thread between the layers before the needle must take the next stitch. Earlier posts have described the correct fabric tension this way:

The throat of the machine should look like a mole crawling under surface of the ground.

I\'m surprised that the machine is stitching better for you from right to left on the "freehand" side of the machine; normally the opposite is true because of the hook and needle timing once again. Check to make sure your new needle is inserted straight.

Finally, you should be able to influence the bobbin thread enough (by either loosening the bobbin case tension or tightening the top tension) to actually pull the bobbin thread to the top of the quilt sandwich. It\'s often easier to overcompensate this way, and then slightly loosen the top tension until the dots recede into the quilt layers.

Be sure that you aren\'t being fooled by the large hole left behind by the needle. Sometimes a quilter will look at the back of the quilt and see the top thread color peeking out at her, when in reality it\'s still "in between" the quilt layers. It\'s just that the hole left behind is large, so you see the thread inside the hole.

To tell if the tension really is imbalanced, run your fingernail along the line of stitching. If your fingernail catches on the top thread loops (like running your fingernail along the spine of a spiral notebook), then the bobbin thread is winning the tug of war. Take some power from it and give more power to the top.

Let us know how things go when you get more time to play on Thursday!

Hi,

Just thought I\'d update everyone. I talked to the factory on Friday and I ended up ordering all new tension parts. That way I can just work my way through and play in between, and when things are stitching better, the rest of the new parts are extras. Or if I have to use all the new parts, then fine at least I will have them on hand and won\'t have to wait for another shipment.

I think they should be here today!

I, too, am having a thread breaking *#!**&%) time of it with my current quilt. I\'ve done most everything mentioned and now I think I\'ve got it. Ha! maybe. The backing on this quilt has like a stiff painted paisley on the outside. I think it could be stiff enough to shred the thread. I tried to talk them into a different backing, next time I\'ll tell them "ok, but I won\'t be quilting it."

My question is; have any of you had trouble with that kind of fabric? Or should I just pull my hair out now?

It\'s really been nice having you all to learn from. Everyone is so helpful and smart.

Thanks, Evelyn

Sara. The only thing I would add is.... Change to a better batting, yes, even for practice. The quality of the thread and the batting can make a BIG difference in how the machine stitches. It is not worth the frustration to fight with cheap materials even for practice.

Evelyn,

You asked about the impact that "painted" fabric will have on your tension. In my mind I am picturing the "white on white" fabric and other similar products that have a plastic-type design printed on to the fabric.

You are right in that your tension will definitely be affected, and thread breakage is a common problem. The little dots of "paint" on those fabrics don\'t allow the needle to penetrate through the fabric. They increase the resistance, and the thread shreds and breaks.

Don\'t be afraid to suggest a different fabric next time, just as you thought.

Hi Evelyn,

I feel your pain on the painted fabric, the only way I can save my sanity is to forge on with spraying the backing fabric

with Sullivans silcone spray.

:)

Use this spray to lubricate threads and tame those nasty batiks. Spray your thread, spray your quilt top. Non staining on your quilts! Perfectly safe for fabrics, I have been using it for years with great results!:)

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/browse_dept_items.asp?Store_id=611&page_id=17&Categ_Id=4

Hi all,

MY thread has been breaking when I first pick-up my bobbin thread to set my stitch to start quilting.

I also had to adjust my tension when I changed batting on my 2nd quilt. First was a baby quilt that was 100% poly batting and it did beautifully, but now I have a 80/20 cotton batting in this one. Do I have to change tension with a change of batting every time? Hope I have explained well enough.

I too have learned soooo much from you all. You are better than any instructional book.

Thanks for any help.

Well, I think with these machines --- because we have a variety of bobbin threads, variety of top threads, variety of battings, variety of fabrics, etc........ we should always be cognizant of checking and (if necessary) adjusting the top (and perhaps bobbin) tension all the time. I think it has to be a regular habit from the start of the quilt, through the middle of the quilt, to the end of the quilt. I\'ve gotten in the habit of "listening" to my machine and the noise it\'s making. I know when it\'s making happy noises and when it\'s making some funny noises (usually bobbin is getting low or tension needs a minor tweak on top or bobbin).

I compare my longarm to a two-year-old or a toddler: I love those cute little toddlers but I don\'t trust them! I\'ve got to keep my eagle eye on them all the time or they might get into mischief. ;)

I believe that 99% of our thread breaking problems is caused by too tight of tension (top as well as bottom). So, this is what I do with my machine and it works great: I don\'t have a Towa gauge, so I use the "spider drop" test for my bobbins. I started loosening my bobbin tension and I find it has done wonders with absolutlely no thread breaking on top! Loosen the bobbin screw just enough so the bobbin drops slowly but smoothly (like a spider). That\'s perfect setting. After your bobbin tension is set, the only thing you should now mess with is your top tension. Start out with a set point and tighten until you start to see the bobbin threads barely peeking up through the hole the needle makes. Then, loosen your top tension a wee bit. That should be a good setting for tension on top, but I usually run a few test stitches around to make some minor top tension tweaks so the thread lays nice and forms a pretty bump on top of the fabric. Keep in mind that as your bobbin thread gets low, your bobbin gets lighter (right?), so if you pull it out half way and do the drop test, it might need to be loosened a little bit more.

Ever since I started loosening my bobbin tension (spider drop test) I haven\'t had any problems with top thread breaking. I use all sorts of threads and mix and match. I use Bottom line or So Fine in the bobbin and in the top I use all sorts of threads: metallics or So Fine or Signature, Rainbows, Robinson Anton cotton, King Tut, etc... no breaking! :)

You just have to keep playing and tweaking. Oh and make sure your bobbin area is cleaned and oiled frequently, and change your needle frequently, too. That helps a lot. Good luck.

No problem at all Evelyn, yes please do, anyone call me any time :D

Not much I haven’t encountered that we can’t tackle together! :)

Along with the great advice that Dawn & Shana gave about tension the spray is the last resort. I am a firm believer that we can quilt anything on these machines, it\'s just knowing the little quirks & tips that can make or break your quilting day!;)

Archived