Cords Dragging in back-Sheila?

sewingjunky

I spoke with a gal at the NW meeting of MMQG and she was telling me about how some gals have done something to the back of the table to make the cords not drag on the floor when you are freehanding.

I did a search but couldn\'t find anything other than zip tieing the cords half way down the table. When Chris installed my machine he did this already. What I need is something to pick up the rest and allow it to glide around.

Someone suggested the overhead mount, but from the web page photos, I can\'t really tell what that is either?

Thanks

Brendalee

Hi Brendalee

I\'ve zipped tied my CQ leads to the table up to the middle and all the leads (not the Milli lead) I have used the cable zipper (plastic that wraps around smoothly - not the corrugated type) from where the CQ leads come out of the machine and down into the black box at the back of the carriage. I find having half the leads tied to the table makes a huge difference on the feel of the machine

I guess you have a straight cord on your Milli not the old heavier curly cord.

Sue in Australia

I\'m also interested in the overhead mount system. As a temporary measure I\'ve placed my power cord high on the stairs which are next to my machine. Am waiting on DH to work out an overhead arrangement.

He installed a drop down power cord over my sewing table (the kind that you see in garages and factories) and it\'s great for stationary objects like your domestic. But for the longarm I need the cord on some sort of moveable track system.

Any ideas or pictures out there would be much appreciated.

Judy

There are some pretty elaborate systems to keep the cord up out of the way, but all appear to have drawbacks.

For Margie\'s machine I installed an overhead outlet in the ceiling, directly over the center of the table. I then mounted a length of small angle steel to the side of the head extending up about 18" above the top of the motor and attached the cord to it.

It works perfectly. The machine has full range of motion with virtually no restriction at all, the cord is held up and out of the way, and it\'s very simple (I know - a perfect match for my mind...)

I had originally imagined a complex device with a swinging arm, ball bearings, and a lot of welding and grinding, but Margie nixed that idea in the interest of being able to use the longarm sometime before 2010...

It is the U-1 curly cord which tends to keep itself out of the way to some degree so I don\'t know how this system would work on a straight cord.

I\'ll try to post a picture or two tomorrow if you\'d like to see it.

Brad

That looks really nice. I have the Milli with the straight cord and the CQ with the other cords. (name removed) sent me some photos from Tina Collins in regards tsomeone on the board, I am going to try that as it will carry the cq cords also.. I hope this comes thru. Otherwise the post was on 3-16-08 Re: hanging of cq cords. Subject: Remedy for hanging CQ cords TinaCollins Moderator -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posts: 386 Registered: 3/29/2005 Location: Jackson, MO Member Is Offline Mood: Have A Great Day!! posted on 3/6/2008 at 03:06 PM Remedy for hanging CQ cords With all of the talk lately about the hanging CQ cords, I wanted to show everyone what one of my favorite customers (and friend!) did with her CQ wires. Elly lives in the Netherlands and has a very successful quilting business. She wanted her CQ to look as streamlined and sleek as possible... so she fashioned her own cord hanging system. I took these pictures about a year and a half ago when I went to visit her because I wanted to reapply (steal LOL!) her remedy for my own CQ! The channels are actually curtain holders from Ikea that she mounted on the underside of her table and the cord wraps are from HP. I thought Elly\'s idea was spectacular!!! That Elly is pretty ingenious, isn\'t she? Tina Collins APQS Jackson, MO tina@apqs.com (573)576-3160

Archived