Variegated thread in bobbin

Has anyone ever used variegated thread in the bobbins before? Did it work out ok? What brand did you use?

I have a very bright quilt top in bold colors and pattern with a black background and am using a bleached muslin for the backing. Was thinking the back will look really plain if I used a neutral thread in the bobbin...what do you think?

Thanks~

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cheryl,

I just read your post about the King Tut in the bobbin. I tried that last night, with the same varigated in the top thread; and I ended up with a tangled mess. I kept adjusting the top tension, but whenever I got it loose enough that the top thread wouldn't break I had loops and tangles on the bottom. Did you also adjust your bottom tension when using the King Tut? Just curious. I really want to start using more of the decorative threads and not just plain old off white all the time. Thanks, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Ultimate 2 owner

I have often used YLI cotton variegated machine quilting thread in the bobbin without problems. I actually prefer to match top and bobbin threads. But I can stitch so much longer with prewound bobbins. I 'play' with both top and bottom tensions when I change threads.

Linda/9patch

I too have use YLI verigated in both top and bottom together and I've never had to adjust tension either way. However I find that YLI cotton thread is the only thread I use in my bobbin and this way the only tension I need to adjust is top tension when using different threads. I also purches extra bobbin baskets. I then put them in a little plastic container with a good lid and mark on the outside what thread I use in it.

Example: one cup is my YLI cotton bobbin

One cup is my superior bobbin

One cup is my metalic bobbin

This way once I've got good tension I don't go and mess things up. I've also heard about a bobbin gage with a funny name that evades me at the moment. But for me the cups and extra bobbin baskets were worth the time and money.

I used Rainbow variegated thread in bothe the top and bobbin thread, and it worked perfectly without having to adjust the tensions...I can't wait to use it again :D

Thanks for all of your replies to my question I was procrastinating on taking the plunge into the decorative thread in the bobbin..now I realize that there was no reason to try.

Hi Chickenscratch (sorry don't know your name)

If the thread you were using in your bobbin last time is a different weight (thickness) then you will have to adjust your bobbin tension and that goes with any type of thread ie. polyester, cotton, rayon.

this can be a nuisance so it might be a good idea to purchase another bobbin case and keep it tensioned for thicker threads.

sue in Australia

Archived