bonnet/umbrella girls - need ideas

I have gotten PPP in and quilted quilts for family on my longarm, but I just got my first official customer today! I am excited and a little freaked out. I do a full float. Those tiny scallops are going to be...um...fun.

The quilt is hand pieced and "close" to being square - a good pressing should help most of that. She gave me the top and just wants me to take care of the rest. All I know for sure to do is outline the girls 1/4 inch around. As you can see, not all of the girls are in the same place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am not a pro yet - cross hatching is out. The more freehand design the better. I just do not have the experience to imagine what would look good where and stay true to the era.

Thank so much for any advise =)

Amy

post--13461899839945_thumb.jpg

Amy...how is your McTavishing....that would look great behind the girls....and if that is out a simple meander/stipple. I would almost be tempted to just SID the black/white border, but then that might be a bit boring after some fancy work in the middle, and of course you need to keep the quilting equal. Maybe a freehand leafy thing in either the blacks or the whites or maybe mini feathers in each color, and some kind of design in the sashing.

I love this black fabric...I wish I could find more. I use to have a bolt of it, but used it all up.

The back of the quilt is muslin. Would it look bad to stitch the black area with the same cream color? The black does have a lot of floral print going on. I am afraid that if I quilt that area in black it will be a big HELLO on the back.

I was also thinking McTavishing would look great. I am going to do some practicing and see if I can get up the confidence to do it.

Amy

This reminds me of a sunbonnet sue that I did. I echoed all of the blocks, did a pumpkin seed in the little blocks and did figure 8\'s in the sashing. She loved it. It did look nice. How about 3 loops in the white border tiangles and a question mark (dbl) in the black. I would do black thread on the black border. I like to hide as much as possible. I think it would be fine on the back.

Amy,

I too would have to say McTavishing is what this quilt reads. I\'ve seen these done in Karen\'s books and it looked like the background had wind blowing around the girls. It looks awesome. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. That first REAL quilt sure does make your blood pressure raise, but jump in and you\'ll do fine.

Guest Linda S

I think McTavishing might be your best bet too. From the look of the pictures, it seems there is a lot of fullness in those blocks. McTing can really help to take up some of that fullness. Otherwise, you might end up with puckers there. It looks as though her sashing is just a tad too tight.

Linda

Archived