How do You Choose Your Quilting Designs?

CherylUribe

Hi all! I\'m writing an article for PLYB with the topic being choosing quilting designs for your quilt. I have my own ideas but was wondering if you would help me out and share some of yours too.

I like to take clues from the fabric or theme of the quilt.

What other ideas do you have?

I always challenge myself to try something new at least once a week...whether it be a design that I find in a book/quilt show/forum or my own.

also, if the quilt has a centered design (mariners compass, barn raising log cabin, lone star) it sometimes helps to fold the quilt into half each way so you are only looking at 1/4 of the quilt at a time

Taking pictures of the quilt also helps...one large photo and photos of sections

I take a picture of the quilt and put in on the computer and draw different designs I think will work then print it off. I look through my books to chose designs I like, I love Sue Pattens book and Darlene Epps books. I also look at webshots.

PamH

That is the absolute hardest thing about quilting for me. I try to pull something from the quilt into it. I search books for design ideas and draw out any I like on a picture of the quilt. I usually decide on a design, stitch it out on the quilt.....and then pick it all out and start over. The top border and first rows are always killers for me.

The one I\'m working on now has been extremely difficult. Half the blocks are very scrappy, without anything that is really striking that I can pull out. The others are all the same and were very easy. The scrappy ones had so many bulky seams that I wanted to try to avoid crossing them. I finally wound up doing a CC in them and a design to match the borders in the easier squares.

Not seeing much of you these days. Hope your doing well girl.

Wow this is a really good question and I\'m sure you will get lots of responses.

Kinda hard to discribe but when I look at a quilt I don\'t neccesarily see a design per say but I see texture. I love love texture.

With that being said. Sometimes there is a theme that goes with the quilt and it does carry us to a designs that fits that theme . As quilters for hire many times our customers have something specific they wish to see in the finished quilt so we usually try to accomondate that if we can of course.

I usually see just the opposite of the quilt. If it has lots of lines and squares,I see curves and turns. If it has alot of curves and turns I see feathers or movement. I cannot help it. I overquilt just about everything. It is one of my faults. I don\'t really like well spaced designs that much but I sure have done many and my customers did like them. Of course that is what matter most if your a quilter for hire.

I\'m sure we all have our own way of seeing things. I hope everyone pitches in their opinions of design. It is too fun.

Good luck. Your past articles have been really good so I\'m sure this one will be too.

Hugs Grammie Tammie

This is going to sound nutty but the quilt talks to me. I dont mean I hear voices but it just says what it needs. I tend to over quilt also. If it doesn\'t jump out I set it aside and ponder it everytime I pass. Sooner or later it will talk. It\'s probably the mom in me.

Good luck

Melora

The first thing I ask customers is how much do they want to spend, and I try to tailor the quilting level to their pocketbook. I tend to do more overalls than custom. I also try to think about adding texture to the quilt top. If there are large blank spaces, I will add a design, feathers or something like that, but on a busy top the quilting is lost. On some quilts it\'s pretty easy to visualize the quilting, and once I have made a decision I do not second guess myself. I never take out quilting unless there is a problem with tension.

I do not do quilting for show, except for myself.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Archived