leaders

Elly

Elly,

My advice would be to buy new leaders from APQS. They are fairly inexpensive. Leaders are easy to install, well worth the effort and cost. As always APQS is very helpful and will give instructions when you place your order. One of my friends just replaced hers on her Gammill Classic, with our leaders as she likes ours better. In fact I believe hers were about the sam age as yours.

I agree with Lynn about shrinkage. Though I guess you could try without much to lose!

let us know what you decide!

Cheryl

I used Pillow Ticking - used my half off coupon at JoAnn's, purchased a whole bolt - total cost around $13.00. I used the old leaders as template and while they were off I attached my zippers - easier than trying to sew them on the machine.:D Because I always do a partial float, my quilt take up roller was not distorted or dirty so I did not replace

What I like the best is, the stiffness of the pillow ticking and the design lines on the pillow ticking fabric. I can tell at a glance if the leaders have stretched in the middle. When I see this I zip the two take up rollers together, apply slight tension, mist heavily and let them dry overnight - in the morning - they are straight again....

• 7 months later...

I have a quilt on my milie and am 1/4 of the way through it and my top thread keeps breaking. I have cleaned the machine, played with the tension though it was fine for the first part and I have put in a new needle. Nothing isa working. I need to get it finished before the long weekend in May. Please help. Elly

One thing you can try is a bigger needle. If you are using a 14, goto 16--or if you are using a 16, goto an 18. Another thing is that sometimes the tension looks fine, but is too tight. Start with the top tension and loosen that--then if you need to goto the bottom and fiddle with that, do so. Sometimes it looks fine, but if you are getting more familiar with your pattern, or whatever design you are doing, and start getting faster speed, then too tight tension becomes a problem. You could try slowing down just a little, too. Oh, one more thing--pull your thread out and rethread it--if none of that helps--wind another bobbin--sometimes a different bobbin helps. I know how frustrating that can be! Good luck! Let us know if you figure out the problem!

Archived