Irish Chain Quilt

I have a customer who just gave me a Irish Chain Quilt (Blue, white, yellow) and she asked me about doing a irish chain quilt pattern for longarming. Is there such a thing?

As you can tell I haven\'t been in business too long, lol.

If there is no such pattern, what would someone suggest?

The backing is white so I will use white thread. Thank god there isn\'t too much blue in the pattern. I really prefer to free motion and not use a panto but I will use a panto if I need to.

Thanks

I would ask her if she has any pictures of what she means. I know that traditionally a lot of people have done straight diagonals through the chains but I think it looks kind of boring. not crosshatching...but crosshatching looks really nice and so does CC. Here are some that I did...both continuous. One is with a stencil called Tylers star (I added in the ferns to fill in the block) from the stencil company and the other is a Hari Walner stencil called casablanca. I have also seen people put feathers in there and celtic designs (which can be very hard but http://www.quiltingcreations.com/index.php?cPath=22 might have some)

Irish Chain

Irish Chain

Hi dorrlady,

You didn\'t say if it was a single, double or triple Irish chain. You may want to go to www.webshots.com and do a search on: quilt irish chain and you will get page after pages of photos that may give you the inspiration for your quilt. I found this one and it is fabulous. It is from Quilted Blessings.

Webshots photo of Irish Chain quilt

Very pretty Jessica. I don\'t think she wants anything very fancy!

Thank you Jessica and Linda.

I will go to that website Linda. That is a good suggestion. It is a single Irish Chain. The worst part is there are not borders!!! Means I have to be super careful not to pull to taunt so the edges don\'t ripple or tear apart the stitching. YUK!!! I do hate that. We have enough stress worrying about the stitching.

Guest Linda S

Like Jessica, I usually do a motif in the open space (usually a feathered wreath or some stencil) and then either CC or Terry Twist the chains. I do like that Chantilly Lace though -- very nice Darlene!

Linda

Thanks for the wonderful advice. Jessica, that is exactly how I was thinking about doing the cc. I\'ve never done it before but I remember seeing an article about it and that was how it was done.

I did talk to my client and the quilt is for a girl for graduation and we did decide to do a heart feather wreath in the big blanks and then the cc on the other blocks.

I told her that it will not be my charge for simple stipples or panto!

I will try to post photos when I finish.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. That is why I love this sight.

Kathy

• 1 month later...

CC or Terry Twist? Where do I go to learn what these shortcuts mean?

Originally posted by Linda S

Like Jessica, I usually do a motif in the open space (usually a feathered wreath or some stencil) and then either CC or Terry Twist the chains. I do like that Chantilly Lace though -- very nice Darlene!

Linda

Archived