re-quilting a quilt

BethDurand

Okay all you brilliant folk, I\'ve got a question for you. The second quilt that I ever made (many, many years ago) was a King sized, Quilt in a Day, Lone Star. What a fool I was! However, it\'s the quilt that mom wanted, and I made it for them while dad was still alive. Now that I know what I\'m doing, I offered to make her another quilt from scratch, but she wants this one as it reminds her of dad.

How should I do this? It\'s got thick poly batt in it, and seems to have been stitched in the ditch with some attempt at a design in the larger background areas. My first thought is to take the whole thing apart, toss the batt and put in some warm and natural, or even wool. Is this too much to even comprehend?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Beth

Beth,

Not the brilliant one here but I would take it apart and start from scratch. It will take some pressing to get it to lay right but I think in the long run it will be less work than trying to deal with what is already there. I\'d frog it from the backside so that you don\'t run the risk of cutting into the top.

Me too I\'ve taken several apart and re-quilted them with new battings and backings. Its time consuming that\'s for sure, but its well worth the work. And for family we don\'t always care how much work it is going to be.;)

Wowsa....I cannot imagine taking one apart. I guess if there was not much quilting on the quilt the first time. I have one that my mom made, embroidered blocks. She had it partially together, but was recovering from a stroke and didn\'t think she would ever be able to do things like this again (she is doing much better now) so I took it and finished it. Then I started quilting. I was so new at quilting and it was taking me forever. Some customer quilts came in so I took it off the machine...then the next 2 times I went to visit....she would give me more blocks that she had found. Now I need to rip out what I have done and redo the top and then start again.

You all have inspired me....thanks!!

I made a quilt for my daughter in 1980 and requilted it for my granddaughter in 2006. My batting was beginning to shift inside the quilt. Luckily, though the taking apart was not as difficult as I had thought because only the 12" squares were quilted with my home machine.

I requilted it on the longarm (a rented Gammil at that time), with new batting, and new backing. I quilted it differently too to reinforce the seams. In the 70\'s it was calico, calico, calico. All that I could find to match the shades were batiks for the borders. The backing I found was perfect for my granddaughters love of butterflies. The colors were great in her room too.

Here\'s a pic of the quilt that I made from Better Homes and Garden magazine over 30 years ago.

post--13461899847755_thumb.jpg

Okay, that\'s what we\'ll do. I had a brief, pre-coffee thought of just loading it and adding quilting, but I think that you are absolutely right. I\'d never be happy with it if I did that.

Gosh I\'m glad summer is about to arrive so that I can have a king sized quilt on my lap to frog each night!

Beth

Originally posted by nora123

I agree take it apart. I have done it and the results were worth it. I don\'t work from the front or back I kinda pull it apart at one corner and use my rotary cutter and peel it open.

Beth for a big quilt this is the way I also do it....I call it "Quilt Skinning", because it reminded me of skinning a deer ( I know that drew an yeeeeeew for some)....and it really does go fast.....where you have no plans to keep either the batting or the backing, I suggest you do it this way. Most of the little threads stay in the batting and the backing....and those that don\'t come off easily with a sticky roller.

I leave it on the rollers so that they keep the tension for me, and it goes fairly fast....a king size quilt can be "skinned" in about 4 hours, where on your lap it will take days.

Archived