Is anyone organizing quilts for the victims of the floods in Iowa. After Katrina we were sent hundreds of quilts to distribute to the victims in New Orleans and other areas affected by the hurricane.

We have quilts we can send and we can also have some work days to make quilts. We worked for 13 days after Katrina making quilts b/c there was nothing else to do. We had very little business b/c so many people had relatives in their homes. Feeding, clothing and looking for housing were major priorities. Many of our customers were w/o power so would come to the shop to sew.

Please let us know if you can accept quilts and distribute them to victimized families.

Thanks,

Sandra

There are so many people in Cedar Rapids that have lost their homes, and I\'m sure in Des Moines. I know the downtown of Des Moines has been flooded. Then there are towns north of Cedar Rapids that are flooded too.

Jim, Altoona is like a subburb of Des Moines. I don\'t think they are flooded, but I don\'t understand why not! When we drove through there just over a week ago the rivers and streams where out of their banks then, it has only gotten worse since then.

What about 4 blankets for the mom\'s who lost their kids during that tornado?

Since they can\'t hold their children, maybe holding a blanket for comfort would be another suggestion. I\'ve thought of that, but I dont think I can master up 4 blankets FAST. Anyone out there want to join in w/me in getting 4 done? I\'d be happy to try and contact someone to find out about the families. E-mail me.

vintagestitchesquilt@neb.rr.com

or: jsbutler@neb.rr.com

I sure can\'t find internet flood/disaster info in the news.. just same stuff when it just started...

HeidiK did give a cell phone number if anyone needed help.. I\'ve not seen any posts from factory or nearby dealers since.

Still praying..

RitaR

Hello Everyone,

Your thoughts and prayers for all the Iowa flood victims are surely welcomed! Here\'s a brief synopsis of the flooding status today.

We are doing fine at the APQS Des Moines Office. It is far enough away from the rivers but does have Cedar Creek nearby, which did flood as well. No damage here. In Carroll, phone service and electricity were affected by the storms, but things are better there, too.

The worst of the Iowa flooding occurred (and is still occurring) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and parts of Des Moines near the rivers. Unfortunately, 25,000 people are still dislocated in Cedar Rapids; many of them will lose their homes. As of yesterday, 11 buildings on the University of Iowa campus are taking in water. In all, 83 of 99 counties in Iowa have been declared disaster areas by the governor.

To make things worse, as the flood waters recede here, they simply don\'t just vanish...the trouble is moving downstream to small towns in SE Iowa being flooded as the water heads toward the Mississippi. Then the mighty Mississippi is expected to create major flooding all the way to the gulf.

So, keep all those people whose lives have literally been washed away in your prayers, as well as the hundreds of selfless volunteers who have been sandbagging nonstop since day One.

Bring on the sunshine (but wear your sunscreen---ask me how I know that\'s important! :))

Teresa, and anyone else:

Here is the rundown on those 4 boys:

13 yr old Josh Fennen - loved trains, scouts, sang in school choir.

14 yr old Ben Petrzilka - loved camping, hunting, fishing.

13 yr old SamThomsen - loved outdoors, baseball, basketball, husker football.

14 yr old Aaron Eilerts - sang, played the flute, ran track, played football, cooked, sewed, and loved Elvis Presley.

I will try and quilt up a theme that portrayed their son\'s likings on each of the quilt tops I receive.

Im really in no hurry to receive them. And, to be honest, the families need their grieving time before something like this is presented to them.

I recall the aftermath of the flooding of the Mississippi more than 10 yrs. ago. Our exterminator (lived in Ohio then) went to help. He said the aftermath is almost worse than the flood...People had snakes in their homes, in their walls, etc. The wallboard had to be taken off, so you ended up w/homes taken back to stud stage. Any landscape, plants, even trees, were either under mud or washed away. Layers and piles of mud get trapped in and around the homes, furniture was ruined. The smell of the water/mud was a constant reminder, and tough to get rid of. And this is the summer, where its hot and humid there, with the potential of having "ponds" of water for mosquito breeding. Contractors were expensive and hard to come by.

I don\'t know what the water\'s like there, but if its void of mud, that\'s a good thing.

So I think this type of disaster is one that you\'re living in after the fact.

Marlene in Tahoe

Thanks for the update Dawn, knowing what it\'s like just has me ppp, (praying, praying, praying), for everyone effected by this! Safety is going to be an issue for a long while yet as Marlene has said. Please tell everyone to stay safe and take care of themselves for us! We don\'t want to lose anyone at all!

EEEEEewww Sandra. Excellent Idea, however, I dont know if I can get 4 quilts pieced AND quilted in time. I have 2 donation quilts coming from someone who e-mailed me. She had 2 UFO\'s she finished up and will be sending them. I have no idea what the pattern/fabric is.

Maybe I could use the boyscout fabric for the backing......Hummm... ideas????

Our charity guild, Wasted Women Bee, has a bunch of tops ready to quilt. I can look through those and see if any are appropriate. We provide a quilt for every child that goes into foster care in about a 10 parish area in Louisiana.

I can ask some of the longarmers in the area to help if you need them to.

I am working on a big project or I would help. My cousin\'s son (Justin Mixon, age 22) was killed in Iraq on June 1st. I am trying to get a quilt done for my cousin (his mom) and his wife. He had an 11 month old son and I want to do something for him too. I think I will do a picture quilt for his mom to give him later so that one can wait.

If you need me to I can call my Kaufman rep or I can call the company.

Sandra

Archived