How to flip pattern in huge blocks using CQ

lpotter

I\'m working on a quilt with very large blocks set on point. Because I can\'t get the entire block in the quilting area, I\'m trying to use a triangle shaped pattern (Karen McTavish\'s bow pattern) where I stitch it in the top half of the block and then flip and stitch the mirror image in the bottom half of the block. Sounds good in theory, but I can\'t seem to figure out how to mirror image it so the center comes together at the same point. I\'m using the border feature and is that where I\'m going wrong? When I flip the pattern, I have to reenter the border points. I hope this makes sense to someone! I thought I had this all figured out, but it\'s not working the way I imagined it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Are you using a border, or are you using boundaries? I used a Karen McTavish triangle to fill a very large on point square. I just flipped it top to bottom instead of mirror imaging it, then reversed the start point so that I could put the needle in the exact same start as the first triangle. It stitched out perfectly to fill the entire square. If you are using boundaries, yes, you would have to enter in the second triangle. Since my square was very square, I set my boundaries for the first half of the design. Since I used the exact same start point when flipped, I did not do the boundaries as you would have to tweak it to make sure the center was exactly the same. Does this make any sense? I have done this many times with no problem.

Nancyh

Hey Lisa,

Let me know how the design stitches out today, I am willing to bet the X just needed to be flipped on this particular design & it will look awesome! ;)

Hi Nancy,

Linda and I spoke last night and after "noodling" it with her, I think I know what I was missing. I only flipped the Y but I bet I have to flip both the X AND Y to make it work. I am using boundaries and I\'m going to give it a try this afternoon. It makes sense to reverse the start point so I start from the same exact point once the pattern is flipped. Your explanation made perfect sense, so I\'ll let you know how it goes. Thanks Nancy and Linda for your help.

Lisa

Archived