Bamboo batting source in US??

I am making a quilt start to finish for a gal--and the recipient is very environmentaly conscious--so I would like to use bamboo batting--where does anyone get theirs--I don\'t really want a roll--just a package or two.

I guess I don\'t even know who makes it--just that it is out there.

I ready another post on this site--but that was for a Canadian source--looking for something here in the States.

Thanks all!!:cool::cool::cool:--from the NW corner of Iowa--where it hasn\'t rained in 5 days!! and the sun has been shining!!!

Terri...I actually found mine at the LQS but have also seen it at JoAnn\'s the one I have seen was made by Fairfield. I like the feel and how it quilts up, I have to say it really really thin....Almost as thin as Thermo... Not sure I will buy again it wasn\'t very cheap....a generous queen, was almost $48.00.

Warm and Safe is a newish product out by the Warm Comp. Made from poplar trees I think, something really fast growing and easily renewed. Also, when it burns (horror of horrors), it doesn\'t off gas and suffocate you. Quilted up nicely for the sample that I used.

Beth

Beth was the Warm and Safe thicker than the bamboo batting....the bamboo was not much thicker than about 10 sheets of paper...package said 1/8th inch, but not sure it was even that. Also what was the cost if you remember?

I had a new customer call me earlier this week and as a novice quilter, she had some questions. She is making a quilt (sounds like a crazy quilt of sorts as she describes it) memorializing her daughter who died eight years ago so it is truly a labor of love. Anyway, she was talking about the quilt store ladies who were telling her she needed to use bamboo batting, etc. I talked to her and told her what I knew and didn\'t know and but concluded that these ladies had an \'agenda\' and they had really shaken this new quilter up. I\'m glad to see this post. I really hadn\'t heard about bamboo batting but I know that it is "renewable" so...

I guess I had heard about environmentally friendly batting but had heard it melts in the drier (I can see the booth at MQS but can\'t remember the name). Discussions on these types of batting would be great, just so we can be educated by our customers.

I advised the quilter that this was a memorial to her daughter and a cotton batting would be appropriate as it would be an heirloom and I would hate to have the batting deteriorate sooner than later.

Donna

Good Evening Ladies,

The Bamboo batting is made by Matilda\'s Own. It is very thin, but feels beautiful and soft. It is heavier than Silky Wool or 100% Bleached cotton and about the same weight as Silky Cotton.

I know where to buy it in Australia, but cannot help you with an American distributor. It should be available through Kings Men Quilting (according to Google).

It would be ideal for something that needs drape.

I always thought that the bamboo would be stiff but it feels much nicer than any of the battings that have a mix of polyester in it.

I have been using a bamboo/cotton that is here in Canada. I find the weight of it similar to organic cotton (which I love). It quilted up beautifully, drapes well and washed and dried really good too! It\'s also one of the softest quilts I have.

Before I found this one, though, I had contacted Fairfield and like Linda says, they supply it too.

I say give it a try, especially if you can just get a couple of packages. I was able to get a 15 yd bolt and I\'ll probably be ordering one again soon!

Sandra

Hey Bonnie,

I only got a set of samples of the batt, so sewed them together to use in a doll quilt. Based on the pile of paper here in front of me, I think the warm and safe batt is thicker than 10 sheets of paper. Felt slightly lighter than warm and natural, maybe slightly thinner as well. I don\'t have an exact cost, like I said, I got samples. However, the rep at the time commented on it being more expensive to purchase, but that with it being renewable, it worked out in the end.

Beth

I\'ve thought about that, too, Merry Jo, about the cotton being renewable. I guess part of the intrigue with my customers is based on it being "trendy", that\'s what I think anyway!

I did have someone call a few minutes ago, they were interested in the bamboo \'cause it\'s supposed to be hypo-allergenic. Now, I don\'t know about our other battings, maybe they are hypo-allergenic and we just aren\'t aware of it???

I guess it depends on the manufacturer about thickness...mine is about the same as cotton.

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

So, isn\'t cotton a renewable source, too?

MerryJo....I think that they are calling Bamboo a renewable crop because they don\'t have to replant it each time...it comes back on its own from its own root. Where Cotton is a planted crop each year and without the seeds there wouldn\'t be a crop. It does not regenerate itself from a root base.

I think Bonnie is correct, Bamboo doesn\'t require all the chemicals either, that cotton requires. (fertiliser, pesticides, chemicals used in processing etc)

There is also a batting available made called Warm and Safe which is made from plantation timber. I have looked at it but the cost over here was AUS$38 for a crib size pack retail, so I passed on it. (Perhaps wholesale might be cheaper.) It is taunted as bio-degradable as well........ does that mean it deteriorates faster??

Well that is a good question so I went to the website and this is what I found.

{Warm & Safe is inherently and permanently fire retardant. By design, the fiber has a high silica content making the fire retardant properties built in from the start.

Warm & Safe will not melt, flow or emit toxic gases when exposed to heat and flame. Since Warm & Safe\'s fire retardant is inherent, it is non-toxic, non allergenic and chemical free.}

I would guess it won\'t attract the bugs because of the high silica content....this being a product that is used as a desiccant to control local humidity in order to avoid spoilage of some goods when it is in the bead form... Those little packages that you see when you buy something is Silica.

Also with it being primarily silica...wouldn\'t that make it a Poly looking batting? I personally haven\'t seen one or even touched it yet, but now am wondering if I will or will not like it.

Archived