Which machine?

Hi everyone,

I\'ve enjoyed reading through the posts here. Everyone\'s so helpful and friendly. I\'m in the process of looking for a longarm. I\'m checking out a used Milli this afternoon. Also considering a Lenni.

Any advice on the choice between these two machines? I\'m mostly looking to use it personally and for a few friends. I may want to start a business when I retire, but I\'d have to see how I like quilting on a longarm first. One consideration I have is weight. The Lenni is considerably lighter than the Lenni when I take a look at the specifications. The other is the size of the table. The Lenni is 10 foot, the Milli is 12 foot. I\'m not planning to do a lot of kings sized quilts so I think I\'d like to save the space.

For a few thousand more ( by buying a used Milli) I think I\'d get a lot more machine. But will I be happier with it? That\'s what I\'m wondering.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Minnesota

Jan,

Went through the same thought process. No business at this point - if ever - who knows. In the end I went for the Millie because it has so much more to offer and they will make a 10\' table at no additional charge! Also, DH said I should go for broke and get everything I wanted and not wish for something new and better in a few years. So, decision was easy - Millie with the 10\' table.

The weight was also an issue for me - 6 back surgeries in the last 12 years. Was fortunate to work on a Millie for several hours prior to making my choice and found it very easy to handle and my back was fine. The weight issue comes in when you have to take things down and put back together - DH will be around for that - also have friends!

My machine should arrive the end of next week - I hope so am very excited. I know that whichever machine you select, you will be very happy:D

and as excited as I am. Gook luck:)

Meg:cool:

Very good point Meg, I have been quilting with the Millie for 8 years now & still going strong with no aches & pains!

It\'s a sweet machine & I Love my Millie!!! :)

I test drove the used Milli and purchased it this afternoon. It\'s a 2002 but hasn\'t been used for more than 50 quilts. It dragged a little bit but other than that it\'s in perfect condition. I thnik I can work that out.

Now to figure out how to set it up and start quilting! There\'s no manual. Is there one available? Also where do I find set up information?

I\'m excited but know there\'ll be a learning curve. We\'re picking it up tomorrow night, so I have to get it\'s room ready.

I can\'t believe I finally took the plunge. I\'m so happy to be a part of the APQS family.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I think you made a wise choice. The Lenni is a great little machine, but the Millie has everything you could ever want.

You can order a new manual from APQS. It was written by our very own Dawn Cavanaugh and has lots of colored pictures, detailed descriptions etc. I think it\'s about $55, but well worth the cost.

What I love is that Dawn wrote it from a quilter\'s point of view, not a technician\'s. Yes, there is lots of technical information and advice, but it\'s clearly written so anyone can understand it. Dawn is not only a great writer, but also an award winning quilter. She knows how we think, how we need things laid out for us. I think you\'ll be blown away by the detail in the manual.

Good luck with your machine. The slight drag you felt is probably just a wheel adjustment that needs to be made.

Don\'t rule out replacing your wheels with all new ones tho\'. My sister bought a used machine many years ago that had been stored in a barn in Texas for 2 years. After struggling for weeks, we finally realized that the bearings in most of the wheels were bad.

Bonnie was all out of confidence by the time she agreed to replace all the wheels, but it was all back within 5 minutes of running the machine with the new wheels installed. :)

Just call 1-800-426-7233 and order a new manual. You\'ll be glad you did!

Jan,

Oh how exciting...I\'m sure sleep will be hard! LOL I was so excited before I got my machine that I couldn\'t think of much else. I have a milli and just love it. The users manual is really well written and it will help you tons; definitely worth the money! Keep us posted on your progress and don\'t forget to post pictures of your first piece!

Archived