How to...choosing thread

Here are a couple more questions to get us talking. Remember there are new longarmers (as well as some who are still trying to decide which machine to buy) and some with several years longarm experience reading this forum so your answers will help many of us. So . . elaborate!! :D

1. What is your favorite thread for use on the longarm? Maybe you have different favs for different projects?

2. What thread do you use in the bobbin? Same thread as on top or something different?

3. Always try to match the top color or the color of the backing?

4. Have you tried metallics and if so, what were your results?

5. Anything else you can share with us regarding thread??

Thanks!

1. What is your favorite thread for use on the longarm? Maybe you have different favs for different projects?

I love thread!

Signature Cotton - Some complain that it causes too much lint and it really does produce a lot so I have to be extra careful to keep the bobbin area clean. But, I like the stitch, I don't have any thread breakage and the price is right.

Superior Machine Quilting Thread - This is a great thread. It's poly but looks a lot like cotton. It's hard for me to use poly but I'm getting better. My experience has been that this thread produces little, if any lint. I've had no problems with this thread and I really like Superior Thread. They're nice people . . kinda like APQS!;)

Superior King Tut -- WOW! The variegated shades are the only ones out at this time but there will soon be solids and tone on tones. The variegated is so pretty! The colors change every 1.0 or 1.5 inches (can't remember) and it kinda has a sheen. It's just pretty!! Kinda pricey though.

Aurifil Cotton -- I like this thread but it's not as readily available as the Signature and Superior threads. I think Donita Reeve carries it. It's also a bit pricey. It's a 50 wt. and real easy to work with.

I've also used Star Cotton, Perma Core and Dual Duty with no problems.

I like Superior Perfect Cotton but it's a bit thick for my preferences. Their Poly Quilter works better for me but I like others better.

Of all the threads I've used, there's only one that I cannot use. It's nubby and poor quality so my recommendation is . . if you're trying a brand that you've never used, you might want to get a couple of cones (instead of 20 or more like I did!)

2. What thread do you use in the bobbin? Same thread as on top or something different?

Most of the time I use the same thread in the bobbin and on top. The exception is when I'm using a variegated on top. I almost always use a solid in the bobbin. I also use the Superior Bottom Line some time .. not all the time. (yet)

3. Always try to match the top color or the color of the backing?

I pretty much always use the same color in the top as in the bobbin.

4. Have you tried metallics and if so, what were your results?

Not much. I'm pretty much a traditionalist. I have used some of the Superior metallic and while I do slow down quite a bit when using it, I haven't had a lot of trouble.

5. Anything else you can share with us regarding thread??

Lately, when I've done heavy stippling on the quilt, I've used Bottom Line on top and in the bobbin and have had great results and it doesn't look nearly so "thready".

I believe Jamie suggested using a poly thread when you're first starting out and thta's probably a good idea. But . . don't forget to try the cottons after you're comfortable with the machine!

Hi all.

I shoulds start off with the fact that Im in no way a cotton purist, I do love some of the cottons out there, but I have found that I enjoy the sheen of good poly thread (and the strenth). Like Judy said everybody needs to find there own niche.

My favorite no brainer thread to use if I have to match to the quilt-top is Isacord, This is the thread I use the most. When I want to use a variegated my favorites to use are Medeira Polyneon and Signature Rainbows and Pixelles.

The past year My bobbin-thread of choice is Isacord, and I do match the color to the top thread as opposed to the backing. If I were to use pre-wound bobs I love and would use the 100% poly's that apqs carries which I think are coats, Tons on them and they could pull a tractor:D.

I do alot of thread-painting and fancy quilting in blocks, and I love useing alot of metalics for highlights My favorite metals to use ar YLI fine Metalics and superior metalics. I have also been loving the superior Glitter which is the ribbon metalic comparable to but stronger than Sulky Sliver.

Jamie

I am now to quilting machine.. had my Ult II since November..

I do have and love he Mettler Poly Neons. they are great.. hardly ever break.

I have the older signature cotton.. that breaks more often.

I love the polys ans the shine.. and I love varigated.

Always looking for a place with a good deal so if any of you have a good place to buy thread at better prices than some I have seen.. holler..

Linda Susie;)

Here's my two cents worth.

1. What is your favorite thread for use on the longarm? Maybe you have different favs for different projects? I use tons of different threads...from the old standby Coats and Clark machine quilting thread to Superior Threads some of the fav's however are seriously the Coats and Clark Machine quilting thread, after that Coats and Clark Signature and Star and YLI

2. What thread do you use in the bobbin? Same thread as on top or something different? I try to keep whatever is in the top in the bobbin.

3. Always try to match the top color or the color of the backing? Yes most generally, but have had great success with different colors as long as they are the same brand and thread weight. I find that if I use a different thread weight either in the bobbin or the top, there is a WHOLE lot of tension adjusting before I can get started.

4. Have you tried metallics and if so, what were your results? I love the Suprerior's Metallics...have done several that have won awards in quilt shows, and they seem to wash up well afterwards. I use the metallic in the top and an equal weight in the bobbin and so far great results.

5. Anything else you can share with us regarding thread?? If I find that I am have an abnormal amount of drag in the thread and I can't get it no matter how much I adjust, which I hate to move the mahine I only do that if neccessary, I use the Dritz product called "Sew Ease" on the top thread (I use a lot here) and in the tension area just a tiny drop and its like quilting butter....if you have a batting that is a little sticky I use it on the needle as well and it slides right through and takes care of the problems.

Hi all -

I've been checking in and out of the forum here, and like some others, the email reminders brought me back here. When it first started, it wasn't that busy or useful.

Threads = love 'em all. Or almost all of them. My favorites seem to change all the time - it's like the one I'm running is my favorite of the moment. I'm enamored with threads. Good threads, not cheap ones!

I sell Aurifil (40wt), Superior Bottom Line, and YLI Variegated threads through my website and the local quilt shop, they always run just fine. Just tried the King Tut thread, and boy oh boy is that a nice one! And the Superior Rainbows threads always work well. In fact, am a fan of the whole Superior line - Bottom Line, included. I don't care for Valdani threads - too linty and uneven. But I've even run cheap ol' serger thread, and it's worked.

For awhile, I was using whatever matched each side - which most of the time meant two different colors - and then spent hours trying to get the tension perfect so that you couldn't see the one thread on the other side. Bonnie mentioned that, too. And I have a little rule to not use more than a 20 wt difference.

But I'm seeing that I might save a little time by using a same-weight thread, and in a similar color to the top. I don't sweat the pokies so much, and I don't have them much, either. As my thread stash grows, it's getting easier to make a match.

So I think I'm gradually going to just matching the top now. Aot less hassle than messing with tension every time, although some times it seems to work with a few tweaks, and sometimes it really does take me a few hours. And I think my customers don't even notice most of the time!

When I buy thread, tho, I've been usually buying spools when I can. I like having a broader range of threads, rather than fewer but more of one color.

Yes, I've run metallics, mostly YLI metallics, but recently purchased some Superior metallics and haven't tried them yet.

Gotta go. Take care everyone!

Deb

The Quilt Diva

We use a lot of Madeira Polyester. We also have a commercial embroidery machine and find this thread works equally well on both machines! That way we can have twice as many, lol. Also use ARC poly for the same reason.

For quilting we use signature cotton on the bottom. We find Millie doesn't like poly bobbin thread very well, and we don't do things Millie doesn't like!!

• 1 year later...

I am still new to LAQ and am trying a variety of threads.....I have had no problem with the poly thread in the bobbin in my Millie. I bought the

thread holder which glues onto the top of my Millie and just used red, white, blue Superior threads on a patriotic crib quilt with prewound poly bobbin thread in white. worked fine. I like the king tut, the rainbows, yli and have mettler threads from my Bernina that I plan to try. i did buy a 2nd bobbin casing so that one can be used for pre-wounds and one for those I wind. Until the Millie , I used to be a cotton purist...except for

some of the metallics...sulky and yli. Even purists need the glitz every now and then. Going to Apqs in June to learn without so much trial and error.

Beverly in NC

• 3 years later...

I think I\'ve used them all! Geez!

1. I have different fav\'s for different projects. I do personally love the Superior Rainbows and King Tuts. I\'m really starting to like the Highlights, too!

2. I rarely use the same thread in the bobbin. I use whatever goes best, or contrasts with the backing depending on what effect I want. Funny, I usually buy 2 cones of a color when I get thread. My thought was to run one on the on-board bobbin winder side and one on the top thread. I hate guessing how many bobbins to wind and don\'t want extra bobbins sitting around if I guess wrong! I have one in the bobbin and one (full) on the bobbin winder. When I run out, I simply put the full one in the bobbin and wind the empty one. I start sewing while the bobbin is filling and it stops when full and waits for me.

3. I almost never use the same color in the bobbin as I do on the top. I adjust my tension by feel. I rarely have top or bottom thread showing on the opposite side. I\'ve McTavished with white on top and turqoise or black on the bottom and you can never tell what\'s on the other side. Just dumb luck, I guess. When I started, I didn\'t know any better, but I never have a problem with it.

4. I love metalics! Especially on oriental prints and gold outlined fabrics. I\'ve stitched very tightly with it and have never had a problem. I run the metalics through the thread path, but through only one of the holes instead of all three just before the tension disk. I keep the tension light also. Same as with the monopolys.

5. Some threads are very linty. I use canned air to blow out the bobbin. I\'m not crazy about them, but if the color it right, I\'ll suffer through stopping and blowing out the lint. I do like the Superior threads the best and they aren\'t linty. I have one customer who was buying Coats & Clark spools of varigated thread at Joann\'s. I had breakage problems with it and had to keep the tension light and sew slower to avoid breakage. It\'s probably fine for a DM but definately not made for the longarm. I finally made her stop bringing it. I charge a flat rate (too lazy to count bobbins) on varigated threads and she could use mine for less than it would cost her to buy enough spools for a quilt. I think she just liked picking it out! I told her I have all kinds of thread charts as well as drawers full of thread, so she can knock herself out if she wants to pick the thread!

Kellogg2,

To answer your question, when using the monopoly or clear thread, you loosen the top tension just about a far as you can go. You don\'t want to stretch the thread, and you want it to flow freely. You will have some tension on the thread, but very little. You will think the tension discs are going to fall off....really loose. For stitch length, I set that on the same number I would for any other thread, usually I run at about 12 stitches/inch.

Hi Kellogg2

When I use invisible thread (I think what I have is Madiera Monofil, but I\'m not sure cuz there\'s no label on the spool - its a VERY thin thread, tho) I loosen the rotary tension 3 full turns from my normal setting.

I use whatever stitch length is needed for the type of quilting I\'m doing - no need to alter that for invisible thread.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck!

Yes, you are quick indeed! I\'m impressed! :D

This is totally off topic, but I\'ve been messing around with pics today and learning how to do things like making avatars - instead of quilting.

If you\'re interested in seeing more Alaska, there\'s an album of pictures on my webshots page - not all on the same trip....but there\'s a couple pretty good shots of wildlife and such.

Sherri,

I think that I met you at MQS, didn\'t I. I remember thinking that you have a unique name. And I bet you take some kidding about it....HaHa, I\'m such a card.:D:D:P

I remember reading this post it seems like a hundred years ago. And JudyL\'s advice is just as good today as it was then. I haven\'t seen her post much lately. I did run into her at MQS though with DH in tow. Maybe that\'s why she couldn\'t come out and play with us.:D

Yes! We did meet at the APQS table! I didn\'t get to stay very long but I did get to meet a few ladies that day.

With a name like "Dolly" you can bet I\'ve heard lots of kidding! But that\'s ok.

Yeah, Linda - You\'re SUCH a "card".....Ha!

1. Favorite thread - Superior Rainbow. I love the sheen and the colors. Superior King Tut for more subtlety.

2. Bobbin thread - Superior Bottom Line, else Superior\'s So Fine if I need a color I don\'t have. I have found that the greys, off white, tan and taupe pretty much work on everything, but sometimes the customer really wants Hot Pink....

3. I never match the top color or the color of the backing - that\'s why I bought an APQS! I just adjust the tension and I never get pokies. I match the thread to the backing.

4. Metallics work great. As folks said, just thread the last hole in the tension guide above the tension disks and loosen the tension quite a bit. Stitch slower, use a larger eye needle and use Sewer\'s Aid on the thread if you have much breakage.

5. Anything else you can share with us regarding thread?? Don\'t be afraid to experiment. I like Monopoly for t-shirt quilts or when I don\'t want the thread to show (be prepared to replace your pigtails - Monopoly wears grooves in them).

Check out Superior Threads website education page - they have tons of great info about thread.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/

And no, I don\'t own stock in them... they just have a great product! For Christmas, my gift to myself was I finished out my collection of Rainbows - I now have every color they make....

I love thread and I love pulling out lots of options to see what will look great on the customer\'s quilt.

Julia :)

Originally posted by kellogg2

When using invisible thread - do you loosen the top tension and the stitch length?

Thank you.

When I use invisible thread, I wind my bobbin on my Bernina so it\'s not wound too tight. I\'ve used invisible thread in top and bobbin; at the same time; with no problems. Usually I make my stitch length smaller (tinier) when using this thread, which is usually with SID around blocks with a ruler.

First of all, JudyL, I love it when you help moderate. I\'ve turned some of my quilting buddies onto your blog and they love it.

1. I\'m a true fan of So Fine. I\'ve never had success with Rainbows and will use King Tut if I have to but I haven\'t ever had problems with So Fine (I love the new colors). I have determined over the years that I am truly a "shadow" quilter. Mostly, my thread color matches the fabric hence, you get a great suprise when you see the quilting in the shadows.

I generally use So Fine unless my backing color matches the colors I have in Bottom Line. I like using bottom line when I have E2E and I don\'t want to stress the bobbin change. I almost always match my bobbin thread to the backing color, the only time I deviate is when I have light color fill on the top and am worried about the bobbin color popping through. But I will really work with the tension so my backing thread matches the back. Again Shadow Quilting.

Never really used metallics but I have a spool or two.

Sharing. Remember that your machine has a personality and may like/dislike thread thread so work with your machine. Also, If you have a thread personality, own it, other quilters in the area may be more bold in thread choices, etc. But this is my quilting style so I signaturize it and highlight the "shadow" aspect of it. Don\'t try to be who you are not!

Donna

You all have been sooo helpful. My husband is actually the longarmer. But not happy to use the computer. Neither of us are fans of invisible thead. (I use a Bernina BSR) We both love So Fine & the varigateds. This quilt just has so much applique and color - didn\'t need anything else interrupting... We are just starting. Went to the show IMQA in Overland Park. Whoa!!! Learned a lot..very inspirational.

This is a fantastic site.

Thank you.

Earleene & Jerry

Hi Donna and all fab longarm quilters,

This is my dillema, I could never work my highlights and rainbow (and I have a lot of it in my stock) by Superior on my APQS. I used suggested needle size and bottom line on the bobbin and adjusted my top tension too. Maybe I am doing something wrong? I am about to order Towa Gauge, pls. give me some input, what needle to use and other tension problem solving stuff.

A s to my favorite, Signature is tops for me, work like a dream and I use Superior prewound bobbins.

I would like to match my superior thread sometimes with my bobbin thread, what is the secret on winding your own bobbin thread anyways?

Thanks

Corey

Archived