sparkle thread

:)I posted earlier and it went to cyberspace. Forgive me if this post shows up twice. I want to make a Christmas quilt for our show in Oct. I want to quilt it with snowflakes and want some opinions on thread. I\'ve never used any speciality thread, so don\'t know which one would work the best. Suggestions ? Thoughts ? Never use again ? Talk to me, Glenda

Glenda,

I\'m working on one right now where I want some sparking snowflakes. I tried the light silver metallic thread from Superior. It sparkles, but it is coming out tonight cuz I don\'t want to see the silver. I want it to look almost white in color, but still have some sparkle and I thought the light silver would accomplish this. NOT.

I\'m going to look at Superior tonight and see if there is something that might work better.

Debbi

Originally posted by hmerrill

I haven\'t tried it yet but Superior has a Halo thread called Snowfall.

No Heidi, you don\'t need to use this just in the bobbin...I have used on my machine from the very first sample spool Bob gave me back in the mid 90\'s. I treated it just like a mono thread and loosened up the top tension and used a 4.0 needle. Even tho this is a flat thread I had very little breakage and if I was having a bad weather day and getting breakage, I would just drowned it in Sewers Aid and all was well. This sews wonderfully from the top.

I didn\'t run it with a cotton or poly thread either, just plain old Halo.

I LOVE Superior\'s Glitter thread. Use it a lot, it has more shimmer (to me) than the metallics. It\'s not as thick though. I have run it with another thread the same color if I wanted it to show up more.

In my webshots, my Wild Onion Jacket (one that\'s got orange and turq stars on it) is quilted all in Glitter alone.

The TNI quilt with the little kids on the butterflies, the pink "stream" the butterflies are riding is Glitter and Maxilock (cuz that was the only thread I had in the color I needed). If I\'d had something more shiny like Highlights or Rainbows, that would have been cooler mixed with the Glitter I think.

Hey Linda, we are still \'getting aquainted\'. The turbo on it is so different ! I won\'t be doing this quilt for a while, I want to give Debbi a chance to figure it out for me ! LOL:P

Seriously, I\'m afraid to try it, my patience is VERY thin! If all goes well for her I\'ll order some. I\'m just in a quilting funk :( right now, nothing seems to be going right. Glenda

Hey Glenda, hang in there HONEY! We all go through the "get acquainted" period and we all have lots of odd snafus and goofs. It\'s all part of learning. Even though we can read the manual or a book, or watch the video a gazillion times or take the class, we all really learn through the school of hard knocks and just doing it, even if it isn\'t perfect or it\'s not what we wanted, just keep trying. You will overcome the hard times and the light bulb will go off over your head (not go out). Hang in there, little buck-a-roo. :cool: You\'re still in your fist year of marriage and have to figure eachother out.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I didn\'t get it yet because it said on the website that it had to be used in the bobbin.

I wonder if they were having to many complaints about it breaking and that\'s why they decided to promote it this way.

Halo isn\'t a thread it a flat sliver of a Halogram...it does break, but I never even thought about it and I didn\'t have anyone tell me I couldn\'t use it this way so just did.:P;):P Hmmmm I also learned something today...

Shana, what did you mean by Razzle Dazzle is too big. I use 12 weight thread in my machine when I want the quilting to really show or for a certain country look and it works just fine. I am sure that Razzle Dazzle is not that big.

I haven\'t tried it yet, but I bought the Razzle Dazzle for use as a top thread in my machine.

I made a Christmas quilt last year and didn\'t wait to get my order for Superior Glitter thread. I wish I had. I used Sulky Holoshimmer instead. The quilt (table topper) sparkles, however, the thread is very metallic feeling, while Superior\'s Glitter is smoother and softer but definitely has the same sparkle. Sulky Holoshimmer is flat and best described as scratchy on the topper. If I rub my hand across it, I can feel the sharpness from the edges of the thread. It\'s pretty. But the better choice, I think it Suprior Glitter due to its rounder thread-like nature.

I also used Superior Metallic Silver #00 on the table topper. I prefer that very much over the Sulky. This thread is nice and smooth and a round thread. Sulky Holistic is a flat thread, so you need to use the horizonal holder.

I used the Glitter Pink on my granddaughter\'s lap quilt. The sparkle was subtle but noticable since it sunk a little bit into the cozy flannel from Joanne\'s. She instantly remarked--it sparkles!! So, ya know the sparkle worked on that one.

The pic trys to show difference with look of:

Left - Sulky Holoshimmer

Right - Superior Metallic #00 Silver

post--13461899889266_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Bonnie

Halo isn\'t a thread it a flat sliver of a Halogram...it does break, but I never even thought about it and I didn\'t have anyone tell me I couldn\'t use it this way so just did.:P;):P Hmmmm I also learned something today...

Bonnie, Glitter is the flat sliver of film thread. Halo is really coarse and twisty. Not so much big, but not at all smooth. I made a mistake and bought this before I had a LA and used it in the needle of my DSM and it shredded constantly. I used it on my first LA when the dealer set it up and it worked, MUCH to her amazement, on the little bit I tried. She was sure it wouldn\'t. The cone I had had a bit of silver running thru it and that\'s what would shred on the DSM. I\'ve never tried it again, though I still have it. It\'s lovely, navy with a silver strand wound around. Maybe I\'ll try it in the bobbin sometime.

I have no problem using Glitter.

Originally posted by Chocoholic

Shana, what did you mean by Razzle Dazzle is too big. I use 12 weight thread in my machine when I want the quilting to really show or for a certain country look and it works just fine. I am sure that Razzle Dazzle is not that big.

I haven\'t tried it yet, but I bought the Razzle Dazzle for use as a top thread in my machine.

Hi! I haven\'t used Razzle Dazzle through the top before but I have couched with it. Perhaps it would work if you had a really large needle eye? Not sure what size needle would work on Razzle Dazzle. From what I could find, it is a size 8 weight thread. That\'s just a little bigger than 12 weight thread, so perhaps it will work through the needle? It looks a little "nubby" to me so not sure how smoothly it will go through the needle eye. If you try it on the top, let me know how it works and I might give it a try. Here\'s a link I found:

http://www.redrockthreads.com/superior-thread/superior-threads-razzledazzle.asp

The link above says it will work with the serger (which uses a needle)? I don\'t have a serger, so perhaps it will work with the longarm, too??

Originally posted by TracyeQ

Originally posted by Bonnie

Bonnie, Glitter is the flat sliver of film thread. Halo is really coarse and twisty. Not so much big, but not at all smooth. I have no problem using Glitter.

Heidi...maybe you should wait....I maybe totally all wet here.

Tracye....Now I\'m confused....I threw away a spool of "Now what was it" away about a month ago...it wasn\'t enough to use and over 12 years old so I pitched it. They came in a weird shaped box...there about 7 spools in the set and the were long spools (now I need to find the rest of the box)....I know it was the Halographic stuff, but I could have sworn it was called Halo....but maybe it\'s Glitter and I\'m having a Senior, Junior and Infant moment. This stuff looks alot like the Sulky SLIVER..... Off to the basement to dig in boxes. Thanks Tracye for the info....wouldn\'t want Heidi to buy something she couldn\'t use.:(

Bonnie, there may very well be more than one product called Halo. I bought my spool of Superior\'s Halo at a LQS before I had a LA cuz I thought it was pretty. Didn\'t have a clue that it might not be good thru the needle. I quilted a quilt using it and had nothing but fits with it. Hated it. So when the dealer brought me my first LA I pulled it out to see if it would run on it basically because I\'m not opposed to being difficult.:P And she was sure it wouldn\'t

Oh, I gotta run, Grammie just called and said she was going to stop by in a minute! Cool!

Bonnie not to worry if I couldn\'t use it in the top I\'ll make myself do some bobbin work! LOL now all I need is more time in the day! I\'m off to CT in about 30 minutes to help my SIL "do a little upholstry" no idea what i\'m really in for! LOL she does not sew at all and has no clue how long things take. In her mind it is only two cushions and a small chair! I probably won\'t be online at all until Sunday!

Archived