storage space at a premium

SandraC

In another forum, Darlene was showing a picture of the hydraulic lift...in the picture it looks like she stores some of her threads under the table. This made me wonder how other people utilize the area under the table. I could sure use some tips and tricks, since I am not one of the most organized people around!

Sandra

Before I moved and storage was a problem, I stored customer quilts in plastic covered bins under my machine. I was able to stack 2 bins x the length of the table, extra bins were stored in an unused bedroom. I did not care much for this because of the mess from thread and lint falling on top of the lids. We moved into our new home last fall and my new studio is much larger now:D I have a seperate area with hangers and shelves for the bins now.

I store my two most used batting - 80/20 and Hobbs Poly under the machine. I find it very easy to just pull up what I need, lay across the rails and cut against the table. When the rolls are new and full, I cover with full size sheets and pin - keeping them clean.

I have a large jelly cabinet that I store my threads. I keep the wrappers that the thread comes in and when finished with that color, I store the unused bobbins in the center and cover with the wrappers.

I have a unit of plastic shelving (5 shelves) $39 from Office Max for all my batting (I have packaged) A deep bookshelf holds the quilts coming in. I have a whiteboard to keep track of Customer / QOVs Quilts and dates. I use this to write down the size, etc. I have shoebox size plastic boxes for the threads. Under the table, I have a rolling card (tools, rulers, metal bobbins, etc) and I purchased a plastic file storage box and individual boxes to store my different color bobbins).

Cynthia

My sister uses a portable rolling clothes rack to hang customer's quilts on. Like me, she has her customer prep the top before bringing it for quilting. This includes several things, but ends with a neat folding and hanging on a plastic, drapery, or pant hanger. The quilt top & backing are covered with a plastic garment bag, the invoice is pinned to it and when she's ready to quilt, the quilt is ready to be quilted. No pressing, trimming of threads etc.etc.etc.

AND, she does something I was never smart enough to do. When she finishes piecing her own latest top, it gets put on a hanger with backing and batting, right behind the last quilt that came in. When it's HER turn, HER quilt gets quilted, just as tho' SHE was a customer! I always wondered how she got so many of her own quilts actually finished. Now I know! She is her own best customer. :D AND she always has something to show at "Show and Tell" at quilt guild meetings. Good advertising too!

Here's an idea I "borrowed" from my LQS. It is a 36" round piece of MDF with a 48" pipe in a pipe stand screwed to the center of the MDF. 4 casters on the bottom to make it moveable.I usually have it tucked in the corner and pull it out to cut it. As you see it now the bolt is about half full. Just to improve the appearance and protect the batting, I stapled some upholstery vinyl to the MDF circle.

post--13461897675023_thumb.jpg

Darlene, What a great idea your sister has to put her quilts in line. I'll have to start doing that. Now to be disciplined to do it instead of moving my quilts further back in the line.

As for being organized, I wear an apron that holds the things I use the most, scissors, seam ripper, needles, screwdriver, lint brush. Keeps things right at hand.

Want to make yourself feel like a real customer?? My sister even writes up an order form, just like she does for a customer, listing thread choice, pattern choice, measurements etc. THEN when the quilt is done, write your company a check from your personal account for the quilting. :D

OH! You got the machine so you could get yours done for FREE?! :P

Use whatever psychological tricks you have to to get your OWN quilts done. THESE are your advertising quilts. You take them to Show & Tell at the guild, hang them on your wall for customers to see etc. Actually, your company should write YOU a check for the use of your quilt for advertising. :cool:

Thank you, Norece, for mentioning the site for Quiltville.com!!! What a wonderful amount of information!!!

I've now organised with 7 friends to do an exchange of strips so we can try the scrappy bargello together. I've always wanted to try a bargello but was put off this summer at the thought of what seemed like a lot of sewing. When I saw the scrappy one, I thought ~ this is the one! I have a big weakness for scrappy quilts.:P

Thanks again......Sandra

Archived