Air Soluble Marker

Has anyone use the purple ...air soluble disappearing marker and have the lines turn black instead of disappearing like it is suppose to......If you have gotten it out..... please share....It only turned dark in a few spots....never had happen before on me....HELP...Clients quilt...

Way bummer! You could try grandma\'s spot remover or hydrogen peroxide. The only time I have seen this happen was when I used a temporary spray baste to adhere extra batting inside for faux trapunto. It could also be due to chemicals used in fabric prep by the manufacturer or the use of fabric finish and or spray starch by the quilt owner. This can also happen if the quilt was washed after marking and detergents and or bleach was used instead of clear water for the first wash.

I wish you luck with the removal, let us know what works for you.

Don\'t try anything until you have tried plain water!

Spray the marks with water. Wait until dry. Do not use any heat to speed the drying! If the marks are not completely gone, spray again with plain water, and wait until dry again.

Only then move on to other methods.

Senior moment.....

No it was heat.....not water...

Oh no..now I know what happened....

I marked the quilt with the purple marker...then I had a hot flash on that spot....

and the heat from the hot quilter set the marks.....

Some days it doesn\'t pay to get out of bed...

2 Hot 2 quilt

Linda Mc

Water doesn\'t set the purple marker....they disappear with humidity and that\'s water....

I have never heard of that ....but I do agree with Sherry that quilt basting sprays can set it and make it leave a darker mark and some chemicals in the fabrics also will do that....a good soaking should take it out...

Hi Bonnie

Yes I do remember the humidity thing...

Just hope the black lines come out....I\'ve had the quilt done for a while and to sick over the black marks to call the quilter....but good idea to make sure she washes it in cold water first before soapy water.....

Thank Linda Mc

Linda....even though you put the purple marker into the quilt....you may not have been the one who did the damage. Without knowing how she treated her material, or what she put into it before you started to quilt could have been what did it.

Did she wash the fabric and USE fabric softner....that could have been the factor right there.

IF she didn\'t wash her fabrics, and the manufacture had a special dye or some chemical treatment in their plant to ward off bugs that could have been the factor as well. Some factory places need to spray chemicals to keep the bugs off the fabric before its shipped....maybe some got onto the material, didn\'t hurt the material, but when you added the marker it left the black mark.

I understand your being sick about it....I would be driving myself nuts by now...but when you talk to her explain that the purple marker under normal circumstances DOES not do this....that there was something that no one could forsee that made this happen. And the only suggestion that you have is for her to bind it fast and get it into a washing machine starting out with plain cool water and then after rather long a period of time, add the soap and complete the cycle. She might even start the washer let it go to the rinse cycle turn it off and let it soak for an hour or so as long as its not to big for the machine and has room to swish around in...then restart and add a tiny amount of soap and finish...

Linda let us know what the outcome is....

I have never had a problem with the air soluable and in fact that\'s all I use unless it\'s dark fabric and need to use the pounce chalk and I spritz with water to get it out faster, some times more than once. But I have found that the tone on tone fabric with all that heavy paint? can cause major :mad:problems, so I\'m very cautious when I have to mark on that fabric and usually don\'t..just try to free motion when possible.

Hey the marks are gone this morning...I\'m doing a happy dance.....

Nita ...I was using Collins by dritz vanishing fabric marker...I had order a whole box of them...I use them all the time....never had this happen before...Bonnie had good points...we have no idea what is on the fabric when we get them.....quilter beware...Now on to the next quilt.....

Thanks all

Linda Mc

Guest Linda S

Recommendation on the air erasable pens -- buy the ones made by MARVY -- they have an eraser on the other end! If your marks don\'t come all the way out, simply erase them. Solves all those problems.

Linda

P.S. If you buy the Marvy pens, get the purple ones the pink doesn\'t work so well.

Judi, since there isn\'t anyone in Garden City that has them you can order directly from the company....link below. This is what I did, and have to agree with Linda..the pink ones don\'t last but just a few short minutes...the purple ones here in NY don\'t really work either...to high of Humidity.

https://www.uchida.com/eUchida/so/so_prod/so_prod_list.aspx?Cat1id=20020

Now Bonnie - How do you know that nobody in Garden City sells them??? We have such a boomin\' town - 2 Churches, one post office (going to part-time next year) and one Pop machine, it is old too - only 50 cents a can....:cool:

We did have a Pay phone but they removed it when they re-did the road.... oh the Book Mobile comes every other week!! Maybe they could bring me one!:D;):D

Glad it all worked out for you Linda. This has been great info. Perhaps asking customer about how they treated their fabrics would be a good addition to the initial conversation. If they\'ve used fabric softener and/or other stuff that might react adversely with markers I would consider asking them to wash the top or sign a waiver.

On the subject of fabric additives and treatment by manufacturers. As Bonnie mentioned, they do spray to prevent bugs and most fabric also has formaldehyde on it. Since I am allergic to it and have asthma I always prewash my fabrics with a delicate soap by Ecover and rinse well. This soap isn\'t perfumed either and is clear, no dyes.

I had to give up having fabric samples in my interior design studio because of the chemicals used on the fabrics.

Thank goodness a new piece of upholstered furniture doesn\'t seem to bother me or I\'d be living on wood and plastic chairs. How comfortable is that?!

Archived