TENSION

KerryM

I know there have been several threads on this subject in the last while, but I am still having problems with my tension. I am using so fine top and bottom, cleaned bobbin case, I did the drop test and it seems good, cleaned the machine, rethreaded, new needle, check to make sure my needle was coming down right to the bobbin case, my top is not too tight, "my machine moves like a mole under the surface" . the bobbin thread is a straight line in the back, the bobbin already drops to the floor on the test. How much looser could it go? The top thread stitches okay, then loop and loose sticthes, the top also loops on the back.

I have a Millie w/CQ. When Tina set it up it was perfect, I don\'t think I changed any settings drastically. Anything else I should look at?

Kerry

Sounds like you need to tighten up your bobbin tension a little so that it doesn\'t drop to the floor. Then tighten your top tension as well. It always seems backwards to me that if I have loops on the bottom, it\'s the top tension, and vice versa. Hope this helps!

Beth

Yup, loops on the bottom would make me look at my top tension. I thnk that I would start tightening both until the thread breaks and then back it off a bit.

Big turns on the top and tiny turns in the bobbin. I use the small hand on the clock to represent space of turn. Big turns on top means to crank that tension from 3 o\'clock to 12 o\'clock.

Tiny turns on the bottom means tightening the big screw in your bobbin case in very small increments. To use the clock symbol again. I would tighten my bobbin by turning the big screw to the right from 6 o\'clock to 6:10

You got excellent advice from Beth & Linda. But I wanted to add my $.02, too :) The bobbin should not drop to the floor -- when doing the drop test, hold it up over your hand, a table or over the quilt top and watch that the bobbin drops (rolls) slowly and slides down at a **consistent** smooth rate of speed (kinda like a spider) Not too loose (fast) and not too tight (slow).

Originally posted by KerryM

1) the bobbin thread is a straight line in the back, the bobbin already drops to the floor on the test. How much looser could it go? Kerry

**Kerry, when you get a straight line on back that means your top thread is not pulling your bobbin up into the batting. After you adjust your bobbin tension so it drops like I described above, then do another stitching test with your machine. If you still get the straight line on the bobbin thread that definitely means your top tension is too loose. Give that puppy a good full crank around clockwise. And test again. I would continue to tighten the top tension until you start to see a teeeny weeny peek of the bobbin thread in the hole the stitch makes. If you see the bobbin thread peeking inside, make a 1/4 turn adjustment to the top tension (loosening -counter clockwise) and that should be perfect. (well, it works for me..!) :)

Originally posted by KerryM

2) The top thread stitches okay, then loop and loose sticthes, the top also loops on the back. Kerry

**Kerry, when your top has loose stitches on the top and bottom like you described, that means your top tension is too loose. After you do the above mentioned steps, if you still get the top thread loops then tighten the top tension in 1/4 to 1/2 hour increments until you get the tension you like. Don\'t be afraid to make big turns with your top tension knob...one big turn does a little bit of tightening (or loosening) depending on which way you\'re turning it...

Happy quilting!!!!!! :)

Just got home from grocery shopping, DH will be so impressed. While I was out I did buy some chocolate, my favorite comfort food. When stressed out, eat chocolate. I should be 600 lbs by now. Thanks for all the tips, after I make lunch, DH will be really impressed I plan to spend the afternoon woorking on that tension issue. I hope I have enough chocolate!!!

Thanks again, will let you know how I make out

Kerry

Amy At APQS told us when it loops on top and bottom, it\'s the blue spring in the bobbin case.. need to bend the two little "flaps" up a bit since they\'ve worn flat from use.

Really fixed the problem for us.

Maybe it will for you, too..

RitaR

"the bobbin thread is a straight line in the back, the bobbin already drops to the floor on the test. How much looser could it go? The top thread stitches okay, then loop and loose sticthes, the top also loops on the back."

Kerry, don\'t know if you figured it out yet or not, but your top tension needs to be adjusted TIGHTER. It is not pulling the bobbin thread up into the sandwich like others have said. Check your thread path to make sure that the thread is in between the tension disks and then thread it through the needle. Pull the thread toward the back of the machine, your needle should flex just a bit when you get a good tension. Don\'t be afriaid to make big adjustments on the needle tension ( half to full turns if necessary). So fine is a thinner thread and depending on what was in there when it was set up, that could make a big difference in the tension. I would also tighten the bobbin just a bit so it doesn\'t drop to the floor, just crawls down the thread. It is definately mostly coming from the needle tension and not the bobbin.

Archived