room size

In a new house, I will at last have a sewing and quilting room. I would like to leave space for a future quilting machine, but I have made no decisions about which quilting machine to buy. That is several years down the road. How much room should I allow for a machine and a comfortable working area around it? I would like to leave the machine in "ready to use" mode at all times.

I have a very long room, 32\' x 14\'. I have my 14 ft table and then my sewing machine table, ironing station and room to move around. In the other area of the room I have all the my supplies, threads, batting, books, cutting table, etc. I really would love to have another 2\' going that way but it really is plenty of room. If your looking to have just your long arm machine and go with a 14\' table then the room needs to be no less than 16\' so you can easily get around the machine. If you want to easily get around both sides then you need at least 2\' on each end so that would be 18\' x minimum of 8 ft wide. I would feel very cramped in a space that narrow but it would work if that was all you had! We refinished our basement and that is my quilting studio. I love having all my stuff in one space and it is always ready for me to use!

I was able to design my room when we built a new 2 story garage. My room is 27 X 30 so I have the luxury of lots of space. I have a 14 foot table with plenty of space to move around it. All the info I read on this and other sites said to get the biggest table you have room for. I have never regretted it.

Archived