Introducing the All-New APQS Website!

Guest Linda S

It looks really nice, but I was just reading the tip of the day -- how to float a quilt, and have never heard of such a strange thing in my life. Now, yes, I do know how to float a quilt, even though I don't usually do it, but there is something definitely wrong with that little synopsis. Someone needs to take a look at that. It's utter nonsense.

Linda

OK call me a weirdo (and yes I know...I am the first to admit I am one) but I when I checked it out I actually understood the explanation, but I do agree the wording is a little sparse. Perhaps with the 'tip" there could be a link in the paragraph to some diagrams or photos or a web page that has more details?

In hindsight, maybe I understood the wording in the tip because I do the partial float method on my quilts all the time?

Lindasewsit, a while back there was a discussion on floating a quilt. I remember Patty Butcher (Katydids) provided a great explanation. Here is her quote:

Originally posted by Katydids

"Float" terminology is referring to the "quilt top" and not the backing fabric.

Full float - quilt top is not pinned to any of the leaders. It just hangs loose over the rollers and you can pin baste it to the backing or stitch baste it to the backing.

Partial float - the quilt top is pinned to the quilt top leader (at the bottom of the quilt top) and rolled up on the quilt top roller. Then you run a stitching line across the batting and backing fabric and baste the quilt top to this and then quilt.

The backing fabric HAS to be attached the the backing leader.

Clear as mud, eh? :P

Guest Linda S

What got me is it tells you to "stitch the top to the batting, all four sides." Do any of you stitch your top to your batting on all four sides before you begin to quilt it? I surely hope not -- you'd have a serious mess on your hands. That needs fixing as far as I'm concerned.

Linda

Originally posted by Linda S

What got me is it tells you to "stitch the top to the batting, all four sides." Do any of you stitch your top to your batting on all four sides before you begin to quilt it? I surely hope not -- you'd have a serious mess on your hands. That needs fixing as far as I'm concerned.

Linda

OK Yes, I see what you mean there, Linda. No, I do not stitch on all four sides; after everything else is done, the very last step I do (stitch down the two sides.) I agree this tip needs a little more detail and explanation.

Archived